Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Voltcom9

Voltcom9's Wolf3d NME Lite

Voltcom9 presents
Castle Obligenstein a not so serious mod...

Game: Doom 2
Sourceport: GZDoom tested

------------------------------------------------------------------

Story:
After the events of Castle Wolfenstein, you embark from the castle tired and weary. Unfortunately for you, whilst you were preoccupied, the Nazis had taken control over the planet using bizarre technologies and the occult. So, you must continue your tireless task of taking out the trash and putting an end to the Nazi threat. Good luck.

Castle Obligenstein

This map set was created entirely from Obliged. Castle Obligenstein contains the full data of NME Lite.

I touched up the maps here and there, but this Wad was more of an educational tool for me to learn how to use the various features of the SLADE3 editor. This is not a serious detail oriented set of maps by any means.
My main objective for this project was to implement several overall map features using decorate, try using sloped environments and to change map properties such as gravity, fog and color on the varied maps.

The Hi Resolution textures and Flats (download link is below) definitely create a better environment for these maps in my opinion. I hope you enjoy playing this as much as I have enjoyed creating it.

Music and Sounds from Blood, RTCW. Story components adapted from RTCW. All NME Lite Credits are listed below.
Thanks for trying my WAD, hope you enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed creating it.

The download link.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g92i6ttuky1qell/Castle%20Obligenstein.wad?dl=0

Hi Res textures.
A Zipped file containing some Hi Resolution modified textures I have been working on. Although I did not create the original versions of these they have been modified extensively, this set makes Doom/ Doom 2 feel more urban and less 'fantasy.' They may not be suited for everybody but somebody might enjoy them. Below are the links to the Flats and Textures. They look awesome with Obligenstein.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z6xkbsbz8pkqcql/0V9hiresTexMods.zip?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/91uy3r6qec3rgfb/V9Flats.zip?dl=0

-=CREDITS=-
*Similar in spirit to the gameplay changes of Wild Weasel's Nazis mod (nowhere near as extensive as that but I think it's still pretty good). All models are Wolf3d themed and are collected from Laz Rojas' Wolfendoom series as well as 'Death of a Reich' Tc. The exceptions are as follows, the Gunbat is from Spear of Destiny 2, the Cyberdemon replacement is also from Spear of Destiny 2.

Content including sprites and sounds have been compiled from several talented artists throughout the Doomworld, ZDoom community.

Note: I did not create any of these sprites / sounds, I simply compiled them into a mod. The inspiration for this wad was from Wildweasel, Jazzmaster9, and Laz Rojas Wolfendoom Series. Content from Death of a Reich, ROTT and weapons replacement packs (from Doomworld Levels) have been used. This most noteable was the BFG replacement. Thanks to everyone at the Zdoom forums for the full Wolf3d sprite rotations (not sure who the authors are). If I've forgotten anyone, I apologize.

To be honest, the mod is pretty atrocious for a couple reasons:

-Random weapons. I mean, they are from random games (Wolf, Doom, RoTT, Shadow Warrior, Duke and I don't know the other ones), which makes it feel "meh".
-Random enemies. None of them fit into the Doom environment. I don't know how you determined which type replaces what, it feels random (I don't mean "randomized" at startup, I mean "WTF why did you do it?"). In addition, many of the new enemies are overpowered (rocket troopers!) or some types even look the same but behave differently (!!!).
-Random sound replacements. You freely let Doom, Wolf and other sounds clash with each other.
-Purposelessness. It's nice that you were able to replace enemies and everything, but... Why? It only feels amateurish more than anything, there are no new levels... No reason to play Doom like this. How could your mod be more enjoyable to play that Doom itself, or other gameplay mods, for anybody? Think about it.

I only speak for myself, maybe there might be people who enjoy such mods. As I see it, mods without maps can't be much successful if they weren't put a really lot of thought and effort in, and yours didn't. I don't care about any gameplay mods too much, either. These "random content, vaguely unified" types of mods are from the worse ones, though.

OK, I do appreciate your feedback. With this I can try to improve several of these issues you've pointed out in the wad. For that I thank you.

Although in my honest opinion, you've come across as an obnoxious Douche bag. I'd like to offer you some constructive criticism, make sure to use spell check when you write anything as your grammar and spelling are absolutely dreadful. It is difficult to follow your train of thought when you make basic grammatical errors so frequently.

Secondly, if you dislike gameplay mods so much, perhaps you should avoid playing them or stick to the ones which have won Cacowards.

Thanks again.

Wow, thin-skinned one aren't you?

His criticisms seemed fair enough to me, this mod does feel somewhat lazily thrown together. It's also worth noting that English isn't scifista's first language, so think about that next time you attack someone for their spelling/grammar, you arrogant & childish cock.

I'm open to try random new Doom wads or mods once a while.
I try to provide sincere feedback when I do so, as I believe it's the best I can do to help and be fair to the author (instead of keeping silence).
I never wanted to purposefully offend anyone*, I'm sorry if I did.

Spoiler

*Maybe only people who already acted 10-times more terribly than I'd imagine, that's not your case here of course, not at all.

I'm indeed not a native English speaker, but it's my fault that my English is bad, calm down, BaronOfStuff. Although on the other hand, I'm not really aware where my errors are (my fault again). I doubt that my written English will ever improve much, unless someone pointed me out and corrected every single gramatical error I've ever made on the forums (in the past and in the future). And seriously, if anyone volunteered to do it and helped me to improve that way, I'd be eventually very thankful to him! ;)

scifista42 said:

I'm open to try random new Doom wads or mods once a while.
I try to provide sincere feedback when I do so, as I believe it's the best I can do to help and be fair to the author (instead of keeping silence).
I never wanted to purposefully offend anyone*, I'm sorry if I did.

Spoiler

*Maybe only people who already acted 10-times more terribly than I'd imagine, that's not your case here of course, not at all.

I'm indeed not a native English speaker, but it's my fault that my English is bad, calm down, BaronOfStuff. Although on the other hand, I'm not really aware where my errors are (my fault again). I doubt that my written English will ever improve much, unless someone pointed me out and corrected every single gramatical error I've ever made on the forums (in the past and in the future). And seriously, if anyone volunteered to do it and helped me to improve that way, I'd be eventually very thankful to him! ;)

Ok, well in this context I apologize for my snide remarks. I didn't realize that English was a second language for you. As for the criticisms, I'm sure it was warranted. As this is my first release to Doomworld, I may have been a little over sensitive about the harsh criticism.
That's my fault, I should perhaps try to remain a little less defensive here. Ok, so my mod is not great but hopefully I can improve from here. Yet again, thanks for your feedback and no offense Scifista42.

BaronOfStuff said:

you arrogant & childish cock.

Is name calling really necessary here? As I stated above, I had no idea Scifista42's first language was not English and I've apologized to him for that.

Voltcom9 said:

obnoxious Douche bag

Secondly, if you dislike gameplay mods so much, perhaps you should avoid playing them or stick to the ones which have won Cacowards.

Thanks again. [/B]

Sure, why not? Afterall, you did resort to name calling yourself. Scifista's review seemed pretty fair and I understood it as a whole. He has plenty of good points - feels lazily put together, sounds and and enemies clash, seems random. Overall, it (the mod) isn't very enjoyable.There is no coherant theme to your mod. Don't get mad because someone points out the flaws. Either suck it up and improve (and grow some thicker skin) or take your shitty attitude and go elsewhere.

Diverse said:

Sure, why not? Afterall, you did resort to name calling yourself. Scifista's review seemed pretty fair and I understood it as a whole. He has plenty of good points - feels lazily put together, sounds and and enemies clash, seems random. Overall, it (the mod) isn't very enjoyable.There is no coherant theme to your mod. Don't get mad because someone points out the flaws. Either suck it up and improve (and grow some thicker skin) or take your shitty attitude and go elsewhere.

That's a valid point. Agreed.

I like how releasing a mod is less of an opportunity for someone to review it and more of an opportunity for the modder to review reviews.