Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Springy

Blasphemer discussion

Hi, I'm a pixel artist and a beginning Doom mapper, and I'd like to participate in this project. From what has been said, is working on Maulotaur replacement sprites a good way to start contributing?

Sweet! I will get cracking and post here once I will have some actual progress.

Result of a day's work: Stone Golem, the Maulotaur replacement. Character design and the sprite itself.

59068916_StoneGolem-Maulotaur-design.png.c2597735093c7913e8ffef29a3a64236.pngStoneGolem.png.c52a69a470e956af2b0deaee10686ce0.png

If that quality is acceptable, I will keep working on other frames. If not, I'd appreciate feedback so I can improve, this is first Doom sprite (well, Heretic but you get the point) in my life.

That looks really awesome!!

Thank you, it's great to see progress in Blasphemer.

Did you check to keep it within Heretic's color palette?

I used the palette I found in the Experimental branch of the Blasphemer Github. It appears to be slightly different from Heretic (for example, pink tones appear to be replaced with lilac).

The concepts looks very good!

22 hours ago, Ferk said:

That looks really awesome!!

Thank you, it's great to see progress in Blasphemer.

Did you check to keep it within Heretic's color palette?

The palette is slightly different, but was tested to be compatible

Your Stone Golem looks very nice, please keep it up!

Do you draw by hand straight away or did you make a model first?

Am I the only one who thinks the design is too close to Shovel Knight or something?

Spoiler

5a4199056d54b75c6d3193ec8539f955

Edited by Danfun64

Shovel knight it's basically a walking trope with a shovel, i don't see any issue here.

Armors with horned helmets are not shovel knight exclusive property. Golden Axe anyone?

image.png.6742c988c947b7eb8488984abb45c6f0.pnglatest?cb=20190519142832images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQlRbKjGRwzzcZgURTvkby

On 9/16/2019 at 7:25 PM, MrFlibble said:

Your Stone Golem looks very nice, please keep it up!

Do you draw by hand straight away or did you make a model first?

Actually first I made a digital painting with a tablet, shrunk it down to about Maulotaur size, converted it to Blasphemer palette with automatic dithering in GIMP, and then I proceeded to touch it up by hand manually. From what I've tried, Doom engine artstyle uses a bit too many colors at once to bother doing the smooth gradients by hand by literaly placing every single pixel, like you would do with most spritework.

But I considered making a 3D model, if work will be going too slowly, I will probably do that.

As for Shovel Knight - I imagine the similarity is because such horned helmets did exist in real life. I assure you that Shovel Knight was the last thing on my mind when designing him.

image.png.2890d71a1bb77468563fb5d90dcaa36b.pngEFDCXH.jpg.ce9277f086df49b8902e941c3d3f56fd.jpg