Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CooBlu

Too many linedefs?

My map has reached to somewhere near 900 linedefs, 160+ sectors. I noticed that in the beginning of the map, this strange bug with the fog occurs. image
(I didn't take a screenshot of it, but when hopping in the water, enemies in the base show up on the screen in their position, unaffected by the sectors that should be hiding them)

Thinking that maybe I've exceeded in details and am starting to break the map, I took a section of map I tucked away in the void that I wanted to incorporate later and deleted it. The problem disappeared. image

However, I have seen much bigger maps with more content in them and have not encountered these problems. Is there a solution to this, or am I simply SOL and should take notice to how much I'm doing to my maps?

I really don't think that your problem has anything to do with too much linedefs or something like that. 900 linedefs and 160 sectors is NOTHING big at all, by the way. It's more likely that you've got some conflicting tags / sector effects / linedef actions with the part you've deleted, or simply a random nodebuilder error (fixable by a "random" change to the map). I don't have any idea what it would be in particular, unless you post the map here along with the deleted part (?). Maybe wait if someone would guess it right even without seeing the map, I can't do it.

scifista42 said:

fixable by a "random" change to the map

I drew a random sector and the issue vanished completely. I have never seen this fog problem occur, nor have I heard of this issue happening to anyone else.

Deleting the random sector and changing the nodebuilder from ZDBSP to glBSP in DoomBuilder also fixes the problem. Is there really such a thing as a "better" nodebuilder; I thought most of the options were for legacy purposes?

it looks similar to a sectors with different light values transferred across from a dummy sector that dont match the surrounding ones. you get this at times in boom with sky and height transfers. I'm not familiar with the fog mechanism in zdoom but perhaps something similar is afoot?

Its hard to say what the problem could be without a copy of the map to look at. Does your nodebuilder produce an error log? What does your ZDoom error log have to say about it?

Project.wad

In this version the problem is gone completely, I kept working around it and over time the issue fixed itself. I tried recreating the problem, different sectors with conflicting tags and whatnot. The nodebuilder didn't seem to have any problems, and ZDoom loads fine. Traversd's inquiry sounds like what was happening, as the window sectors to view the inside are a different light level and the heightened sectors that make up the wall (matching brightness as the outside, too) did not produce the error.

It could be a linedef with a sidedef of the sector where the problem was observed.
It may have had a special linedef with the wrong tag.

Unless you were lucky in changing the conflicting linedefs with your latest edit, it is likely that the cause is still there.
It could reappear with more editing, or just looking at it from the wrong angle.

One way to diagnose is to mangle a copy of the level map.
Drag portions of the map far away from the problem area.
Check often for the observed problem occuring.