Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Springy

Blasphemer discussion

So here we have 6 maps plus what I can pull out from the DM maps. We may be able to create a second episode.

Just to be sure: where are all the maps, SP and DM?

So, i went missing for a while, but i've returned with a small update.

The new Experimental build is UP:
https://github.com/Blasphemer/blasphemer/wiki/Experimental-build(s)

What's new?

-migrated links from mediafire to google drive, less ads more downloads.
-added a ton of Supersomarix's stuff:
sounds: IMPAT1 IMPDTH IMPPAI IMPSIT PHOHIT HRNSHT MUMPAI MUMSIT MUMDTH MUMAT1 MUMHED HRNPOW WIZSIT HEDAT1 HEDAT2 HEDAT3 LOBHIT BLSHIT LOBPOW
sprites: FX09A0 FX09B0 FX02A0-FX02E0
-added Horrormovieguy's dummy multiplayer portraits: facea0-facea3 faceb0-faceb3
-added a tentative powered up staff made by BigProjectAlone, a bit wiggly but it is working.

I didn't included the most recent maps, i will wait until we sort out an order for them.

That is it folks, until next time.

PS: So, we have about 2 episodes worth of dm maps, what about i chime in on the multiplayer subforum and try to start a small dm cp?

PPS: i'm currently on #Blasphemer for a little bit.

its experimental but its already good, the dm compatibility is near done i can ever possible play whit bots.

Edit: now i want to know WHO EDITED my e1m9!? because it has become wonderfull :P
i'm kidding i see you cacowad, nice work ^^

I went through the DM maps.

I think something can be done with e1m1, e1m2, e1m7, e1m9, e2m3, e2m7, e3m2 and e3m3: these maps have a good layout and I think can be combined so to form 2 or 3 SP maps.

small bug: e1m6 in the DM mapset is without player 1 start.

Another idea is using the Memfis's scarpyard:

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/62854-unfinished-wads-you-can-do-whatever-you-want-to-with/

where we may find something good to convert to Blasphemer.

Question: when do you think you may go and create a contest or community project for new maps for Blasphemer?

Nice catch, i'll fix that one tomorrow.
About the CP... Is something i wanted to do for quite a while, and i think we can start it once we got the maps sorted out, i may went and recolor some sprites to fill in the gaps for the ammo sprites and we should be good to go honestly.

EDIT: both blasphem.wad and blasphdm.wad has been updated

What's new?

blasphdm.wad:
-fixed missing single player start E1M6

blasphem.wad
-added placeholder for missing ammo sprites (AMP1{ABC} AMP2{ABC} AMG2{ABC}) using recolours of AMB1 and AMB2

Added note: i may be using the incoming 32in24 cp to get back to mapping, after that i'll try to start a DM cp and move something.

Well, we still need quite a few resources honestly... I'll drop a list here, then i'll post them on the git page for future reference.

I'll mark the missing resources priority with (low) (medium) (hight) and mark them if they are bosses or player resources.

Additionally i'll mark sprites without rotation as *0, eventual mirroring will also be noted.

Please note i may be incorrect in those assessments and this priority list is just my opinion on the matter. Obviously i won't say no to a contribution on any of those missing resources, no matter on how low the priority is.

TO-DO list:

---Fonts and miscellaneous:

(very low) TITLE HELP1 HELP2 CREDIT E2END FINAL1 FINAL2 all share the same image
(very low) MAPE1 MAPE2 MAPE3
(low) FONTB06 FONTB (08-11) FONTB (26-30) FONTB32

---Inventory and menù:

(low) SPINBK (0-15) SPFLY (0-15) GOD1 GOD2 M_SKL (0-17) M_SLDLT M_SLDMD1 M_SLDMD2 M_SLDRT M_SLDKB M_FSLOT PAUSED

(medium) IN_X IN_YAH LIFEGEM1 LIFEGEM3 USEARTIA USEARTIB USEARTIC USEARTID USEARTIE INVGEML1 INVGEML2 INVGEMR1 INVGEMR2 BORDL BORDR BORDT BORDB BORDTL BORDTR BORDBL BORDBR

---Sounds and music:

(low) (bosses) MINACT MINAT1 MINAT2 MINAT3 MINDTH MINPAI MINSIT SBTDTH SBTACT SBTPAI SORACT SORATK SORDBON SORDEXP SORDSPH SORPAI SORRISE SORSIT SORZAP

(medium) BSTACT BSTDTH BSTPAI BSTSIT CLKATC CLKATK CLKDTH CLKPAI CLKSIT HEDACT HEDDTH HEDPAI HEDSIT KGTAT2 KGTATK KGTDTH KGTPAI KGTSIT MUMAT2 SNKACT SNKDTH SNKPAI SNKSIT

(hight)(player) BURN CHICACT CHICATK CHICDTH CHICPAI CHICPK1 CHICPK2 CHICPK3 GIBDTH PLRCDTH PLRWDTH RIPSLOP

Note: i'll need another pass on the music to be certain on how music tracks works in heretic.

---Non monster sprites:

(medium) EGGC (A0-E0) and FBMB (A0-B0) are placeholder

(medium) LVAS (A0-F0 , G0-K0) (lava splash effect and smoke)

(hight) ACLOE (A0 to E0) (item acquired effect) PPOD (C0-H0) (gas bag exploding frames) TELE (A0-H0) (teleport effect) XPL1 (A0-F0) (little volcano ball death animation) SFFI (A0-E0) (big volcano ball death animation)

---Weapons and player sprites:

(medium) AMP1 (A0-C0) AMP2 (A0-C0) AMG2 (A0-C0) are placeholders

(hight)
BEACKA0 (morphed player weapon)
CHKN (A-Q)(morphed player)
FX00 (C0-G0) (tomed hellstaff projectile)
FX01 (A0-H0) (tomed wand side projectiles)
FX02 (F0-J0) (firemace hit)
FX03 (F0-G0) (crossbow hit)
FX05 (D-J) some mirrored (claw projectiles and hit puffs)
FX08 (E0-K0) (phoenix staff hit puff)
FX18 (A0-G0) (O0-SO) (tomed claw) M\N frames should not have rotations (*)
PUF4 (A0-F0) (tomed staff hit)

(*) oddly zdoom and hertic+ seems to not care about it, or at least i did not encountered any major side effect.

---Monsters:

(low) (bosses)
iron lich: HEAD (A-I) some are mirrored
iron lich's projectile: FX06 (A0-G0) FX07 (A0-G0)
minotaur: MNTR (A-Z) no mirror
minotaur's projectiles?: FX09 (C0-K0) FX12 (A-H) some mirrored FX13 (A0-M0)
mounted d'sparil: SRCR (A-S) no mirror
mounted d'sparil's projectiles: FX14 (A-H) some are mirrored
dismounted d'sparil: SOR2 (A-T) no mirror SDTH (A0-O0)
dismounted d'sparil' projectiles: FX16 (A-L) some are mirrored

(very low)
mummy replacement and knight replacements are very similar and both have placeholder pain state

(medium)
beast sprites: BEAS (A-Z) some are mirrored
sabreclaw sprites: CLNK (A-O) no mirror
imp sprites: IMPX (A-Z) some are mirrored
ophidian sprites: SNKE (A-P) no mirror

---Unidentified sprites:
FX20 (A0-I0) FX21 (A0-I0) FX23 (A0-I0) (*)
PUF1 (A0-H0) PUF3 (A0-D0)
SHRD (A0-F0) FRB1 (A0-HO) (volcanic ball of some sort?)
SLDGH (A0-H0) SNFX (A0-O0) (projectile of some sort?)

(*) all seems to be recolors of FX22 and can be replaced as such, FX20 is green, FX21 is yellow and FX23 is blue.

Gave a look:

-the egg and the bomb are unusable, they are made of a single frame and would not be an improvement (also the bomb looks kinda bad and plastic looking).

-the fx* one is clearly made for a sidescroller, so unfortunately is not usable.

-on the other hand the fire and the explosion could be used, but their license is cc-by, and according to the guideline we cannot accept it (since we use a 3 clause BSD); at least until someone who understand how those two interact with each other chime in saying otherwise.

Thank you for your time anyway.

Well, a project would probably be too big a word. I was thinking of making a PWAD for use with Freedoom and Epic 2. I think some stuff from Blasphemer would fit the theme better than Freedoom monsters.

On another note, what about using Freedoom resources that have been phased out with recent updates for Blasphemer? That would help fill in the missing assets, even if only as placeholders.

Apart from the old snake monster (which could probably be the Ophidian), there's the currently unused old version of leileilol's gargoyle/Dark Soldier (somehow I can't find it in the attic but it's included with the v0.5 source). It's tall enough to replace the Undead Warrior, and it's different from the current Revenant replacement (which was made shorter and has the tube launcher).

Further, CWolf's green skull could replace Heretic's Gargoyle, and the old Orb Monster probably can serve as an Iron Lich placeholder. That would give a complete set of Episode 1 monsters to play with.

There's also a number of old props like skull torches that could fit with the Blasphemer theme, and I wonder if raymoohawk's vitality boost vial could be used too.

Feel free to use them, i think you can find the sheets somewhere in this thread, otherwise is pretty simple to export them to .png from the iwad using slade.

I also think we could probably pillage something from freedoom's attic... I may give it a look.

Cacowad said:

Feel free to use them, i think you can find the sheets somewhere in this thread, otherwise is pretty simple to export them to .png from the iwad using slade.

Thanks!

SuperSomariDX said:

I remember that old Pinky that was like a blob monster. Dunno what that could fit over though.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that guy :) It could be a Weredragon placeholder I guess.

FWIW I think using old Freedoom sprites as placeholders is a good idea. Bringing Blasphemer closer to a playable state will hopefully encourage more contributions, including original contributions to replace the Freedoom placeholders.

I played through the most recent experimental build of Blasphemer and have a few thoughts and questions:

- There are some really nice maps in BlasphDM. Given how many empty map slots are left in Blasphemer, I wonder if some of the DM maps could be converted to single-player, or if it would be possible to make a passable SP map by combining a few of the DM maps and throwing in some keys and locked doors?

- Again, I agree with all Mr. Flibble's Freedoom sprite suggestions, but especially with his suggestion to use CWolf's green skull for the gargoyle. Having actual sprites for the gargoyle would make Blasphemer so much more enjoyable - they are the first enemy you encounter in the game, and one of the most common.

- Is there an up-to-date list of sounds that are still needed? I have some spare time and would like to contribute some more sounds.

- Many thanks to Cacowad for keeping this project going.

jute said:

- There are some really nice maps in BlasphDM. Given how many empty map slots are left in Blasphemer, I wonder if some of the DM maps could be converted to single-player, or if it would be possible to make a passable SP map by combining a few of the DM maps and throwing in some keys and locked doors?

I kinda started working on something like this...

Hello there. So, i took a brief hiatus from Doomworld related stuff, and i think it's time to dive back in.

@Jute: thank you, the missing sounds are as follow (copied and pasted from above):

---Sounds and music:

(low) (bosses) MINACT MINAT1 MINAT2 MINAT3 MINDTH MINPAI MINSIT SBTDTH SBTACT SBTPAI SORACT SORATK SORDBON SORDEXP SORDSPH SORPAI SORRISE SORSIT SORZAP

(medium) BSTACT BSTDTH BSTPAI BSTSIT CLKATC CLKATK CLKDTH CLKPAI CLKSIT HEDACT HEDDTH HEDPAI HEDSIT KGTAT2 KGTATK KGTDTH KGTPAI KGTSIT MUMAT2 SNKACT SNKDTH SNKPAI SNKSIT

(hight)(player) BURN CHICACT CHICATK CHICDTH CHICPAI CHICPK1 CHICPK2 CHICPK3 GIBDTH PLRCDTH PLRWDTH RIPSLOP

Music seems to be completed, barring some duplicates:
-e1m8 and e1m4 are duplicates
-e1m5 and e1m7 are duplicates
-e1m6 and e2m3 are duplicates

there could be another one in the mix, but i'm not sure.

@Angry Saint: ;)

All right, ill shoot a pm to Cwolf to ask if he's ok with us using his work even if incomplete; I'll post an update once the new build is up.

Thanks! I'll work on some sounds. I notice about half of the high-priority sounds are for the chicken - was there ever a decision about what the Blasphemer equivalent of the chicken would be? I remember people suggesting a rat or a tiny shoggoth-ish creature.

Also, this has probably been suggested somewhere in this long thread, but I wonder a recolored player sprite could work for as a replacement for the ophidian.

HorrormovieGuy was making a rat, but it was some time ago and we didn't got any update since then.

Here are all the missing high priority sounds: https://ufile.io/9827d

They are based on these public domain sounds:
http://opengameart.org/content/squeaky-rat
http://opengameart.org/content/flare-ignition
http://opengameart.org/content/8-wet-squish-slurp-impacts
http://opengameart.org/content/hurt-death-sound-effect-for-character

EDIT: and here are BST and HED sounds: https://ufile.io/15eec

I didn't do the other monsters because it was too difficult to imagine what they might sound like without seeing spites.

These sounds are based on this wonderful public domain resource: http://opengameart.org/content/rpg-sound-pack

I found out about Blasphemer from Wikipedia, however it took quite a bit of searching to find the download links in this forum. In order for people to more easily find their way here I posted a reference at Wikipedia with a link to this thread. This was a mistake!

First the whole sentence with the mention of Blasphemer was removed because "it sounds like an add", when I tried to put it back it was "not noteworthy enough" and "Doomworld is not a proper source". *Sigh* I imagine the sentence in question was there for a long time before I started improving it. Rather than engaging in a long editing war which I don't have time for, I opted to clone the article at a private wiki I quickly set up (http://rhizopedia.dromland.se/index.php?title=Heretic) I doubt much people will find it there though.

Lesson learned: If it's not broken, don't fix it.

Im sorry, but I can't find any Wikipedia page for Blasphemer. You sure it's not DoomWiki?

Angry Saint said:

So what about "building" the wiki page for Blasphemer as the Freedoom one is?

Freedoom doesn't build it's Wikipedia page... It does build the Freedoom website using AsciiDoc though, but that's not the Wiki, is it?

Angry Saint said:

So what about "building" the wiki page for Blasphemer as the Freedoom one is?

Yes, this would be a noble endeavor. It might succumb to the hands of deletion mob but it's Worth a shot. If only English was my first language, perhaps a future project. Hopefully someone beats me to it :)

Voros said:

Im sorry, but I can't find any Wikipedia page for Blasphemer. You sure it's not DoomWiki?

Sorry I was a bit sleep depraved when I wrote that, Blasphemer was mentioned on the Heretic Wikipedia page. Sadly, not anymore.

The new Experimental build IS UP:

What's new?

New knight replacement from freedoom attic (leileilol?)
New iron lich replacement from freedoom attic
New ophidian replacement from freedoom attic
New waredragon replacement from freedoom attic
New imp replacement using Cwolf's "dead flare"
New waredragon replacement from freedoom attic

Recolored protox's fx10 to match cwolf's imp color scheme
Moved current knight sprites into sabreclaw's spot

Filled in gasbang missing frames using freedoom assets
Filled frames A\B\C of weredragon's projectile (FRB1) using freedoom assets (mancubus projectile)

Tentative lava splash using existing water splash (not looking good unfortunately)
Fixed powered staff shakiness

Added Jutes's sounds (BSTACT, BSTDTH, BSTPAI, BSTSIT, BURN, CHICACT, CHICATK, CHICDTH, CHICPAI, CHICPK1, CHICPK2, CHICPK3, GIBDTH, HEDACT, HEDDTH, HEDPAI, HEDSIT, PLRCDTH, PLRWDTH, RIPSLOP)

Still no new maps, i'll get around adding them shortly.
Additionally i didn't wrote down a credit list as i usually do (whoops), so i'll get to that as fast as i can.
Please note that Cwolf didn't respond to my pm, so i'm assuming he is still in service. I will remove his sprites from the build if he wish so.

Big thanks to everyone involved here, this is a beefy update and make the game a lot more playable.

@Voros\Angry Saint\Snakecharmer: i do think that just updating the Blasphemer link on Wikipedia could do a lot of good, after all Blasphemer is a lot smaller than Freedoom.

poblems to run in (name) port:

Zandro:
Execution could not continue.
R_InstallSpriteLump: Bad frame characters in lump IMPXIO0

Choco:
R_InstallSpriteLump: Bad frame characters in lump 1218