Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jaxxoon R

Sonic X-Treme Release Has Updated

Technician said:

Unless this is needed to allow us casuals to run this on our hardware, I don't see the point. It would be like finding an unreleased Doom beta and modifying it to include OpenGL rendering. It's defeating the posterity of a beta. We don't expect it to be beyond it's historical context.

It actually is needed. The program was developed for the NV1, a super-obscure, super-rare, super-expensive nVidia card from the mid-90s that used quads instead of polygons. It's simply infeasible for most people to be expected to own one, as well as an old computer to put it in.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

...looks like it's video code is almost 20 years old and only designed for few old Graphics cards and old Operating systems... which means it may not work with modern Operating systems ...

It doesn't, which is exactly why they're porting it to OpenGL/Windows 7/8. The hideous-looking screenshots on the previous page are showing the game running in OpenGl. They've just gotten polygon rendering working, and continue to port more features over.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

...We're not even sure if they're working on it,we have no absolute release date and not many informations about how will the Final build work "Except Gameplays" .

Those same ugly screenshots were posted about six days ago, consider that.

And the final build isn't here, the final build isn't anywhere. There is no final build. The game was axed long before it even exited early alpha, the closest thing we'll get is Project AXSX.

Jaxxoon R said:

And the final build isn't here, the final build isn't anywhere. There is no final build. The game was axed long before it even exited early alpha, the closest thing we'll get is Project AXSX.

So they're basically throwing development contents for Fans to re-create it or do anything else with them ,Right ?...

Yeah, they'll be releasing compiled Saturn and Modern Windows (and NV1?) binaries along with the assets. However, other people can go ahead and make and distribute disassemblies if they wish. There's already a really great re-creation in the works by one of the guys working on releasing the builds, he's had to take a few liberties for the sake of creating a fun game, but what he's got going is pretty damn rad.

Also, this happened sometime last night

Andrew75 on Sonic Retro said:

Updates on windows 8.1 port of the NV1 engine by Jollyroger !
Here we have textures, but lacks effects like fog, no perspective correction, no transparency, improper UVs and no proper lighting system.

and UV progress update:

EDIT:
Skype Quote:

the game engine supports two types of texture formats.
both are PCX.
one is an 8 bit indexed, palettized mode.
the other is a 16 bit RGB mode.
in both cases, when I load the PCX into the engine, in order to draw those images with OpenGL I have to convert them into 24 bit RGB.
I have already written the code that reads the 8 bit palettized PCX images and converts them into 24 bit RGB OpenGL textures in memory.
but I have not written the code that converts the 16 bit images into 24 bit.
I don't want to convert all the files into 24 bit.
I want to leave them as they are.

EDIT: The level is also missing some textures because JR has not converted to the 24bit textures yet. (So They are not loadable at this point.)
A little more in depth explanation. The textures are converted on the fly via code. At this point in time He has done the conversion of the 8 bit textures. But not the 16 to24 bit ones. It'll be a simple mater for Master coder JR to handle.
This post is being updated on the fly as info comes in.... (update to show how fast this is going.)

EDIT
16 to 24 bit function functional while posting the above!

Transparency and distance Level fade out has been started.

Which ones? The broken ones? Because they should actually look like this. Do you mean the trippy tie-dye ones from the remake? Because personally I find those quite pretty.

GoatLord said:

I remember trying to play Sonic Adventure and, years later, finding Sonic Generations to much more accessible.

Oh no, I wasn't trying to imply that Sonic Adventure was good. The end product was definitely pretty lackluster. I just think it had more potential to be good than X-Treme. At least with Sonic's gameplay, I think Sonic Team had the right ideas, they just weren't executed that well. If STI had been working together with Sonic Team like they did with Sonic 2 and 3&K, and spent more time developing and polishing it, it would have been a much better game.

Andrew75 on Retro said:

Updates for well Some of the Rendering features. The cursor, blending, and line drawing now all work.

He is trying to reproduce as closely as possible the NV1 behavior for textures, palettes, blending, sprites, polygons, alphas.
Its a lot of work, and may take some time to get it to where he wants it to be.
[/B]

Dude on Retro said:

This guy is a machine. Goodness gracious.

Indeed !

My personal thoughts.... This editor looks so bad ass !

Andrew75 on Retro said:

First footage of the Sonic X-treme level editor ported to modern Windows. ( Still WIP)
I don't have the words to express my feelings on the matter.

Anyways, Please Enjoy the video folks, I'm sure it took JR a lot of time and effort to get this far.

I've seen this level before at SXC Website ,wonder if it's the 2nd Act of jade gully

I do not have a video capture device, so I cannot capture a video of it (yet), but below you can see a picture I took of the POV Xtreme tech demo running on my Cartdev/Mirage.

It clearly shows that, while it was nowhere near a playable game, as a tech demo it definitely shows POV would have been more than capable of producing a reasonable version of Sonic Xtreme for Saturn, if they had enough time...

Enjoy...

Jolly

Jaxoon ,you stole my idea :P anyways i recorded this video yesterday and i was about to post it at same day but ..

The funny thing is, as I played this I was constantly thinking "Damn, if only I could see more to the left and the right as I was running."

And then I realized that the fisheye was the solution.

And now I have an idea, what if there was a platformer game that let you change the "camera lens" on the fly?

Yeah, v38 has Fisheye (or was it v40 ?) Btw i decided to port levels leaked from PackageX to the Current version after i understood how the engine loads a level "Very easy", i already Ported JADE1 and JG07,Although they didn't really work as i expected but who cares since the Whole game is still incomplete >_< ,I Will upload them once i'm done ...

Jaxxoon R said:

The funny thing is, as I played this I was constantly thinking "Damn, if only I could see more to the left and the right as I was running."

And then I realized that the fisheye was the solution.

And now I have an idea, what if there was a platformer game that let you change the "camera lens" on the fly?

Some games.... sega and racing games do the fish eye thing to get a sense of speed.

@DMGUYDZ64: Ha-ha! Hey, sounds damn radical to me. Maybe you should contact Andrew75 when you're finished, I'm sure he'd be more than pleased to see the result.

@geo: Naw man, I meant as a sort selection of alternative view options. For example, just press in the right analogue stick to switch from standard, to fisheye, to wide angle, to ultra-wide.

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=34038&view=findpost&p=818855

Andrew75 on Retro:
Engine Ver. 037 Release 2:
Jolly was hard at work it seems.... Sooooo....
•Fixed palette management
•Initial implementation of scrolling backgrounds (no quadratic distortion)
•Fixed foreground objects transparency issues. (For when Sonic moves behind objects like rocks)
•Gamepad Support Added
•Windowed mode EXE added

Mega
Anonfiles
Hugefiles
Mediafire

Enjoy guys !

Also if anyone could report back their key configs for gamepads like ps4 , USB Saturn, ect. That would be great !

Loved it :o,i already had few problems with Screen Resolution (Windowed EXE should Help me out) oh What? Joystick support ? Pretty cool .

I'm surprised Sega hasn't stepped in. They;re the same people who think Let's Plays hurt their income. And we know Sega keeps an eye on Retro.

Retro releases prototypes all the time, and Sega has no dibs nor a reason to flip on these builds considering they were all done by third parties for failed projects Sega never even saw so much as a penny for.

And it's the Western branches of Sega that would keep an eye on Retro. Sega of Japan, the one pulling all that shit, could give two flying fucks what some American website is up to.

Jaxxoon R said:

And it's the Western branches of Sega that would keep an eye on Retro. Sega of Japan, the one pulling all that shit, could give two flying fucks what some American website is up to.

inb4 C&D

Jaxxoon R said:

Retro releases prototypes all the time, and Sega has no dibs nor a reason to flip on these builds considering they were all done by third parties for failed projects Sega never even saw so much as a penny for.

*cough*Streets Of Rage Remake*cough*

That was basically distributing 3 officially released games for free, of course that'd happen. It was also for an shelved IP Sega gives little fuck about, especially so what the fans of it think.

This is a long-dead Sanic game, with these builds belonging to a third-party company that is no longer in existence.

So Fisheye build was released ..

K guys !
2 new simultaneous releases for Engine v040! The First Release is for the PC. And YES SEGA SATURN TOO!!!! (Again lets thank JollyRoger for his hard work)
Both releases Support Fisheye ! YES I said it Fisheye and SEGA SATURN together! Did I say Fisheye with good FPS! ? !
The PC release generally looks better with more frames of animation for Sonic, enemies and the rings.
The PC ver Also sports higher res with better color than the Saturn version which looks a bit washed out,
but that is to be expected. Improvements for both 040 versions are planned including frame rate improvements and more frames of animation for sprites like rings for the Saturn build among too many other improvement to list.

Here is the video for 040 running on Sega Saturn!

The video shows the engine essentially unmodified from the way it was found.
As you can see, this is a very early build of the Saturn version. The v40 engine is very different from v37: many features had been removed or simplified to streamline portions of the code and data structures to increase the performance, so that it could run on Saturn at an acceptable speed.

The engine was clearly in the middle of heavy refactoring and basic functionality such as player control and collisions were disabled. The code for those features had not been ported to use the new data structures and functions, and was completely commented out, so it had to be partially rewritten/ported.

The engine was also prone to constantly crashing due to several bugs, so the code has been altered further, but only to make it more stable, no other changes were made to its appearance or functionality.

The level displayed is a test level that was used to debug the engine, and it is the only level that was found with this particular version of the engine. The engine only loads and displays one animation frame every eight, this explains the mostly non-existent animation.

PC Engine Ver. 040 Release 001:SEGA SATURN Engine Ver. 040 Release 001:I used ImgBurn for burning the iso.
If attempting the swap trick or installing a Mod chip , please be careful not to bust your Saturn, all parties involved with this release are not to be held accountable.

Differences are noticeable ..