Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ChameleonVXV

MegaWADs with final bosses?

I'm not a big fan of the Icon of Sin, or some variation of John Romeros head as the end boss of a megawad, as it doesn't seem very original or creative. What are some of the best megawads that have an actual fightable monster as the final boss of the game?

The only real one I can think of that I've seen is Doom: Survive in Hell. Or any Ultimate Doom megawad since those tend to have the Spider Mastermind as the final boss, but those don't count.

I'm making one myself, but never finished it. WAY too many projects to complete.

Wad, Posslabs.wad.

idk when I will get to that again.

VGA said:

Winter's Fury has some epic bosses, muahahahaha!

(gzdoom only)

Winter's fury is disqualified under thread's starting post (MEGAWADS with final bosses, not wads with final bosses) along with threshold of pain, but considering how few wads have REAL final bosses, that is a 100% discount.

But, let's be honest, there aren't too MANY wads let alone megawads with real final bosses that are not icon of sins and I don't have many on mind right now, even with coming of zdoom's magical scripting capabilities (with limitations) people never really stayed away from cyberdemons, spider masterminds or useless walls.

My (oddly zdoom Hexen) pick goes to http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/hexen/p-r/roc.zip

Resurrection of Chaos, it's not a megawad but it does contain a beefy unusual final boss at the end. It's a fun journey that will make you play hexen properly during it. It's hard, it's mean, but it's rewarding.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom2/Ports/s-u/tribute.zip

Another decent pick is Tribute by Zalewa, a skulltag (yes you will need the skulltag data thingies in zdoom/zandro) pick this time around, he just took some of his favorite things and mixed them in, including a level that seems straight out of the first unreal game. IT DOES have a boss that is basically the final boss of the wad though it doesn't end the wad because there's more after it, but it's more of an epilogue really.

ZPack. Final boss for episode 1 is Vader's Terminator. Final boss for episode 2 is a pair of diabolists. Final boss for episode 3 is the infernal spider. Each episode is 10 levels (including secret level) so you get a total of 30 levels, or 27 if you miss the secret exits.

There's a sort of icon fight in episode 2's secret level, but it's scripted very differently. For one thing, it doesn't spawn an infinite amount of monsters, instead it's a swarm that teleports in gradually and eventually there's no more of them. For another, the wall attacks you directly by spawning projectiles (rockets and mancubus fireballs) but there are three demons that operate it, two barons and one spider mastermind. They get briefly exposed at regular points during the fight, so you can shoot and kill them, when one dies the attacks from its side ceases, and when all die the level is completed.

jmickle66666666 said:

another not-megawad, but uac ultra has a mini-boss and a final boss (can't remember what the final boss consisted of tho, may have had a spawner)

That final boss in UU1 was just a weird IOS variant with some dehacked work involved, if I recall correctly. (I do distinguish between UU1 and UU2, and I really mean UU1) The same thing can be said about the final boss in Jenesis.

jmickle66666666 said:

another not-megawad, but uac ultra has a mini-boss and a final boss (can't remember what the final boss consisted of tho, may have had a spawner)

I almost mentioned UAC Ultra upthread, but it's basically just a Romero head with a puzzle; pretty sure there's no spawner. (It is pretty sweet, though.)

Pure Hellspawn said:

countdown to extinction has an icon spitter.

That may be true, but the Spawn shooters are more just to keep a steady flow of enemies coming in: there's still a completely separate entity you need to kill in order to win the game.