Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gggmork

game subgoals/ challenges

You know how in doom the defined win is merely hitting the exit switch, but by adding additional challenges the programmer maybe didn't even intend (adding time to the equation to do it as fast as possible with max kills, tyson, etc) it becomes more, uh, challenging and fun. Here's some I thought of, maybe add to the list if you're a boring faggot:

original gameboy tetris, play on b-type, level 9, height 0 and try to get 100% tetrises (7). If you get a gap anywhere except at the end you're screwed because then u can't clear 4 lines at a time. You're at the mercy of the random number generator but was still fun and not too unrealistically hard, and sometimes you lose simply from lack of needed long shapes. Anyway I just did that and this topic is mostly to gloat about that pathetic waste of time "accomplishment", but I turned it into a more general topic as a loophole so it doesn't have to go in blogs.

road rash ii- beat whole game w/ 100% 1st places in a single run, no saves, no arrests or wrecks... I do NOT recommend doing this, you will waste tons of time like I did and fail way out on level 3 or 4 and have to start all over again and again. Its more fun to play without this sub goal (often fighting pisses off cheating characters like natasha who can make it impossible to get 1st place). I eventually gave up and did it with cheats by using saves in an emulator.

shining force gameboy (edit: I meant genesis, doi)- beat it with only max, kill off every other character and never attack w/ any other character. I did that in an emulator, semi cheating to see which moves worked without having to restart, it was.. boring, the ai is stupid and its just about exploiting it like moving to only trigger 1 enemy at a time to attack you.

super street fighter genesis- beat the game on hardest w/o losing a single match (did it with ken many times, guile and fei long a couple times).

contra iii- hardest in 1 life (I did it too long ago to remember specifics and have little interest to play such a linear game again). It was just a lot of memorization.

hearts- stupid xp card game, start new game at 0 points, shoot the moon 100% of the time (get all hearts and queen of spades) for every game all the way to 100 or whatever. Its pretty fun but random number generator based.

I've always wanted an 'old school achievements' site for games that don't have achievements and just people that want to do stupid things like beat Doom episode 1 with 50 bullets and under.

15 years ago I did the Contra 3 challenge. I'm sure I've mentioned it on the forum before, my friend's little brother watched me over and over again beat Contra 3. Like every day. Since he was a kid, instead of wanting to watch the same movie over and over again, it was wanting me to beat Quake 2 on N64 or Contra 3 over and over again.

Eventually to throw me, he wanted me to try the hardest difficulty so he could laugh at me if I failed. Eventually I got good and from there I became deathless.

Castlevania 4 is a lot more time consuming to do deathless.

My personal fave that I've never yet seen anyone else attempt to do is complete all the missions on GTA 2 with a maxed out wanted level the whole time. Theres a debug mode that lets you add to your wanted level by pressing 4 on the numpad, so if you do a mission where you have to say, take your vehicle to a respray shop to shake the police, I just press 4 a bunch of times to restore my wanted level right after. There are no jobs where having a wanted level fails the mission, but there are some complex stealth missions, protect a special guy from dying, jobs where you have to stay in one spot for a duration of time, or drive a specific vehicle from one location to another without destroying it or getting out that makes the police a real bitch to cope with, but im 100% sure all missions are doable. The max wanted level on city 3 triggers in the army which I might argue makes most missions pretty much unbeatable, but I suspect a really determined player could discover a thin ray of hope to complete each job. Ive completed every job on the first city at least once, but never all in one run. I've done most of the jobs in the second city too. GTA 2 plays back pre recorded demos from the main menu, so im curious if theres a demo recording parameter i dont know about.

contra hard corps is a really difficult game. I never truly beat the game but I remember playing it so much that I completely memorized all the patterns up until the parts I hadn't successfully played up to yet. So at times id get through four or five straight levels without losing a single life up until reaching a miniboss I hadn't yet fought, and they'd usually be so hard to learn that I often spent all of my lives and continues trying to beat it. Then id have to play through the game perfectly again up to that point so I could apply what I learned :/

Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire for both N64 and PC had a number of challenge points per level which were mostly obtained by collecting silver rebel symbols hidden in obscure parts of the maps, others were gained by killing or destroying certain things in certain maps such as destroying red asteroids in one of the space levels and destroying AT-AT's on the Hoth level via tow cable which is a fast but difficult way of destorying them, rather than just slowly getting their health down via the Airspeeders lasers which won't get you challenge points.

Play some FPS game with flipped controls... mouse in left hand, keyboard in right. Or the other way if these are your normal. I played Quake2 Hard skill with the flipped controls. Then later I found out about Hard+.

Play a game through without taking any damage. I got to the middle of the mining level in Deadspace. Usual being the 2nd time at the medical area in the room with the regenerator, spitters and babies, or near the end of the level.

gggmork said:

super street fighter genesis- beat the game on hardest w/o losing a single match (did it with ken many times, guile and fei long a couple times).

You must have crazy good timing and muscle memory, I'm a decent player but I always lose at least a few times doing this. I play on SNES but its like 99% indentical anyways.

Jimi said:

Play some FPS game with flipped controls... mouse in left hand, keyboard in right. Or the other way if these are your normal.

I'm left handed with a mouse. Always. Why wouldn't everyone be? The enter key is on the right. The number keypad is on the right, the arrow keys are on the right. Its so much more efficient and schools should really be teaching it.

The real difficulty is playing FPS on a laptop touch pad.

Try playing any version of Cadash (arcade, PC Engine or Mega Drive) by skipping weapon and armor upgrades, taking dangerous shortcuts (such as diving without getting the Scales of Mermaid) and avoiding using inns to heal and replenishing MP as much as possible.

Well i remember i beat Ratchet and Clank series(except Deadlocked/Gladiator) without upgrading my armor, i did that so i could save bolts when i had max nanotech.
Those were such good times.
In Gran Turismo 4 i've beaten some races with a weak car maxed out.
I had beaten Armored Core Last Raven Portable with all missions finished and all parts collected.
I also i did that on AC3:SL as well in the previous year.
And i beaten SSFIV:AE on hardest with Zangief and T.Hawk on PS3.

I do not think that challeges like playing doom pwads without taking any damage are fun. For example map 31 of Unholy Realms, I am glad I am at least alive so far.

I think, there were some demos, where someone attempted to play episides of ultimate doom in such way, that not only he did not take a single point of damage, but also made sure it was not even possible for him to take the damage, one map took even 7 hours.

Sokoro said:

I think, there were some demos, where someone attempted to play episides of ultimate doom in such way, that not only he did not take a single point of damage, but also made sure it was not even possible for him to take the damage, one map took even 7 hours.

Doom: Extreme Snaking edition?

Ironically, that's closer to the way a real-life strike force (whose members would have no immediate death wish) would operate, if they had to clear a building or facility full of armed hostiles.

Battles would be given room by room, but with a lot of covering, ducking and possibly negotiating in between, with hours of idle periods. Nobody would rush forward in the way the Doomguy does. Maybe for individual assaults and only after gathering enough intelligence on how many enemies are in a room, where they are etc., never jumping head-first into the action.

Try to defeat an enemy robot in OMF 2097 with only the arena hazards. You can punch/kick air, or the fire globes in the fire arena, but none can hit the enemy directly.

Easier OMF 2097 challenge: Tournament mode, pick a robot with attacks that can hit multiple times. Defeat the enemy with over 100% accuracy. Note: I'm not sure if this is why it can happen, or if it's some kind of bug that could happen with any robot/attacks. I think my record is 115% with Katana, and most recent was 110% with Chronos (was also a perfect match), his axe kick is pretty awesome. Nova can probably do it too.

I remember goldeneye for N64 had you do some very difficult tasks in order to unlock secrets and cheats. I think that is a great incentive to try to accomplish those achievements. Not only will you have bragging rights, but you can also play around with special cheats.

Complete 7th Guest in 1 sitting. I used to be able to do it with Maniac Mansion.