Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Hdmi question

I have an 11 metre run (2 5m cables, a 1m cable with joiners in between) going to my plasma from my gaming PC and when I switch to it I get a sort of coloured ghost effect around some of the image for half a second or so. The colour is kind of the outline of the object which takes up the most space onscreen. Could this damage my tv?

Kind of weird that you'd get analogue-like distortions when HDMI is digital. I can't see how it could damage your TV though.

Depending on the quality of the cables you're using, the problem might be an old friend of mine - signal attenuation.

If it only happens right after you switch inputs, it's probably just a thing your TV does and nothing to worry about. If the cables were bad, you wouldn't get any picture at all.

That's not entirely true -it's possible to build-in some resilience and fallback capability into a digital signal, at the cost of increased overhead and complexity (e.g. switch between lower and higher bit/signaling rate signals) though it would be strange to use such a scheme for an indoors cable.

In any case, it looks like HDMI doesn't include such a scheme, but it's possible to get data errors by using long cables and/or dodgy connectors. In that case, the TV might detect the errors and try to "compensate" for them by replacing digital noise with some sort of filtering and blending with surrounding pixels -which will get you blurry images and "ghosting".