Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
t3hPoundcake

Key Based Switch? [Lower Floor Action]

Recommended Posts

I'm bracing myself for the "it's not possible" answer :(

I've been designing maps recently and the one I'm working on right now I have set up so you fight some demons, get the blue key, and I want a switch to lower the floor opening up the next area of the map, but I want it to be based on having the blue key otherwise my level design is literally useless.

Is there a way to make the floor lower action based on a switch require a key? Can I write a script somehow myself or what. What do I need to do to make this work. Maybe theres another trick to make it do the same type of thing but not use the lower floor action?

Any help would be appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post

A simple workaround would be to have a blue door in front of the switch. If you don't have enough room for a conventional door then you can make a mini-door with a switch texture in the switch indent. An example would be Congestion 1024's MAP04 if you really need a demonstration. If you're working in ZDoom however then you can easily write some ACS scripting that only activates with a blue key: check the ZDoom Wiki and you should find your answer there.

Share this post


Link to post

Exactly the answer I was hoping for. I'll mess around with the door idea and if it works fine I won't bother with the scripting. Thanks a bunch.

Share this post


Link to post

In fact if you're mapping for ZDoom in UDMF, every special can be given a lock number now.

Share this post


Link to post
Gez said:

In fact if you're mapping for ZDoom in UDMF, every special can be given a lock number now.


I just recently started mapping, I just tried to door setup to "hide" the switch and it worked perfectly.

I heard UDMF was a bit more challenging to map, although you can do a lot more with it.

Share this post


Link to post

I wouldn't say it's more challenging to map for UDMF than for Hexen format, since in fact all features are more easily accessed. There's more features more obviously available, which might be a bit overwhelming and might cause some people to feel "obligated" to use everything they can use. It's perfectly fine to only use basic features in UDMF.

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for the info, I'll check it out. I finished my first map of my wad, but I'm running into problems now using SLADE to get it into an actual pwad that can be loaded without opening the map via console...giving me a bunch of problems maybe when I get the energy to try it again I'll look for some answers on here and if I can't find a solution I'll ask around some more. Thanks for the info.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Hi all, is it possible to implement a key-based switch that raises/lowers a floor in Boom: Doom 2 (Doom) format? I see some are pointing to Hexen and UDMF but I'd like to see if this is possible in Boom for Doom 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
On 10/22/2014 at 4:33 PM, t3hPoundcake said:

I heard UDMF was a bit more challenging to map, although you can do a lot more with it.

 

It takes time and effort to map properly for any mapping format.

From way back, I've been advocating to start mapping for Doom in Hexen format or UDMF

with preference going to UDMF nowadays.

 

As you are finding out, mapping for vanilla DOOM format is not so easy.

As a matter of fact it can be downright daunting or impossible in some situations.

 

Whereas mapping for UDMF presents many easy solutions out of the box.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, boris said:

Obsidian's post has the answer you are looking for...

 

Thanks boris, I did read Obsidian's suggestion but having a hard time understanding the steps involved:

 

1) Does the Door need to be right in front of the key-based switch?

2) Does the Door become the "moving platform" in this workaround?

 

In my map the key-based switch is far away from the moving floor that it's supposed to raise, so wondering if Obsidian's suggestion has some limits. Thanks for the help.

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Gustavo said:

Hi all, is it possible to implement a key-based switch that raises/lowers a floor in Boom: Doom 2 (Doom) format? I see some are pointing to Hexen and UDMF but I'd like to see if this is possible in Boom for Doom 2.

 

I posted a similar question about a keyed exit switch last year. With Boom, it's relatively straightforward to do without resorting to ACS scripting or UDMF.

 

  1. Put a voodoo doll on a conveyor belt behind a keyed door that is closed enough to stop the voodoo doll from passing under it (I use 48 units, but anything less than 56 is sufficient).
  2. Make the keyed switch trigger the door to open (fast is usually sufficient).
  3. Put a W1 trigger line just on the other side of the conveyor belt door so the voodoo doll triggers whatever action (in this case, your floor to raise/lower).
  4. How instantaneous the action is relative to you using the key switch will depend on the speed of your conveyor belt, the thickness of your door, and how close you put the W1 trigger on the other side of the door.

 

I successfully used this method in my 4800 Hell Knights map to make two both a keyed exit switch and a keyed stair rise.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Gustavo said:

 

Thanks boris, I did read Obsidian's suggestion but having a hard time understanding the steps involved:

 

1) Does the Door need to be right in front of the key-based switch?

2) Does the Door become the "moving platform" in this workaround?

 

In my map the key-based switch is far away from the moving floor that it's supposed to raise, so wondering if Obsidian's suggestion has some limits. Thanks for the help.

A common practice is to place a door directly in front of the switch, that, after opening, reveals another switch that can do any action. I attached an example WAD.

 

keyswitch.gif.eb8da3bd81dd1f41aa252c8f2ec43c76.gif

keyswitch.zip

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, boris said:

A common practice is to place a door directly in front of the switch, that, after opening, reveals another switch that can do any action. I attached an example WAD.

 

keyswitch.gif.eb8da3bd81dd1f41aa252c8f2ec43c76.gif

keyswitch.zip

 

Thanks so much for the example @boris!

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×