Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
40oz

way to layer two textures on top of each other?

Is there a trick outside of creating a new texture1 lump where you could layer one texture (ie like vines) on top of another texture so they appear on the same surface? I could swear I've seen an effect like that somewhere but the only wad I can think of that does it is one of the TNT deathmatch megawads where blood splats are pasted on walls, but even those have at least a pixel wide gap between it and the wall.

do upper textures layer appear on top? Could you, in theory, use the upper texture as the desired see-through texture like vines, and use your solid texture like bricks as the middle texture, then offset it up so its in line with the upper texture?

40oz said:

Is there a trick outside of creating a new texture1 lump where you could layer one texture (ie like vines) on top of another texture so they appear on the same surface?

Only via ZDoom's polyobjects. There can be a transparent midtexture, and a polyobject right behind it to make the background midtexture, then the gap between them can be 0.

In standard cases, one pixel wide gap should do the job easily and efficiently, don't you think?

40oz said:

do upper textures layer appear on top? Could you, in theory, use the upper texture as the desired see-through texture like vines, and use your solid texture like bricks as the middle texture, then offset it up so its in line with the upper texture?

I have no idea. Why don't you try it?

EDIT: Maybe if you fooled the editor to place 2 linedefs (multiple sidedefs) on top of each other... It might do the trick you were talking about. But I don't know if it would work at all.

the lower texture always takes priority when the ceiling is lower than the floor, i'm certain (but haven't checked) that a lower texture with transparent sections (like vines) would just show up with black sections instead.

in most scenarios, having the seperate linedef 1px away would do the job really well. there aren't many cases where the player can get close enough to check/see. (i do this quite a lot)

scifista42 said:

EDIT: Maybe if you fooled the editor to place 2 linedefs (multiple sidedefs) on top of each other... It might do the trick you were talking about. But I don't know if it would work at all.

In DB1 you can make a linedef with midtex vines and then drag it over top of another linedef, then go Edit->undo stitch vertices, so that both lines are directly on each other. Don't know how it displays though, no db on this comp.

scifista42 said:

I have no idea. Why don't you try it?

Busy day, can't get close to a computer until tomorrow. Posting from my phone in case anyone knows the answer or is available to experiment. I didn't want the question to hang around on my mind distracting me from my work routine.