Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marcaek

50 Shades of Graytall (now on idgames!)

so, i know this is a bit early to inquire about, but has there been any thought regarding what music the maps should have? i have this unused dark ambient MIDI that was gonna be for some Doom 64 to Doom 2 project, which i believe was rejected due to them wanting a different style of music there. it's fairly surreal, and i thought it might fit the scope of this project, but i don't know if you guys have a different idea in mind for the music.

SteveD: yes map01 was me :V I'm glad I was able to break you so quickly!

Jokes aside, the intention is that on UV you need to run until you can get a weapon, which isn't too far from the start. You'll have to contend with the revs barehanded until then though! There are shotguns on lower difficulties, and the map prob wont be in the 01 slot in the end.

doomhuntress: basically, midis are "whatever the author likes most" unless it's painful to listen to. If you'd like to link some work for people to use that'd be cool.

Marcaek said:

SteveD: yes map01 was me :V I'm glad I was able to break you so quickly!

Yes, you did indeed break me in a hurry! ;D I'm happy that for once I was able to identify a map's author simply from the sheer cruelty -- with humor! -- of their design. And this after only playing 2 of your previous maps. And what does it say about me that I keep wanting more? ;D

I'll give it another go soon, even if I end up backing down to a lower difficulty. Threading past Revvies, a Hell Knight, and facing that Sergeant is a lot of dodging for a keyboarder when all I get at the end is a single shotty and have to do a lot more dodging immediately thereafter, especially after being wounded by those damned chaingunners. Sheesh!

I've gotten into something that will take a few days to finish, but way on. Of course, the sky is gonna be transferred into something which is 1) gray 2) tiles better.

Fireblu as the sky will fit perfectly, you won't even need these pillars and just keep the candles in the same place as before.

joe-ilya said:

Fireblu as the sky will fit perfectly, you won't even need these pillars and just keep the candles in the same place as before.

I was thinking about setting DOORTRAK as the sky, but now I'm quite indecisive.

Please don't, that looks awful and this isn't meant to be a joke project. You can probably use fireblu skies in specific areas but it's very hard on the eyes that way.

Hey just posting to let you dudes know that I'm still working on a map for this:

I haven't felt particularly motivated lately, but so far something is coming together from all of the rooms I've been stitching together. I haven't touched the visuals or gameplay yet. I'm guessing the layout is probably 3/4th of the way done or so.

I can't even think of a spot where graytall was used in the doom2 iwad (but I'm always playing pwads instead so I wouldn't remember). It seems like such an obvious waste of a texture. Then again the iwad only cared about setting 32 maps in stone, not about making textures that can be reused over and over in post-iwad maps.

another HOM art:

Should there exist a boom conveyor belt rollercoaster that paints Mona Lisa onto your screen using the HOM effect? Imagine a fire-blue Mona-Lisa ;)

joe-ilya said:

If my map was way too simple, take this : https://www.mediafire.com/?ioaq6i02eze1rx2
Name : 3 steps to hell

Not bad - I mean, it provided a good-enough experience (for an ugly map). It's an improvement in terms of structure (though still linear) and slightly in gameplay too. The map could benefit from a rocket launcher and a few rockets here and there, instead of all the shells lying around and primarily SSG action. There's a weird "secret" where you telefrag an archvile upon entering a room, it's not really a secret because you can't avoid it.

@Mechadon: looks supercool so far!

@Joe-ilya: This is actually much better. There's a sense of progression and concepts and the gameplay is actually decent. It's still kind of mediocre though, but it's a step in the right direction and a massive improvement over the other maps you've made which I've played.

@Doomhuntress: I'm not sure it could work unless someone wants to make a spoooooooooky and atmospheric map under the limitations. It'd be cool to see such a thing but also quite a task.

Just to make sure, you're only allowed to use one sky texture if you use sky transfers? You can't use multiple textures outside of the allowed textures for sky transfers?

I can't download from dropbox, but I played mork's map and it was hilariously cool.

Oh no you can use as many skies as you like, it's just map geometry itself that's limited to the 3 textures.

Marcaek said:

Oh no you can use as many skies as you like, it's just map geometry itself that's limited to the 3 textures.

I'm probably going to use both pitch white sky and pitch black sky, then.

EDIT: Also, can that one voluntary flat be a custom one?

Alright. Thing is, FLAT19 goes well with GRAYTALL in bright light levels, but doesn't appear fully dark in 0 light level, which I wanted (for pitch black areas). Nevermind, I can fake it with black sky or even height transfers and DOORTRAK in brightness 0.

Finished adding gameplay to my contribution. I must stress that I have not worked with developing gameplay in Doom prior to this map, especially with Boom features, only occasionally fiddling around in Doombuilder, but I tried my best to get the results I desired. I've mainly worked in the Duke3D scene and released a Wolf3D mini-sode, so this would be my Doom debut.

Your honest feedback is appreciated to improve the experience.

All difficulties are supported. Tested several times with PrBoom+ cl9.

Included a txt file in zip with misc details for the final project txt.

Link: Download

Breezeep: One flat of your choice as well as the sky flat. You can provide your own sky as long as it looks ok\tiles well for skyfloor etc.

Quakis: Excellent. It's already a fun little romp, but I think it needs more teeth on UV. I'd recommend

Spoiler

swapping out the hellknights on the elevator with revenants, swapping a cacodemon or 2 near the super shotgun with pain elementals, maybe having an archvile show up at the blue key when it is revealed, and the hellknights at the end with the mancubi could be another pair of revenants or maybe a small group of shotgun\chaingun zombies?

Yes, and recommended. It'd make my compile job easier for sure even if you're only using one sky.