Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Springy

Blasphemer discussion

I've put together a package (for Windows) including Blasphemer 0.17, sample PWADs, random WAD generation (SLIGE+dm2conv+BSP) and an old-school GUI.

It's called Freethinker : https://osr-vf.itch.io/freethinker

It's still a WIP (like Blasphemer itself).

Its part of my ROSS (random old-school shooter) project : 

that harpy looks sweet. every time i play blasphemer i think "the imp should be a harpy not a green booger"

i guess i wasn't the only person thinking that.

the ogre looks killer too.

yah i cant get deutex to work for me. it always says wadinfo.txt can't be found but it is right there in the dir that i reference in the iwadpath argument

obviously i am doing something wrong

It's probably something wonky going on with the offset in the wadinfo. I'll look into it, thank you for the report.

mummq0 to mummw0 (the ghost that rises after killing golem) are still smiley faces in the WAD, but the new images are in the repository.

BTW, what happened to the old elk mage (?) that was the original golem replacement? IIRC there was a sprite sheet for as many as four different variants of it, but I'm unable to find that post anymore. I think it's a nice enemy overall and could serve a different purpose, or maybe reused in another project altogether.

When something is replaced, it get sent to the attic: https://github.com/Blasphemer/attic

There are probably a lot of things missing from the attic, but i don't have the time to check among the various versions\thread posts.

I do belive there is a link somewhere in the previous pages to a snapshot of Doomad's old forum, where some of the old submissions took places (among those, Bigprojectalone elk enemy).

Edit: went to the wayback machine to check, most of the spritesheet did not survive, but fortunately the elk did:
immagine.png.9588f6c7d4c87d2837d7e1e95900f332.png

Edited by Cacowad

Well, up until now two variants were already used as the mummy and the sabreclaw replacement, it is a bit small for the weredragon spot. I suppose it could be upscaled if necessary... I do like the design, and would hate to see it unused.

I do think personally that it fits quite well in the sabreclaw slot. We even threw the idea around in the discord server of making the Iron Lich be a wendigo-type monster, which also has antlers. Both the Lich and the Sabreclaw don't spawn blood splurts when shot in Heretic, so I'm thinking that could be some interesting bit of connection between these two antler-having monsters in the future if we kept the elk monster in the sabreclaw slot.

So after a solid 1year+ gap in my life where the most ridiculous stuff was happening, my life has settled down and I'm back. I was gonna finish my Stone Golem sprite, but after checking out Github I noticed there's already a finished cyclops as Maulotaur replacement.

So what sprites are the most necessary right now?

Glad to see you back! I seen this roadmap posted in the server. According to Cacowad, the game should be in a Deathmatch-ready state next release with my recent submissions. Based on that it would seem that the regular, non-boss enemies are probably the next set of priorities right now. There has been some discussion regarding possible designs. Craneo pitched this concept for a possible replacement for the undead warrior, which is now a vampire instead:

Spoiler

1955377144_unknown(3).png.e4db3ea8fda550cf8cd2719996d81610.png

We also discussed the idea of having the Ophidiam be a Daegon-like fish person that spits toxic clouds; and, as mentioned in the previous post, a wendigo-like monster for the Iron Lich. These are only suggestions of course, I don't think you should feel restricted in any way in what you want to sprite.

I like this vampire warrior! Strongly reminds me of Legacy of Kain series, which is definitely a great place to take inspiration for a dark fantasy game. One thing I was wondering was their ranged attack - which gave me an LoK inspired idea based on Soul Reaver. What if they have a scarf on their face, that they lower to shoot out some kind of vampiric projectile (shaped like phantom vampire teeth) from their gaping mouth?Something like this:

Spoiler

Vampire.png.afa8d0208bc30bc30fd3f523971a215b.png

The missile is meant to tie the enemy to a vampire theme even if they don't use any life-draining attacks.

For Iron Liches w*ndigo like thing, I'm thinking perhaps of something similar to Leshy from the Witcher? A deer monster with a skull for face.

Leshy is a nature spirit in Slavic mythology, which makes sense with Iron Liches' attacks being elemental in nature. Though the monster would be wider, and fourlegged to better fit the Iron Lich hitbox. Also I wondered if they need wings... but apparently though the Iron Lich sprite floats above the floor, they can't actually fly like gargoyles or cacodemons. Funny.

Here's a quick concept sketch - because Iron Lich sprite is very square-shaped in proportions, I think a four legged gorilla-like beast will better match the hitbox.

Spoiler

Leshy.png.3ba91e6c9f4fa662bb091b5a801bdf22.png

On 8/6/2022 at 8:28 PM, Shino1 said:

So after a solid 1year+ gap in my life where the most ridiculous stuff was happening, my life has settled down and I'm back. I was gonna finish my Stone Golem sprite, but after checking out Github I noticed there's already a finished cyclops as Maulotaur replacement.

So what sprites are the most necessary right now?

Hello and welcome back!

To be fair, if you are willing to go the extra mile, you could try to fit the golem as a d'sparil replacement by giving it a second form. Just brainstorming here, but maybe destrying the golem just release the evil spirit trapped within, regaining it's true form. This could be an elemental, a literal on the nose devil, a mass of eyes, etc, as long it could appear to be capable of teleporting around.

5 hours ago, Shino1 said:

I like this vampire warrior! Strongly reminds me of Legacy of Kain series, which is definitely a great place to take inspiration for a dark fantasy game. One thing I was wondering was their ranged attack - which gave me an LoK inspired idea based on Soul Reaver. What if they have a scarf on their face, that they lower to shoot out some kind of vampiric projectile (shaped like phantom vampire teeth) from their gaping mouth?Something like this:

Reveal hidden contents

Vampire.png.afa8d0208bc30bc30fd3f523971a215b.png

The missile is meant to tie the enemy to a vampire theme even if they don't use any life-draining attacks.

For Iron Liches w*ndigo like thing, I'm thinking perhaps of something similar to Leshy from the Witcher? A deer monster with a skull for face.

Leshy is a nature spirit in Slavic mythology, which makes sense with Iron Liches' attacks being elemental in nature. Though the monster would be wider, and fourlegged to better fit the Iron Lich hitbox. Also I wondered if they need wings... but apparently though the Iron Lich sprite floats above the floor, they can't actually fly like gargoyles or cacodemons. Funny.

Here's a quick concept sketch - because Iron Lich sprite is very square-shaped in proportions, I think a four legged gorilla-like beast will better match the hitbox.

Reveal hidden contents

Leshy.png.3ba91e6c9f4fa662bb091b5a801bdf22.png

Those are actually really good concepts, would love to see them in action ;)

Hey, do y'all need maps for this project? I'd be down to contribute provided I can get an idea of what resources are available

On 8/7/2022 at 9:04 PM, Sr_Ludicolo said:

Hey, do y'all need maps for this project? I'd be down to contribute provided I can get an idea of what resources are available

Hello, yes, very much so. Here's some links as a refresher:

Latest "stable" release on github, from there you can find everything of note.

Latest compiled snapshot, not much happened since, but can be used as iwad on your editor of choise.

17 minutes ago, Cacowad said:

Hello, yes, very much so. Here's some links as a refresher:

Latest "stable" release on github, from there you can find everything of note.

Latest compiled snapshot, not much happened since, but can be used as iwad on your editor of choise.

I assume this should work in Chocolate Heretic, right? 

From the wiki page about compatibility:

The following ports do not have required features to support Blasphemer:

Chocolate-Heretic - No limit removal

The project is currently vanilla+, meaning it should work on the original heretic executable modded to be limit-removing. tested ports include:

• Heretic+
  • (G)zdoom
  • Dsda-doom
  • Crispy-heretic
  • Vavoom

To be fair, i have not received reports on port compatibility in a long time. So some informations may be outdated and\or incorrect.

On 8/7/2022 at 8:59 PM, Cacowad said:

Hello and welcome back!

To be fair, if you are willing to go the extra mile, you could try to fit the golem as a d'sparil replacement by giving it a second form. Just brainstorming here, but maybe destrying the golem just release the evil spirit trapped within, regaining it's true form. This could be an elemental, a literal on the nose devil, a mass of eyes, etc, as long it could appear to be capable of teleporting around.

Those are actually really good concepts, would love to see them in action ;)

Oh, I could reuse the idea of the golem having a heart made of a ruby that I put in the old script draft.

So first form is the Golem that some kind of an eldritch god from beyond wants to use as a host body for itself, and the ruby heart is what binds it to this plane. But you destroy it, so you unleash the real, smaller ethereal form of the elder god with ruby floating inside of the ectoplasm cloud.

It'd also make sense that the eldritch god summons the floating Grell creatures, it already looks pretty Lovecraftian.

The ruby heart can even be like, the central mcguffin of the plot? So you go after the Order, learn that the Order is trying to use this Ruby Heart to summon a demon god, you try to stop them, you fight the Golem and then demon's true form. That could be the plot of first three episodes.

(Because. You know. We still don't have text intermission screens with the story.)

Edited by Shino1

I think it's a good call to have the giant Golem/elder god combo as the final boss, specially because of the way dsparil works, where his first form has a considerable higher radius and height, befitting for it's stature.

Must say also, as a big fan of LoK, I quite like the inspiration put on that vampire. Funny too because I myself took some inspiration from Raziel when making the player sprite years back.

I'm also glad we can have a proper, more fitting name for the new Lich too. I am aware that the actual wendigo legend has nothing to do with the pop-culture idea of "antler demon", but i didn't know what else to call it. Reading up on the Leshy it looks more fitting to the heavy metal aesthetic this game has going on too

Maybe it's skin can be like the bark of a tree, with the hands being like twisted roots or branches