Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SYS

Blizzard Announces Overwatch

So Blizzard has been working on a team based FPS. I think it looks absolutely bonkers. The "classes" are hero-centric like DoTA & LoL. Aside from all the "HURRR TF2 ripoff", it looks quite promising.

That looks amazing !!
Never thought of blizzard as a company for this type of game.

Even though it seems to miss some impact in the sounds and gun hits.

I'm saying it: they emphasize/stole Carn's graphic effects from Wrack.

Fuck Blizzard though. They are one droopy penis after they tarnished the good reputation of Diablo.

People are labeling this as a TF2 rip off? Who cares if it is, the FPS formula is getting to a point where its almost impossible to do anything brand new.

The art looks utterly gorgeous. Unfortunately, I was never a big fan of Team Fortress 2 and similarly anything derived from it. Frankly, they're all ripping off TFC, ya scrubs. ;)

I do hope there's a way to increase the hud size, though. I'm having an increasingly harder time reading anything on these modern fps hud designs. Modern Warfare 2's hud seems to be have been the best modern design; it was both extremely clean and surprisingly legible.

Making a game in a genre is not ripping of another game, it is working within confines but possibly
inspired by something which exists.

A Toyota hilux is not a Ford f100 rip off because it is the same genre with wheels and an engine...
They both are vehicles in a genre with confines related to that genre.

BlueFeena said:

Frankly, they're all ripping off TFC, ya scrubs. ;)

Quake TF mothafucka :)

i'll probably never play this, but it looks really slick. how do you balance out a team-based multiplayer FPS with 10 classes, though?

I admit that this trailer's got my interest, looks like a mixture of TF2, Sanctum, Dishonored and Devil knows what else. The number of player classes is pretty confusing though, and they seem to be quite an eclectic team altogether. To an extent, it reminds of some stoned MOBA game (like... I dunno, League of Legends, blergh) turned into an FPS, not the most comfortable feeling.
...Still, I always have an option of just sticking to the Reaper or Widowmaker if I ever happen to play this thing, without bothering with other classes, heh. These seem to be the most attractive.

FireFish said:

Making a game in a genre is not ripping of another game, it is working within confines but possibly
inspired by something which exists.

Man, I remember when everybody called the genre "Doom-clone."

It seems more like WoW PvP Battlegrounds with FPS mechanics thrown in than a TF2 ripoff. Blizzard has been doing class-based team arena combat for years. Now they've just added guns.

I'd say its their TF2 slayer. Like a level up from TF2 in terms of mechanics and insanity.

China has their own TF2 clone.

It is all an attempt to kill Steam and make money with their digital distribution. I don't think this will do it, so much as Origin can do it.

the internet said:

Well it's basically a TF2 clone but its not a ripoff because blah blah blah mental gymnastics blah blah

Remember when Blizzard pushed genres forward?

While TF2 had a good idea with the class system the gamemodes are really quite basic and I feel it's got lost potential in a sense, it even lacks a varied objective/defend gamemode which I would've liked since I enjoyed a gamemode like that in other class based MP games such as ETQW, the new weapon drops really unbalance the game also and the whle hat obsession is ridiculous.

Avoozl said:

While TF2 had a good idea with the class system the gamemodes are really quite basic and I feel it's got lost potential in a sense, it even lacks a varied objective/defend gamemode which I would've liked since I enjoyed a gamemode like that in other class based MP games such as ETQW, the new weapon drops really unbalance the game also and the whle hat obsession is ridiculous.

They have objective/defend. In fact it all is. Push the cart, control the point. They even have specific attack/defend maps that either end in 1 minute or take 20+. They have a tug of war control point system that makes for good matches, but its always the control point.

The hat obsession is for people to make money playing a game. Trading stuff, getting paypal for stuff. Some people 'make a living' off of it or did at some point.

As for the coaster pic, I know the first 2 years of riding coasters my fear made me look like I was dead. Now I'm just hands up take me Jesus I don't give a fuck.