Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TendaMonsta

Thought Experiment for any SpeedRunner

id Software themselves revives and redesigns the Compet-N website but. . .

Adds a parameter that completely eradicates random damage spread (hitscan & projectiles now deal static damage), but every other "random" element remains the same. Enforces this parameter in every speedrun though.

Prboom-Plus is recommended and highly suggested for any WAD file

"Standard Face HUD" gets updated to show stat totals, and time elapsed.

Has a voting system on which WADs should make the exclusive VIP list for Compet-N

How would you respond? This is obviously not well thought out.

Decry it as worse than holocaust and threaten to quit life and/or theirs if they don't stop desecrating what literally everyone on the planet plays and loves the way it is. Unsubscribe from game, tweet maniacally for a week how everyone should do the same, subscribe again, continue playing like it didn't happen.

I dunno, removing random damage would probably have some weird gameplay effects and it would obviously be incomparable to the oldschool branch, but with enough participating players such standalone competition could be fun.

I don't think I'd mind if the non-hitscan enemies dealt consistent damage. Depends whether the change made the overall game harder or not. Hitscanners would probably become even more frustrating than they are now since you'd be entirely at the mercy of the rng that governs whether they fire or not.

Updating the HUD to show time elapsed and level stats would be a good change. The twitch streamers already have something a little like this anyway.

Ryback said:

I don't think I'd mind if the non-hitscan enemies dealt consistent damage. Depends whether the change made the overall game harder or not. Hitscanners would probably become even more frustrating than they are now since you'd be entirely at the mercy of the rng that governs whether they fire or not.

I didn't explain no random spread well enough with hitscan enemies. Your hitscan weapons (projectile weapons as well) will deal static damage but former humans or any monster with hitscan still has built in randomness in terms of hit & miss or how accurate they are.

One of the biggest reasons I'm extremely frustrated when I attempt any run is Hitscan/projectile RNG and I really feel that the game (competitive wise) would be more balanced, especially for Tyson runs or maps that have a reliance on going Berserk!!! I think that my RS05 Max relied too much on generous RNG to achieve 2:16 and I don't think I truly deserve that time.

There would have to be slight tweaks for enemy HP and how much damage is dealt, but it would be interesting if Prboom-plus had an option to disable random damage spread unless that is already possible?

I'd welcome it. Especially the non-randomization: it would remove a lot of frustration for speed runners, and they would be able to plan around it, since sometimes, receiving damage is inevitable.

Also, any increasing involvement of ID with the game can only be good for public awareness of game and hence the efforts of mappers, runners, artists, musicians, etc. That is unless they try to restrict our roles in this somehow.

TendaMonsta said:

id Software themselves revives and redesigns the Compet-N website but. . .

Adds a parameter that completely eradicates random damage spread (hitscan & projectiles now deal static damage), but every other "random" element remains the same. Enforces this parameter in every speedrun though.

Prboom-Plus is recommended and highly suggested for any WAD file

"Standard Face HUD" gets updated to show stat totals, and time elapsed.

Has a voting system on which WADs should make the exclusive VIP list for Compet-N

How would you respond? This is obviously not well thought out.

positively, since id itself got attention again here, but for the details, I'm sure they'd consider community ideas