Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dg93

Video: New York Deputy Slaps Man For Refusing Unwarranted Search

He's already been suspended:

Asked if he would have handled the matter the same way again, Glans said he would, but not if he knew it was being filmed. He acknowledged that he did not know the incident was being videotaped.

"I was concerned. It was a public safety issue," the sergeant said. "If I had to do it all over again ... I'd probably do the same thing. If I knew the camera was there, no, because it does look bad."

This is why police body cams need to be made mandatory.

Well, please don't get me wrong, but why do you guys feel the need to make a thread every time a cop misbehaves? Is it really that rare in the US? I mean, if I do that every time I hear about something similar here, I would probably be the top poster around here.

Nothing like being slapped around by an egotistical power tripping fatass. Thank goodness the world is moving more towards a police state with each passing day. Who needs freedom right?

Technician said:

A little paid R&R before his sensitivity retraining will be good for him.
Most will "malfunction."

This is the common reaction whenever discussion of bodycams comes up: "cops will just turn them off when they want to commit abuses", etc. But we have to push for bodycams regardless. Statistics show that they massively reduce complaints about the police and it's not difficult to see why. Sure, some abusive cops might try to work around them, but I'd hope that police regulations can be used to keep that kind of thing in check. As Satyr000 says, it's better than nothing.

Well he didn't pull out the baton and beat the living shit out of him. Some police officers, seem to be on the edge and don't know how to stay cool and realistic around normal people sometimes; kind of like those guys that work 14 hours of hate everyday as store manager, and end up shooting co-workers because they feel alone. I think police jobs, and other long jobs, would be better off with more people available, and less focus on long hours and availability.

I personally can hack working 10+ hours but not every f*&king day for the rest of my life. I've shown up when people quit or stay home sick, but if I'm working 7 days a week 12 hours straight I might start feeling a little bit in-human, depressed and suicidal; especially around bitches that have to prove something.

"I'll rip your head off and shit down your neck"

I thought cops where there to help you, not hurt you.

But when anyone gets a little more power, they are bound to abuse it to make themselves feel better about them selves, only a few who are granted the same power use it in a helpful fashion.

Technician said:

Most will "malfunction."

They should be held accountable for any (any) obstruction. If they could be fired even if it did legitimately malfunction, you can bet they'd be scrambling to keep those things on and working.

They will malfunction in the washrooms. A man's gotta pee right?

The squad will probably delete lose the footage before it could be used in trial, like most evidence used against one of their own.

Like Fraggle said, police should be required to wear body cameras. Human beings will always over step their boundaries if left unsupervised. Let's use the cop's logic; if he's a good cop than he should have no objection to wearing one.

His wife, Carrie, who is a medical provider, said her husband has been under a lot of emotional and physical stress and that she's concerned how the video and any fallout may portray their family in the community.

"What my husband did and how he reacted wasn't the correct way to do it, but there were circumstances that came about beforehand," she said. "He's had a very hard year."

THEN PUT HIM AT A DESK JOB.

I am sick and fucking TIRED of cops and cop defenders using the "shit's hard, man" excuse. THAT DOESN'T MEAN YOU GET A "Get Out Of Jail Free" CARD. You enforce the law, therefore you cannot be above the law.

The U.S. has some of the lowest education standards for incoming police officers out of ANY industrialized nation, and we fucking pay for it every day. 5% of world population, 25% of world prisoner population.

I find it odd how frequently the "it's a tough job" defense comes up when it comes to police officers. I agree, if you can't handle the stress, find a new line of work. But more importantly, any other career, saying that you made a mistake because of how much pressure you're under would never excuse you from that mistake. They would say, "Well if you can't handle the pressure, maybe you should find a place more suitable for you," not run out and defend the mistake by saying that the guy was stressed and that we should really cut him some slack.

"He's had a very hard year." Join the fucking club, buddy. I've had a hard decade, but I still get a ticket when I lose my patience and drive 43 in a 40.

It's also utterly unreal how he gladly admitted that he would handle this situation the same way unless he knew he was being recorded. Being a bad cop is okay unless you can get caught at it. Un-fucking-believable. This guy has a history of violence and negligence, and he has no business wearing a badge, let alone carrying a fire-arm.

I couldn't help but stare at his stupid beer belly the entire time.

I've dealt with these kinds of folks a lot throughout my life. I've gotten pretty good at it, too.

Jaxxoon R said:

I couldn't help but stare at his stupid beer belly the entire time.

Lucky for him that he has a gun, baton, and a position of authority. I doubt his fat out of shape ass would fare too well if he tried slapping people regularly with out them.

Doominator2 said:

"I'll rip your head off and shit down your neck"

I thought cops where there to help you, not hurt you.

But when anyone gets a little more power, they are bound to abuse it to make themselves feel better about them selves, only a few who are granted the same power use it in a helpful fashion.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/politics/28scotus.html?_r=0

http://www.policechiefmagazine.org/magazine/index.cfm?fuseaction=display_arch&article_id=341&issue_id=72004

Actually, they aren't even required to protect you.

Think of it like this, they're farm hands, and we're the farm animals. They just make sure we don't do anything we're not supposed to be doing.

I don't really follow the idea of "they're just going to turn them off" as any sort of valid argument against bodycams (though I'm not saying it was meant as one by the folks that mentioned it). Sure, some nutters are still going to try and abuse the system, but they're already abusing the current system anyway. Statistics show that it works, so we're not even looking at a "maintain the status quo" worst-case.

It's no miracle pill, but it's a helluva improvement.

Kontra Kommando said:

For the bodycams they can live stream the camera to a federal agency, and save it in a data base.

Officer 6079-- Yes you! Stop slouching! An officer your age should strain when cracking skulls...

Agent 578.A4 from the empire slapped citizen C-4766-B2, send in the Clean-up crew and make
sure they are masked and wearing armor so nobody can see their face. Erase the tapes and
make sure citizen C-4766-B2 does not talk. Let the Mainframe monitor him for a few weeks just to
make sure.

Keep betting on computers and numbers and camera's to solve humanity while creating a false
sense of security. Until you encounter the individual who cant be calculated... system warning !

A generic police state future where computers and cameras where seen as the solution.

losing humanity in reality ;
people seem to forget that if those cameras and computers are there, not one cop will ever be
able to say 'be a good boy, now get out of here' when you commited a small crime like slightly speeding.
They will have to fine you, they will be forced to because there will be no way out.

What if people were able to watch police cam live feeds online? We already can listen to police radios. It would basically be the show Cops with every officer being filmed.