Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Simple, yet enjoyable. Rather flat-structured, but there's something artful in the shapes of the architecture - no real surprise, this is a map by Memfis. Texturing is kind of wonky at times, but doesn't feel unprofessional either - again, Memfis does such maps. Nice music.

Well, what can I say, that was in the past. Don't expect anything near that "quality" from Memfy anymore as he clearly ran out of ideas a long time ago. I should just retire already, I know, everyone is probably sick of these depressed mapper threads. :D

If you stay at making simple low-effort maps such as this one, it has a positive side too - maybe you'll be finally able to form an episode / megawad of them. :P

Honestly, I wouldn't like to see you quit mapping, but I would like to see you quit moping, dude. You make cool maps, but if you're going through a creative dryspell it'll pass sooner or later and it's not a good reason to quit unless you're ACTUALLY outright sick of the process.

also memfis had enough maps for a megawad some time ago and bombarded the archive with them individually instead of compiling them, dick move bro

Marcaek said:

also memfis had enough maps for a megawad some time ago and bombarded the archive with them individually instead of compiling them, dick move bro

He has justified it in this thread, though. :)

And yeah, Memfis, don't quit. Your potential is admirable, that's for sure.

Since Memfis grants permission to modify his work, maybe the community could assemble a megawad from his individual releases?

This was a pretty good map. Really nailed the classic techbase motif.

Although I'm mildly disappointed, given the name "Pikalev" that it didn't turn out to secretly be a level shaped like Pikachu or something silly and dumb like that. It's almost certainly better off for not being that, at least.

I named it pikalev because Nekit from Elma Online calls me pika. :)) I actually had an idea to make a map based on a drawing of a cartoon character (Princess Celestia from My Little Pony) but never got around to it.

Marcaek said:

I disagree, just because a person made several maps in completely different styles doesn't mean that he should put them together in one wad. How do people even come to that conclusion?

I've been unhappy with mapping for years so dunno if that will ever change. I guess I'll stop for 30 years or so, then come back to see if I'm still interested in making levels. Or maybe I'll continue making these topics for attention.

Memfis said:

I've been unhappy with mapping for years so dunno if that will ever change. I guess I'll stop for 30 years or so, then come back to see if I'm still interested in making levels. Or maybe I'll continue making these topics for attention.

Try to stop the mapping during 30 years, and you will catch the Joshy's syndrome. I'm sure that you will create a megawad, one day :)

Btw, I played your map, once again, it was refreshing, I thought that your map will be a little hard, but it's not the case.

My FDA

Thanks for the encouragement guys, I guess I'll just try to take it easy, not worry about mapping and see if inspiration will come again... I just haven't learned yet how to accept mapper's block and move on to other things for a while, it feels frustrating not to be able to make anything so I keep trying and get even more and more annoyed, then I go on Doomworld and make crappy posts about Brutal Doom or something. :))

Well, I've definitely tried to map in the face of mappers block, and the results were worse than anything you've released. Keep it up man, when you want to make em, we want to play em.

Memfis have you considered learning some other skills too? My favourite way of escaping any kind of block (mapping block, musician's block etc) is to pick up something new like learning how to make textures or some new coding thing. Just a suggestion! I'd hate to see you stop mapping.

I will try and play this map tonight after work