Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Sprites

Looking at some of the new talk going on in FreeDoom regarding edited sprites, I was inspired to practice some sprite editing of my own, just out of curiosity. I don't actually have any practical use for any of this stuff but thought I'd share it if anyone had any comments.

I'm not sure why doom's colored torches weren't made to look like this in the first place.

I made this stalagmite variant from scratch. I think the contrast is a little strong, but whatever, it took me like 5 minutes and I tried to remember the color and shapes from memory. Might try a new mangled tree next.

I've always wanted to make a Cacodemon variant named "Necrodemon" or "Ectodemon" so without any planning I went ahead and tried to make a decrepit looking cacodemon to fit the name. It's not very well inspired though. I'll have to think of new concept ideas to justify the name of the monster.

When I first learned how to import sprite lumps into a wad, my first graphics mod I ever attempted to make was one where all the HUD weapons were pointed from the right, using the reloading frames from shotguns and plasma gun and stuff and trying to rotate them. Obviously they all looked really bad but this is my first serious attempt at making a HUD weapon sprite from scratch. If I have the patience I might try it with all the weapons I think I captured the weird pointy-looking perspective of the shotgun pretty well. I don't actually know much about what shotguns look like IRL so most of it is just inferred from what I can see on the sprite alone.

Here I tried to capture that grainy low-quality photo look of the Doom 1 hanging bodies. I'm pretty proud of this one :)

A sprite recolor/edit modeled after a monster idea I had for a mod for a (very) different game many years ago. The monster was an orc/dinosaur looking thing with an executioner mask and a chaingun for an arm. I tried a variant version on the mancubus, giving him dual chainguns/autoshotguns, an elongated hunched neck, a new set of teeth and green skin.

I'd like to do this more often but making an entire sprite sheet for some things is painfully boring. It only takes me a half hour or so to do the more intricate ones. Even the shotgun made from scratch didn't take very long, except when I had to make adjustments to make it look closer to the original shotgun. But once you finish one frame you get bored of it and want to work on something else.

Most of them seem kind of amateurish compared to the originals, but that undead caco looks exceptional. I'd like to see you play with that concept more.

The bright center in the green torch fits, but the blue isn't so. Maybe candle flame like colors would be better, or the blues that are still blue enough.

Necrodemon is cool. Could have some more hanging stuff? It's sort of like the Doom3 cacodemons.

The green monster looks like something that could have been in a game with some doomed space marines.

If I am not mistaken, the Realm667 Bestiary already has a sort of "necro cacodemon", named a Cacolich (?), but it doesn't look anywhere near that creepy

From the sprites in the OP, I'm really digging the mancubus variant, but the other ones are rather mediocre. The corpse's position doesn't make sense, that's not how a body naturally passively hangs down. The caco edit isn't bad at all as just 1 sprite, but if it became an actual monster with full rotations, I can already imagine it looking dull as hell in the game, specially in lower light levels. The rest of the sprites look quite unnatural, definitely worse than their models. Either way, congrats, it's all awesome work compared to what I've ever done myself (->only tiny pickup edits), that's for sure.

Maes said:

If I am not mistaken, the Realm667 Bestiary already has a sort of "necro cacodemon", named a Cacolich (?), but it doesn't look anywhere near that creepy

The Cacolich is a Vader edit. He had a new version, with a non-symmetrical design, in the works but it's unlikely he ever took the time to finish it as he was quite busy back then.

maybe the hanging guy poblem would get solved if he was tied hands and feet into a pole instead of hanging, also the zombie caco would be good on a texture, like in those tortured baron textures, but for the cacodemon

The hanging guy has his arms tied behind him (like the way police handcuff people) and then hung from the ceiling. Shoulders don't twist that way which is why he looks all weird. In theory his own body weight might dislocate it or something though.

That Caco would make an excellent piece of scenery with a big spike through him. That little green manc with chainguns in badass! Oh, and the green torch definitely looks better.

The Necrodemon would've been a great monster for The NIGHTMARE! Palace, another map. Done for now.

However, still in its beta state. Taking a break.

Oh hey, this is my 250th post. THE SKULLFISH RISES!

I like the coloring work on the hanging body but it definitely looks like he's got his upper arms and body tensed, like he's trying to bend over. If he were dead he wouldn't be hanging so bent-like. The mancubus is cool, and I love that dead cacodemon. It might look even better if the bits of the lower jaw that were left looked more dangling and unhinged a bit. (A Google search for "cacolich" got me this sprite design Vader did a while ago...wonder if he ever finished it?)

The body is easily my favorite of the bunch. I'd like to see it in-game. Maybe I'll just borrow it sometime :P That shotgun though... Ehhh...

I really like that deadodemon, though the shotgun looks like an inflatable toy that's been left to leak for a couple of hours.

Impie said:

Most of them seem kind of amateurish compared to the originals...

Disagree - they look great! Please finish!