Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Psychotron

How to remove lyrics from Midi files?

I have a bunch of Midi files that could be great DooM music, however when the midi file has "lyrics" in it (which sound more like an electrical storm on a Playskool piano), it ruins the whole thing and then I don't want to use it.

Is there a decent program that can edit the Midi to remove these "lyrics" and save it as a new Midi minus the crap???

Many thanks,
The 'Tronster

Heh I didn't even know MIDI could have lyrics.

Any MIDI editor should be able to remove them, just delete the track they're on. I don't know of any free ones, but Cakewalk9 is supposedly good. In fact I have it, if you want to just mail me the MIDI I could see if I could take them out.

[edit]hmph, email doesn't show in profile anymore, use lut@doomcenter.com[/edit]

I think he means the whiney sound that represents the vocals on a midi track - i get the same problem on the ones i've used on my wads. Some, like Black No1 (Type O-Negative) aren't too noticable, but Chop Suey (SOAD) in particular is an annoying bastard.

Anyway, no, i've no idea how to get rid of 'em. If i did, i'd have sorted mine out long ago.

my midi editor can actually make real voice lyrics...of course, MIDI isn't it's standard format (and it's only on Mac) It ordinarily costs $100, but i just keep unstuffing it...poor author guy person

talking about midis...i ripped all of the songs from doom1 as .mus files, transformed em to midi....now i'm searching for a prog to make it into .wav files...any suggestions? i tried winamp with plugin, but it didnt work.....

another thing that i'm curious about...i plan to use some songs for my levels..how can i convert em from mp3/wav/cd to midi/mus? any good and easy to use progs out there?

talking about midis...i ripped all of the songs from doom1 as .mus files, transformed em to midi....now i'm searching for a prog to make it into .wav files...any suggestions? i tried winamp with plugin, but it didnt work.....

The best way to convert a MIDI file to a WAV file is simply recording it. Open Winamp or whichever program you use to play back the MIDIs and a WAV editor (Windows Sound Recorder may do, it's just a bit itchy to use for this purpose). Start recording in the WAV editor, play the song. Hopefully this should record the music properly. If it doesn't work, go into the volume control and check your sound/mixer configuration (MIDI should be checked for recording).

The above does not work with all soundcards. For example, my old ESS-? refuses to correctly record any MIDI at all unless I record at 22Khz, which gives horrible sound quality. I do know that even a cheap SoundBlaster Live! however will work adequately (because I use one). A SB Live! also gives you the additional opportunity of using high quality soundfonts for the recording. Good, free soundfonts are unfortunately a bit hard to find (here's one that's supposed to be good although I have not tried it myself).

If you can't record with your hardware, there is another possibility, in using a program that reads a soundfont file and a MIDI file, and converts to a WAV in software mode. I don't know the details about any such programs, but I know there are.

another thing that i'm curious about...i plan to use some songs for my levels..how can i convert em from mp3/wav/cd to midi/mus? any good and easy to use progs out there?

Tough. I've heard rumours of a "wav2mid" program, but I really doubt it exists. If it does exists, it could not be very good. MIDI/MUS files contain only note values. Sounds as stored in WAV/MP3/CD format, or in real life, are very complex. A human ear can hear several different tones in an arbitrary sequence of music, but a computer is unable to interpret any of the sound as "music" in a simple way. It can of course be done, but it would require superhuman knowledge and programming skills, and it would require very much computation. The best solution is that you or someone else just sequences the MIDI.

A Drowning Mind said:

how can i convert em from mp3/wav/cd to midi/mus? any good and easy to use progs out there?

You can't.

Well, the only way is to transform the song into a soundfont, assign it to some instrument like the Grand Piano, and then make a MIDI where you do nothing but press the base key (the key that represents the pure sample in the soundfont) and hold it until the song is over.

Of course that's completely unpractical. And retarded.

There are plenty of programs that can turn WAVs into MP3s. (and vice-versa) One I know of is Cool Edit 200. I don't know of anything that can convert MIDIs to WAVs, unless u hold the mic to the speaker and record the MIDI as a WAV. (resulting in crap)

thanks for all that feedback, i think i'll try the soundrecorder before i dig for other progs......kind of a shame that it's so difficult making songs for doom to use....hell, i'd love to have 213 by slayer for my opening map =)