Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hatechild

Editable? Anyone Know?

Doom3 will be MUCH more editable than classic Doom, and will likely even come with all the editors you need. Thing is, whether or not you'll be able to understand it, since it's like 1000x more complex than classic Doom.

Lüt said:

since it's like 1000x more complex than classic Doom.

Heh. Try to create a five story building with the original DOOM. That should be approximately 1000x easier in DOOM 3...

In many ways, true 3D polygon modelling is much more intuitive than messing around with sidedefs and tweaking vertexes. I'm sure it'll be worth investing some time in.

Yo Deep, will you make a Deepsea for doom 3 ;).

BTW, anyone know if it come out with a editor with it or we will have to do them ourselves ?

Lüt said:

Doom3 will be MUCH more editable than classic Doom, and will likely even come with all the editors you need. Thing is, whether or not you'll be able to understand it, since it's like 1000x more complex than classic Doom.

Bullshit, i will be easy as ever.
I dont think the levelgeometrie is more complex than in the most up to date quake3 levels. The detail comes from the bumpmapping wich is defined via shaderfile

You have to edit more shaders in the future.
And there will be a complete new entity and animation system. No shit like the static entity system in q3. There some new things in but i dont think that i will be much complexer than q3.

It's been rumoured for a while, but the editor is completely IN GAME!
As soon as you start playing Doom, press a button and go into the editor, it's all dynamic and the BSP format is OUTTA here. I can't remember where I read this...I think it was the Gamespy article mentioned in the other thread...but I'm not sure.

I expect it will depend on your level of experience. Either way, we could be seeing some awesome stuff with this engine, and terrain seems to be possible as well. It's all good.

Hmm, let's hope it has some built-in protection so you can't just access the game's levels and change things around. It would make an interesting way of cheating though - not enough health to finish off that Baron ? Put some medkits around that corner ! Don't like this part of the level ? Construct a hallway from your current position to the end ! This would also be a major issue for on-line cheating.

Cool, but potentially dangerous. Not entirely unlike me.

Fredrik said:

Uh, I'm sure "game mode" and "editing mode" will be quite separate.

Yeah, of course. What I mean is, if there's no BSP process and the levels are easily accessible, that means that without any form of protection you could go and alter the single player levels at will.

I hope they somehow make it impossible to edit the original levels at first, like making it require a patch file that they release a few months after the game.

Fredrik said:

Uh, I'm sure "game mode" and "editing mode" will be quite separate.

On the contrary, read this:

GameSpy said:

the development tools are built into the game's executable. So, as Stratton put it "when you're running the game, you're running the editor." What this means is that you'll be able to walk around in a level, press a key, bring up the editor, place some lights, and go back to the level. It seems the old .BSP process is gone, and will be replaced by something different, so while this may be a bit of a learning curve for mappers, they can rest easy knowing that tools will be included with the game.

Woohoo!

It doesn't say "game mode" and "editing mode" are the same. It just says editing mode is within the same .exe and behaves like game mode. It would be kind of silly if you were in the middle of the suspension and decided to go into edit mode, wouldn't it? :P

while this may be a bit of a learning curve for mappers

Uh yeah right. For me, 5 hours of attempting to map for Quake resulted in a square room with some boxes and a light, while 2 hours of editing for Cube resulted in two connected rooms with architecture and texturing. Go figure which of them the described way of editing in DOOM3 is the most like.

It seems the old .BSP process is gone, and will be replaced by something different

What kind of journalism is that. The "something different" is portal technology and we've known that for quite a while now.

BSP compile times had better friggin disappear - my last map took 5 days and nearly killed my PC.

GS-1719 said:

BSP compile times had better friggin disappear - my last map took 5 days and nearly killed my PC.

Some of my DOOM levels get close to that :)

Fredrik said:

The "something different" is portal technology and we've known that for quite a while now.

Portal technology eh?

GS-1719 said:

Sheesh, you might want to upgrade to a PC that's only a decade old.