Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
runningonjava

I Need A Frontend With Modem Support That Works!

I'm having problems finding a frontend for doom 2 that supports a modem to modem play, and allows other executables like zdoom.exe if anyone knows of one please tell me!

thanks

back in the day we used sersetup.exe or dm.exe, heck setup.exe even worked for the modoom days.

I don't think there is such a front end. Doom2 uses the ipx protocol, and the things KNorton said will set up your modem, dial it to the other person's telephone number, and allow the ipx protocol (I guess, or the ipx is somehow a default).
Zdoom uses TCP/IP so generally you would connect to the internet, so would the other player, one would start zdoom as host and the other would use -join (host's IP) in the command line. There are some programs that help this out, Fodders knows them, like doom connector. The don't literally connect modem-to-modem, you'll be going through your ISP.

Just make one PC the dial-up server, the other one the client. You can use IPX and / or TCP. If you do so, every
frontend out there will work.

Root, can you please provide more detailed information? How does one "make a PC a dial-up server"? What software is running to do this?
Then, what software would a client use which "knows" how to dial a modem? All I know about is the original DM.exe and things that used to exist like DWANGO and Sirdoom.

Hey, I just saw y'alls posts in the source ports forum about King Doom. Read a few things on it. As far as I can tell, King Doom or KDX requires the computers using it to be connected to the internet, or on a LAN. It is not actually a dial-up anything, is it?

I know that i can use tcp/ip and connect over the internet. But my connection is horrible, and i like to play modem-modem. I know there are some out there, but i can't get any to work my computer. An explample is a program on cdrom.com called "asuperfe95.zip"

Biffy said:

Root, can you please provide more detailed information? How does one "make a PC a dial-up server"? What software is running to do this?
Then, what software would a client use which "knows" how to dial a modem? All I know about is the original DM.exe and things that used to exist like DWANGO and Sirdoom.

OK, that's easy: The dial-up server is included in Win98 and also in Win95 after the DUN update. All you have to do is activate it in the dial-up network context (only on one PC). I suggest you to search for some informations regarding dial-up net, so you know
what's going on. YOu can now simply establish a connection between the computers, then
use a frontend or the command line to make a network game on TCP or IPX base.

fodders said:

I can see no reason why DM.exe isn't ideal for the purpose, it works fine

It's not as flexible as a universal solution.

Zdoom is tcp/ip it doesn't blend well to direct modem connections
Try ser 7-5Windows-resembling, relatively sophisticated-looking launcher for Doom and Doom2 modem games. Permits usage of nonstandard COM/data port configurations, which doom2's serial driver cannot do. Has a chat window, WAD viewing abilities, and other convenience goodies.
Read Bahdko's modem guide too may help

I miss the days when the only way I knew of playing doom and doom 2 in multiplayer was using sersetup.exe and setup.exe. I used 2 play thru a serial cable. lol, that was interesting wasnt it. Sorry, KNorton gave me a bit of nostalgia

Btw, what's T3H Doom, cos Hell Knight (or Inferno on ZDaemon) told me doom sucked and he didnt like it anymore, and wen i asked him if he still played it at all, he sed he's got back into T3H Doom?

I used to connect to the UK's biggest Doom2 playing BBS via serial at 19,200 back in the days when all modems were 14,400, distinct advantage, although everyone made me mod the games so I lost the advantage with Green lag

MaTT, it actually worked pretty well with doom2.exe. 320x200 resolution of course. Heretic too. IIRC Duke Nukem and Blood would work fine at 9600. There was maybe a little chop or lag, but pretty reasonable.

cool. I've only ever played classic doom2 (and doom) multiplayers thru a null modem cable. same with heretic. (I'v never managed 2 successfully play a multiplayer on Blood and i dont hav the game anymore).

Its a shame about Kali. Just when I get free membership (they're givin that away at the moment, but it ses its only temporary, although its been there for months, at least), no1 uses it anymore. The kali server(s) is always almost empty. ne1 no why?

I forgot u could use icq for games and stuff. I'v never actually done it but i no how 2. I think u (fodders) gave me a site 2 go 2 b4 showin how to set up ZDoom on icq. That'd b a better way of playin with/against DeaN [TiK] cos at present, i hav 2 host a ZDaemon server with a 2-player max and then if sum1 gets disconnected, other ppl come in and get in the way (cos Dean dusnt understand IPs and stuff so i hav 2 stick the server on the master server list for him 2 find it), plus we'd b able 2 play a coop with cheats enabled which dean always wants 2 do. If any1 chose 2 read this, then sorry 4 wastin ur time, lol.

KNorton said:

back in the day we used sersetup.exe or dm.exe, heck setup.exe even worked for the modoom days.

I haven't tried those in ages. the last time I tried online play I had a shit modem and computer, bad combo. my friend would wizz past me while I was stuck in a corner.

btw, whats with having to log into the kings site. I wanted to pick up the kdx frontend again(long story), and got greeted with a login/register screen. I don't mind registering, but it's kinda a lot of info to give. I don't know, call me paranoid.

paranoia saved my ass too many times to ignore it. but thats besides the point. is there anything besides kdx that does a good job? multiple source ports, pwads, mutli player setups, blahblahblah?

VileSlay said:

paranoia saved my ass too many times to ignore it. but thats besides the point. is there anything besides kdx that does a good job? multiple source ports, pwads, mutli player setups, blahblahblah?

You must have a wrong kdx version :)