Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geo

Games about Hunger, Eating, Autumn or Thanksgiving

Frogger
that one Noah's Ark Wolf3D mod that made the enemies into animals you would "feed" instead of killing them
Snapple Good Fruit Bad Fruit

Tell us, what are you hating on with that statement: tryptophan, gravy, Abe Lincoln, fatasses, Hunger Games: the video game or sitting around watching football?

@ TheCupboard: Possibly the history of shitty treatment of native americans and historical revisionism that goes hand-in-hand with it. :P

Also, Proteus has a phase that covers fall, and it feels pretty accurate for the season.

Membrain said:

@ TheCupboard: Possibly the history of shitty treatment of native americans and historical revisionism that goes hand-in-hand with it. :P

Well, yeah everyone with a conscience should protest historical revisionism and genocide of the Arawak, plus all the other clans who followed their fate in the name of society's progression, but I choose to do all my protesting on Columbus Day instead. :p

I played an hour of Proteus a month ago. It wasn't enough to hold my interest. Its a good game to calm you since there is no threat.

I have reconciled my views on Thanksgiving with the historical revisionism etc. Just observe it as a thing on its own right, without acknowledging or celebrated its historical roots. I guess that's a little historical revisionism of my own, but it's not like I'm lying or denying what happened. Just saying that I do believe a fall feast/festival is appropriate, and this time slot is already allotted. Maybe take some time out to remember where it originally came from, because the atrocities shouldn't be forgotten, but I think it's better to reclaim the holiday rather than abolish it altogether.

Heck, and to be fair, many of the holidays we celebrate represent some horrible things like the re-appropriation of other cultures. Take Halloween, or Easter, or Christmas - all of them represent some form of hijacking of other holidays by Christians in an effort to convert the heathens (or you can go with the softer take and say that other cultural customs were simply gradually absorbed into Christianity, but either way, those holidays have origins going back way before the Christians ever got involved).

geekmarine said:

I have reconciled my views on Thanksgiving with the historical revisionism etc. Just observe it as a thing on its own right, without acknowledging or celebrated its historical roots. I guess that's a little historical revisionism of my own, but it's not like I'm lying or denying what happened. Just saying that I do believe a fall feast/festival is appropriate, and this time slot is already allotted. Maybe take some time out to remember where it originally came from, because the atrocities shouldn't be forgotten, but I think it's better to reclaim the holiday rather than abolish it altogether.

Heck, and to be fair, many of the holidays we celebrate represent some horrible things like the re-appropriation of other cultures. Take Halloween, or Easter, or Christmas - all of them represent some form of hijacking of other holidays by Christians in an effort to convert the heathens (or you can go with the softer take and say that other cultural customs were simply gradually absorbed into Christianity, but either way, those holidays have origins going back way before the Christians ever got involved).

Yeah, just enjoy the turkey, forget about the indians getting butchered. I think thanksgiving is a fucking retarded us holiday, it's like celebrating Columbus Day. Why not have a Hitler day?

doomgargoyle said:

it's like celebrating Columbus Day. Why not have a Hitler day?

Because Hitler wasn't the first person to discover America to prove the world is a circle (injuns and Vikings don't count because they're communists)

StupidBunny said:

Because Hitler wasn't the first person to discover America to prove the world is a circle (injuns and Vikings don't count because they're communists)

I thought the world was a sphere, not a circle. Come to think of it, there was already a Hitler day. Columbus was kind of a Hitler in its era, met a few weird looking people, butchered them, stuck them in cages and shipped them back to europe.

StupidBunny said:

The ancient Greeks were actually the first to suggest that the Earth had a spherical shape in the 6th century BC. Though this was only confirmed to Western civilization much later through exploration.

Yeeeees, I know the world is a sphere and that knowledge of this predates Columbus by centuries. It was my bad for feigning ignorance in an online text format.

What I don't understand is why I get a day off for Columbus Day, but not one for Veteran's day.

Inkie said:

What I don't understand is why I get a day off for Columbus Day, but not one for Veteran's day.

Back when I worked for the state, we were given the option to take off on both of those days. Thus, it varies from your position, and/or where you're located.

There's nothing wrong with a Fall holiday. I'm not ignoring the slaughter of Native Americans, I'm saying let's have a holiday separated from that. What's wrong with that?

geekmarine said:

There's nothing wrong with a Fall holiday. I'm not ignoring the slaughter of Native Americans, I'm saying let's have a holiday separated from that. What's wrong with that?

I'm actually totally alright with it. I kind of regret bringing it up in this thread, tbh. Sorry.

Also, Canada's Thanksgiving is not far off from the US flavor, and it isn't quite as based in the same stuff. (Though they do have their own problems, Thanksgiving is not directly celebrating them as in America, IIRC.)