Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WoofDg79

Working in GZDoom Builder - Deleting Linedef deletes entire sectors

Has anyone encountered this before? I'm trying to edit a map, and I made a linedef mistake so I wanted to delete the linedef in hopes that it will merge the two surrounding sectors, and then I can re-split the sector with a new linedef.

When I delete the linedef, rather than merge both surrounding sectors, it completely deletes them. Is there a way around this?

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thank you!

Highlight both sectors, then press J while holding Shift. This will merge the sectors and remove their shared linedefs.

J without Shift joins highlighted sectors without removing any linedefs.

Remember that you can safely delete a linedef only when its front sector and back sector are the same (=same sector number). You usually achieve it by joining or merging the sectors. Aside from the J/Shift-J shortcuts, the actions are available in Sector->Join/Merge when you're editing in Sector mode.

WoofDg79 said:

I'm trying to edit a map, and I made a linedef mistake so I wanted to delete the linedef in hopes that it will merge the two surrounding sectors

There's a "Dissolve Item" action (Ctrl-Delete by default), which will do just that.

I use make sectors mode to get back the parts that were deleted by removed linedefs. With my experience, it aways restored the room exactly the way it was before. So far this has not let me down.

Da Werecat said:

Highlight both sectors, then press J while holding Shift. This will merge the sectors and remove their shared linedefs.

I didn't know that! Making locked bar-like doors made easy. Thanks :)

Da Werecat said:

This is great info and will come in handy thanks.