Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VGA

Best way to play Heretic?

I've never finished Heretic, recommend me some source port + mod for the best experience please. I'm mainly interested in sprite fixing/enhancing mods, like Smooth Doom.

I think I'd prefer a software source port for it, maybe Zdoom, because I plan to play without mouselook, but feel free to suggest another.

I play with the ketchup mod, to make things a little more interesting, and if you want some slight graphics changes I would recommend using gzdoom or zandronum.

Use a ZDoom-based port, no randomizers and no gameplay mods (but whatever visual enhancing mods you're comfortable with), settle for a slower pace than your usual, steel yourself with patience and try to forget about good architectural standards you know from Doom mods. That's my own way to enjoy Heretic, and I actually do enjoy it well when I do it like that - I just haven't played too far into it yet.

If you are running Linux, then I would recommend Doom Legacy.
I found that Heretic plays well with free-look. It has better architecture than many Doom level maps, and significant areas where the player wants to look up.