Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
darkreaver

Maps with snow

Memfis said:

Nordhell map01, one of the cutest maps in existence?

+1 for cutesy. It's the only wad I've ever played that made me wish to see more revenants there.

Regarding the snow texture in this wad, the principle can theoretically be improved to make it animate smoother. All what's needed is a larger number of animation "frames" that look like fluently falling snow. The first one and the last one should have a name of an animated texture (for example WFALL1, WFALL4), the rest can be called however. Add them to TEXTURES and it should animate properly.

Ah yes, Nordhell. Any more?

It's nearing christmas and that cozy feel ;) Also Im looking into adding snowfall to a wad. I have no idea howto though. Do I have to sacrifice existing animated patches? Also, what will the height limit be?
D-D had rain effects in Elysion, but he edited one of the torch sprites and placed them all over the map IIRC

darkreaver said:

Im looking into adding snowfall to a wad. I have no idea howto though. Do I have to sacrifice existing animated patches? Also, what will the height limit be?

Do it like I advised before. Find out a list of hardcoded animated textures, and name your snowfall textures like one of them that doesn't appear in Doom2.wad. Or add an already existing name, then open TEXTURE1 lump in SLADE3 and delete the original animated textures of that name there. This way, you don't have to stick to 4 animations at maximum.

Height:
Vanilla: Maximum 128, I believe. Maybe 255 for 2-sided-line midtextures.
Boom: Maximum 255.
Non-strict Boom (including PrBoom+) and "higher" ports: Practically unlimited.

darkreaver said:

I'm looking into adding snowfall to a wad. I have no idea howto though. Do I have to sacrifice existing animated patches? Also, what will the height limit be?

I guess it depends what port you'd be using and computer speed. DECORATE-created snow probably puts more strain on a system - lots of spawn spots; lots of moving objects on screen at the same time. Animated textures - not so much.

What scifista42 said is the easiest. There's lots of examples of people adding waterfall textures to maps using an ANIMDEFS entry. Just replace the WFALL1-4 files with SNOW1-4; or SNOW01-16; or 32. What ever you want. Nordhell uses 4 snow textures replacing BFALL1-4. You can edit the graphics so the snowflakes don't fall as far between frames to make it smoother, then adjust the number of tics in ANIMDEFS so they fall faster or slower; increase for a gentle snow or decrease for a blizzard.

If you want to play with DECORATE, you could go to Realm667.com and download the "Snow Simple" Spawner from the Weather Generators page under SFX Shoppe in the Repository.

http://www.realm667.com/index.php/en/sfx-shoppe-mainmenu-139-58855/weather-generators-mainmenu-144-68253

I love his site.

animated textures

Boring. Looks bad.

DECORATE

Yuck.

What you could do is: in a nightmare map on complevel 9, use the dead state of an enemy as the snowflake (something small, not a big sparkly thing), silent teleport them into the area at a great height and use nightmare behaviour to respawn the flakes back in the conveyor/crusher/teleporter that they start in. I'm pretty sure this is the only sub-zdoom-compatibility way of dropping things, and I think you can give the flakes horizontal momentum this way as well.

Much more interesting. Tell me how it goes.

...Or you could use an individual animated thing for each flake I guess. Better than animated textures because they wouldn't be obviously flat, but there's still a height restriction, it would probably look quite jerky, and it'd be a pain to sort out the resources and frames you'd need.

What? You mean having to play on nightmare, seeing and hearing a teleport flash for each snow flake, and waiting ~30 to ~300 seconds for each individual snow flake to flutter down from the sky is a better looking and more practical way to put snow in a wad? Maybe you should make a test wad because that sounds like a horribly sloppy and gimmicky way to do that and I'd be really impressed to see you design a map around that particular snow area thats anywhere near as complex as the way you make that work.

There won't ba a teleport flash with a conveyor and a silent teleporter. But the whole respawning idea sounds hacky as hell.

Grain of Salt said:

I'm pretty sure this is the only sub-zdoom-compatibility way of dropping things, and I think you can give the flakes horizontal momentum this way as well.

MBF allows you to spawn things with a codepointer. I recently made a purdy waterfall this way. It's a much more elegant solution.

I still think editing an object sounds like the best way but I dunno. I'll never figure out this stuff anyway. I spent a year figuring out how to add a regular texture, lol.

But, no one knows about any more maps with snow fall in them? No zdoom or anything fancy though. Kinda surprised its used that little actually. Maybe because it looks kinda...bad, because of restrictions?

joe-ilya said:

Rebirth MAP31

Well, the map has snow. And snowman enemies. And icy textures with icicles. But no falling snow, actually.

darkreaver said:

But, no one knows about any more maps with snow fall in them? No zdoom or anything fancy though.

H2H-Xmas had a few. Map25, for instance.