Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
raymoohawk

monster design contest, spriting of entries has started

Next semester is going to be my last in college, as part of one of the classes I plan on starting a YouTube channel about doom style spriting. I will have a tutorial video series detailing and commenting the creation of a complete sprite sheet from scratch. Unfortunately having played few games I don’t have many referents to fuel my creativity.

Here is where you my fellow doomers can help! I am launching a monster design contest, submit a design of your own creation in the form of a sketch or detailed description, don’t hold back if you have a beastie that you always wanted to see in doom!

I will turn the winning design into a complete sprite sheet, with everything included, projectiles, xdeaths, brightmaps (NOTE I will not code or create any sounds, just images) and feature it in the video series, you will of course be credited with the monster design, you will also decide under which license to release the sheet

The submissions will be open until December, however since I don’t want to hurt my responsibilities towards freedoom the actual spriting will start on February when classes start.

Don’t worry this project will definitely be finished, I’ve already spoken to the teacher for whose class this project will be, so don’t hesitate, if raymoo fails you raymoo fails school, so no risk of sudden cancelation!

The selection of the best design will be done by vote, so no bias.

Rules coming soon (feel free to suggest some) :D

also someone help come up with a more appropriate title for the thread

i will mirror this thread over at zdoom so they can participate too, if you have a zdoom account post there instead, if you dont have one i will submit your design over there

this is an example of my stuff

feel free to ask questions if you have doubts

right now the only rules are no ghost or smoke like monsters unless they also include a majority of solid parts. also no zombies

UPDATE

i have started spriting the entries for the contest. i have started with capj, i have taken liberties in the design to make it more doom friendly

so some good news and bad ones

first the good, all the entries will get one whole rotation sprited. this will be done because a monsters design can change widely from a single 2d representation to a a 3d rotation. a single sprite would be misleading

the bad, the project will continue at an even slower pace than it has so far. in part because of my many compromises. also no more submissions. all the ones already submitted will be sprited, but if someone submitted many they will be combined to reduce number of submissions, the same applies to desings with similarities

expect more soon, and im really sorry for being so of schedule

UPDATE

raymoohawk said:

Here is where you my fellow doomers can help! I am launching a monster design contest, submit a design of your own creation in the form of a sketch or detailed description, don’t hold back if you have a beastie that you always wanted to see in doom!

Sweet! Feel free to use my post or whatever post in that thread to find out monster concept / design descriptions.

May as we'll throw my hat in the ring with an idea i had for a floating boss monster that fits logically into Doom.

The creature is based on the grim reaper and horsemen of the apocalypse and has features similar to the characteristics of these, only in a more abstract way - as if the descriptions that are commonly accepted have been humanised because the truth is more horrific and otherworldly.

The monster, instead of riding a horse would have a centaur body shape with cloven hooves and flaming mantis upper limbs, which represent the scythe and flaming sword. Instead of a hooded robe it is shrouded in an eiree mist, which is Doomguy-green to allow people using the sprite to apply the DeHacked palette toggle to have four differently coloured versions. It has pale tight skin similar to the Archvile giving it a famined, skeletal appearance.

It's melee and projectile attacks would both originate from the swiping of it's flaming limbs. Its movement would give the appearance that it is running through the air, perhaps supported by the mist surrounding it. It would be around the size of the Arachnatron.

I'm not a great artist so I will leave it text, although I can sketch somthing rough if you are interested in the concept.

i think i get the idea, but just in case make a sketch if you can, also to everyone dont hesitate to consider having the monster with different projectyle and meele attack frames

its best to cover it up, the making of the sprite will be shown in a tutorial video series on youtube. i personally dont have any problem with making nude sprites, but i wouldnt want youtube to make potential watchers log in to confirm their ages

Here's two (lazy) sketches I did:

http://i.imgur.com/W0oaZmc.jpg

The image of a human face morphed into a cuttlefish shape seemed pretty spooky to me, so I drew this. I'd imagine it would float about and shoot. Maybe alert other monsters.

http://i.imgur.com/8UlJavG.jpg

I noticed that Doom had lots of bull and goat-based monsters, but no cat-based ones. It just seemed kind of weird to me when black cats were always getting their asses thrown off buildings for being demons or whatever. I'd imagine it would skitter about erratically and swing/clothesline you with its bladed mantis claws.

EDIT: It's partially wrapped in in bloody rags, BTW. Think less 'cheesy spooky blood' and more 'grody hospital blanket soiled with fuckwhat combination of liquids.'

Guest Unregistered account

Here, I drew a kind of plantlike alien in my spare time:

ROFL

Obviously, there are a lot of flaws with it, mainly in proportions and the fact it looks like it has massive elf ears (that's just meant to be the shape of his head, and the black things are horns). Also, I apoligize for the poor quality, my camera has an annoying habit of merging the borders between different colours together, making it look all smeary/like an oil painting.
The only other notes are that his head should be smaller (to contrast the massive shoulder blades) and he should be quite a bit darker, rather than the bright green seen here - but still plantlike.

This is a great idea raymoohawk, it's cool to see doomers sharing their crazy ideas! :)

A Pyramid Head-like enemy that stalks the player throughout the level, with a massive chainsaw spear and skull-shaped shield. In addition to a swing attack, it can leap from ledges to attack the player.

It wears a Mayan/Aztec-themed mask with a feathered headdress that lacks eyes, instead opting for a featureless faceplate.

------

A almost angelic-looking humanoid, that appears to be made of glossy white stone and golden leaf. Emerging out of it's back, two golden strands of sinew wrap about small wing-like structures and reattach to the back of it's head. In either hand, it wields a silver spear with a blue jewel in the spearhead.

It floats about the battlefield, slamming down and slashing at the player.

i have started spriting the entries for the contest. i have started with capj, i have taken liberties in the design to make it more doom friendly

so some good news and bad ones

first the good, all the entries will get one whole rotation sprited. this will be done because a monsters design can change widely from a single 2d representation to a a 3d rotation. a single sprite would be misleading

the bad, the project will continue at an even slower pace than it has so far. in part because of my many compromises. also no more submissions. all the ones already submitted will be sprited, but if someone submitted many they will be combined to reduce number of submissions, the same applies to desings with similarities

expect more soon, and im really sorry for being so of schedule

It's your show, you run it how you like. :) We appreciate all the time you've put into your spriting work, and don't you forget it.

If you're interested in any of my designs, I'd rather you choose the better of my submissions and throw out the other one, as combining them would simply look terrible.

It's now officially February. What's the word on this, any progress? Also, can you post a link to this YouTube channel you were talking about?