Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

good calc for windows xp?

What calc for Windows XP would you recommend? My main problem with the default one is that it's just so small and I don't see any way to resize it??

You could try this. I'm not too sure if that's any bigger for you, but I find that it's an excellent calculator nonetheless, and isn't operating system specific.

Real Doom players use calc.exe.

On a more serious note, that's really the only calculator app I've ever used on Windows, from 3.1 up to 8.1.

Well I somehow deleted 'stuff' one time and all my xp games and calculator disappeared, so I downloaded 'microsoft calculator plus', probably just youtube it to see if its what you want. Works, the conversion crap on the side is dumb but whatever.

Calculator? I'd say just about any free one out there, just pick the one that has font at a size you approve of and go for it.

Since I'm still using the older version before the GUI change (I use the version that's in the Ubuntu repositories), I don't know if the size will be suitable for you, but I really like SpeedCrunch. (It's available for Windows and Mac as well so that's why I'm mentioning it.)

I find it stupid that calculator apps on computers and mobile tend to be virtual simulations of classic hardware calculators. We have all this power to parse math expressions as if they're written on paper, yet we still use crap like pressing 1 + 2 = and see result, then apply sine on the result, instead of just typing sin(1+2) [enter]. Especially frustrating on mobile, where searching "calculator" only yields stuff like I said, often priced. SpeedCrunch is a great counterexample. On OSX I use the Dashboard widget Calculate, which is based on Javascript.

Get a real calculator, you bum.

printz said:

We have all this power to parse math expressions as if they're written on paper, yet we still use crap like pressing 1 + 2 = and see result, then apply sine on the result, instead of just typing sin(1+2) [enter]

Which is ironic, considering that today even the cheapest (like the $5 knockoff) scientific calculators offer some sort of "Direct Algebraic Logic" or a similar kind more user-friendly input.

Yeah, a calc where you could enter formulas, remember them, etc would be great. Yesterday I had to count same J=mr^2(gt^2-2h)2h several times for different parameters and I felt pretty stupid doing essentially the same thing over and over again. I'll look into the suggestions, thank you.

Download python 2.x and drpython (or some other language). Then type:

def myfunction(m,r,g,t,h):
    return m*r**2*(g*t**2-2*h)*2*h

print myfunction(2,3,5,4,2)
Save as whatever.py, and click play

Add parentheses if necessary since I don't know the exact order of operations. But you can feed any parameters to the function named 'myfunction' that way and its better than a calculator.

Integers are different than decimals though:
6/4 is 1 (ignores remainder)
6.0/4.0 is 1.5 (same if one is decimal and one is integer, it auto converts)
So probably better to go:
print myfunction(2.0,3.0,5.0,4.0,2.0)
or change the function so it multiplies each by 1.0, thus converting to decimal.

Why don't you get an HP calculator emulator? Thye aren't difficult to use.