Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lycaon

A great combination [Brutal + Vanguard]

Recommended Posts

I guess most people already tried this, but if you haven't: Brutal Doom combined with Vanguard is absolutely delicious. The level of detailed from the maps matchs exactly the level of detail in brutal doom's sprites and effects. It all comes together so nicely that it seems as if they were thought as one and the same. Gameplay also turns amazing when you have imps showering down from the columns above and mancubus filling dark corridors (and unwary zombies) with flames. It's also absolutely challenging even in full ultra violence. I'm already replaying this shit for the second time. Definetely worth trying.

Also, in the Punch Out! bonus map you can smash, rip and tear everything apart, making a beautiful mess.

Share this post


Link to post

Today, I got test results saying I'm going to have to have surgery, and OP is still the saddest news of the day.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm not that familiar with the English language. What do you mean? Is that meant to be sarcasm?

If that's what I think it is, well, whatever champ. I really don't get why would anyone dislike Brutal Doom. I think these people are just hipsters that can't have fun at all. I mean, it's almost embarrasing.

Share this post


Link to post

Wasn't sure if OP meant operation or original poster.

well hahha, have fun and don't forget to wear your glasses.

To anyone with common sense: just try the freaking combination. You'll be glad.

Share this post


Link to post

As an embarrassing hipster I like to stay trendy and relevant, so this being late 2014, I've started reading every BDoom mention as HDoom.

Lycaon said:

Also, in the Punch Out! bonus map you can smash, rip and tear everything apart, making a beautiful mess.

Oh my!

Share this post


Link to post
Lycaon said:

It all comes together so nicely that it seems as if they were thought as one and the same.


I can say definitively that they weren't.

If Brutal Doom + Vanguard makes you happy, go for it and have fun. That being said, playing with Brutal Doom completely destroys the (somewhat) careful map balance and gameplay design. All that's left intact is the aesthetics.

Share this post


Link to post

I would love nothing more, in this planet mother Earth, than to show my love and support as a cool brütal bro, heh *curb-stomps a defenseless, weeping zombie, splattering the walls with plasma niggers*

Share this post


Link to post

I prefer "beautiful doom" myself.

@dew You mentioned Hdoom twice now, is there a secret you're holding from us?

Share this post


Link to post

Lycaon: It seems that "Brutal Doom" is some magic word combination that immediately makes any otherwise normal Doomworlder go crazy and constantly shout "STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIIIIIIIKE!". I've never seen a good thread about Brutal Doom on this forum. Any mention of it instantly attracts a herd of doomers that absolutely have to insert their negative opinion on the mod, its author and people who use it. Obviously you don't need to pay any attention to them.

Share this post


Link to post

Here comes our resident reactionary to tell us how predictable we all are.

Share this post


Link to post

Hold your horses, brave Sir Memfis! There's, like, the author of Vanguard saying he doesn't like what BDoom does with the intended experience, but to each his own. Why even have a thread if that's not worth paying attention to? A few jokes on the side shouldn't offend anyone.

Share this post


Link to post

Memfis, it's fine if people like Brutal Doom. We may not agree with them, but those of us with a shred of sense won't jump on people if they choose to play it. Personally, I'm sick of hearing about it all the time (looking at you FB group), but I'm not going to rant at people because they play Brutal Doom, even though I think it's a piece of shit that needs to go away.

Dumb shit like this:

I think these people are just hipsters that can't have fun at all. I mean, it's almost embarrasing.


and this:

To anyone with common sense


is implying that those who dislike Brutal Doom are quite simply, wrong.
this implication is wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Memfis said:

Lycaon: It seems that "Brutal Doom" is some magic word combination that immediately makes any otherwise normal Doomworlder go crazy and constantly shout "STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIIIIIIIKE!". I've never seen a good thread about Brutal Doom on this forum. Any mention of it instantly attracts a herd of doomers that absolutely have to insert their negative opinion on the mod, its author and people who use it. Obviously you don't need to pay any attention to them.


It's not the mention of Brutal Doom it's the constant shit like "hey guys if you use Brutal Doom + *Insert Wad Here* it's the best experience ever and makes the WAD so much better" which of course people, particularly the original author who balanced it for vanilla, will take umbrage with. Your basically saying that if a director makes a film and then some second studio comes long and shoves in 3D and puts the entire movie on fast forward the original director is not allowed to complain.

Share this post


Link to post
Lycaon said:

I really don't get why would anyone dislike Brutal Doom. I think these people are just hipsters that can't have fun at all. I mean, it's almost embarrasing.

Such attitude is going to be very helpful in the task of making people here appreciate Brutal Doom and threads about how awesome Brutal Doom is.

Share this post


Link to post

I think the reason vanguard plays so well in brutal doom is because the level designs play well in general. Theyre just damn good maps and they play well whether they utilize brutal doom or not.

Share this post


Link to post
40oz said:

I think the reason vanguard plays so well in brutal doom is because the level designs play well in general. Theyre just damn good maps and they play well whether they utilize brutal doom or not.

Share this post


Link to post

Eh, Brutal Doom is OK but I am getting tired of dumb crap added into it that is unnecessary or otherwise pointless gameplaywise. I am more favoring my Random Deaths and Decorations mod over it as it is similar but without gallons of blood, altered weapons or other nonsense that makes it less Doomy...and you can run weapons mods with it too.

I am burned out on BD as it has worn out its welcome about 6 months ago to me.

Share this post


Link to post

I used to quite like playing Brutal Doom. Was fun seeing how stuff played that I had already played without a mod. I was quite surprised how quickly it got old and th screams and poor weapon balance eventually turned me off so I stopped using it. After a few more months I started getting fed up of all the Brutal Doom YouTube videos and comments on how it improves the original game (which I never believed, even when I played it). I was a bit uneasy when id and John Romero tweeted about it and I starts to avoid references to it. Most recently I have started getting annoyed by the anti-Brutal Doom brigade and hearing the same whiny opposing arguments about it. I'd rather both sides would just quietly get on with it.

Does this mean I'm post post Brutal Doom?

Share this post


Link to post
Da Werecat said:

Such attitude is going to be very helpful in the task of making people here appreciate Brutal Doom and threads about how awesome Brutal Doom is.


I agree.

He should be more like this;



as he's making the suggestion for a DOOM Map+Mod combo that he discovered and enjoyed.

Share this post


Link to post
TheMightyHeracross said:

I don't care if you like Brutal Doom, you don't get to force your opinion down anyone's throat. I actually think Brutal Doom is OK, but there ARE other mods!


So because I started a thread about BD then I don't play other mods? BD is in fact the most recent mod I found, I have played lots, and I still think this is one of the best. Besides I'm not forcing my opinion, I just didn't have to take Phml's bullshit. But whatever, you obviously are seeing me as a part of a larger group you already hate.

Tarnsman said:
It's not the mention of Brutal Doom it's the constant shit like "hey guys if you use Brutal Doom + *Insert Wad Here* it's the best experience ever and makes the WAD so much better" which of course people, particularly the original author who balanced it for vanilla, will take umbrage with. Your basically saying that if a director makes a film and then some second studio comes long and shoves in 3D and puts the entire movie on fast forward the original director is not allowed to complain.


That example doesn't work at all. I never said this is the way people should play this map from now on, but if you put those old-school prejudices asides for a moment, you would see it's fun and doesn't ruin anything at all. I'm guessing most people already played those maps without BD, so why not try something new.


In any case, what I intended as a friendly advice suddenly turned, somehow, into political activism pro Brutal Doom. Next thing you know i'll be going for the elections.

Share this post


Link to post

It was a joke. You shitposted your own thread over a one liner that meant nothing. Geez kid, do yourself a favor and put me on ignore. I don't want to have your inevitable heart attack whenever I'll actually pick a fight with you on my conscience .

Share this post


Link to post

Worry not old man, I'm actually having fun here. Almost as much fun as in brutal doom.

Share this post


Link to post
Lycaon said:

I guess most people already tried this, but if you haven't: Brutal Doom combined with Vanguard is absolutely delicious. The level of detailed from the maps matchs exactly the level of detail in brutal doom's sprites and effects. It all comes together so nicely that it seems as if they were thought as one and the same. Gameplay also turns amazing when you have imps showering down from the columns above and mancubus filling dark corridors (and unwary zombies) with flames. It's also absolutely challenging even in full ultra violence. I'm already replaying this shit for the second time. Definetely worth trying.

Also, in the Punch Out! bonus map you can smash, rip and tear everything apart, making a beautiful mess.


k

Share this post


Link to post

Brutal Doom also works wonderfully with H-Doom and Demonsteele. Both feature full support and mod compatibility for it.

Share this post


Link to post
40oz said:

I think the reason vanguard plays so well in brutal doom is because the level designs play well in general. Theyre just damn good maps and they play well whether they utilize brutal doom or not.


Pretty much this ever.

Most maps, at least my experience of single player/co op ones, they play well without any mods...and conversely they play well with mods.

Because they alter the relatively clean gameplay the new source ports offer, you can swap out between mods on most given maps and they all will play pretty neatly.

If Vanguard works with Brutal Doom, I'm sure it can work with other mods, or without any at all.

This is why I don't understand any hate towards mods....at all, it's not like the map forces to you to play with them. I know people will have a preference towards one over the other but that's why the variety in mods exists, but for that preference to become hate for another mod is beyond me. Obviously people will recommend that you play with certain mods, so haters should just grow up and accept that and keep playing how they wanna play regardless. People will always recommend you something. Like a base pizza, good on it's own...but add toppings to it, then people will gain preference to different toppings and may recommend them to others, no harm in that....just eat your damn pizzas and have fun?

Share this post


Link to post
Xegethra said:

If Vanguard works with Brutal Doom, I'm sure it can work with other mods, or without any at all.


Of course, but I wasn't talking about compatibility. What I meant was that they get along with each other, in an aesthethic sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×