Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
slowtorturepukechamber

Favorite Doom Sound?

DoomGuy2013 said:

The Plasma Gun has a really cool sound.

Plasma is one of my least favs! D: Tooooo loud but in a way that it just drowns out all other sound...not to mention the clipping...

One of my favs has to be the Caco death C:

I've always liked the way the chaingunner's weapon sound was actually the shotgun sound when fired.

I'm partial to the firebomb sound of the pain elemental dying, especially with the phasing lost soul screech that follows it, both in doom 2 and PSX.

All of Doom's weapon sounds are really well done and kind of a testament to Bobby Prince's talent. And they aren't just picked out of sound libraries, either - I found it really interesting that when perkristian redid Doom's sounds in high quality he found that there were a bunch of different sounds mixed together. There was obviously quite a bit of work put into them. Lots of the sounds have extra explosion sounds mixed into them to give them more of a satisfying "boom!".

I actually think that when it comes to FPSes, the weapon sounds are an element that's really important to get right - more important than most people realise. When you think about it, they're something you hear over and over again, and part of that feedback loop that makes the game fun to play: press button, hear loud satisfying "boom", watch monster drop dead, repeat.

Id's FPSes after Bobby Prince left never had weapons sounds that were as satisfying as Doom's. For a few examples, compare Doom's shotgun with Quake's shotgun, Doom's chaingun vs Doom 3's chaingun, or Doom 2's super shotgun vs. Quake 3's shotgun. The sound effects in Doom 3 in particular were really hollow and disappointing, to the extent that I really wonder if the game would have been a lot more fun if it had decent sounds. Interestingly this is one thing that Valve really got right in the Half Life series.

The fucked up and soul ripping chainsaw cry of a Baron still creeps me out. The quick door sound followed by Vile activation or the massive thuds of Cyber's hooves - panic attack.

Shadow Hog said:

I've always been fairly fascinated with whatever effect they did to get the Baron of Hell's DeathSound. Something just seems inherently unnatural about it, and I could never place my finger on it.

The Baron's death sound always reminded me of an angry bear waking up from it's sleep after getting an object thrown at it. It's hilarious, but it's out of place to me. It sounds more appropriate to me when the sound is reversed in Audacity, as it sounds more like a giant goat-legged beast crying in agony as it crumbles to it's gruesome death.

I almost forgot, I've always thought that the Barron of Hell's roar mixed with the Hell Knight's roar sounds pretty badass.

This video @6:27 is exactly what I'm talking about :

Can't go wrong with the weapon pickup cocking sound, even moreso with the N64/PSX version.

fraggle said:

Id's FPSes after Bobby Prince left never had weapons sounds that were as satisfying as Doom's. For a few examples, compare Doom's shotgun with Quake's shotgun, Doom's chaingun vs Doom 3's chaingun, or Doom 2's super shotgun vs. Quake 3's shotgun.

I can see your point, but your examples seem rather weird to me.

People usually consider Doom's pistol sound rather wimpy and consequently don't like the chaingun very much. On the other hand, Doom 3's chaingun is pretty much the only firearm in that game that doesn't suck sound-wise.

Quake 3 has good weapon sounds, the shotgun is no exception. It also should be noted that Quake 3's shotgun = regular shotgun rather than super shotgun, despite the appearance.

Quake 1's weak shotgun sound can be explained with the fact that this weapon is the equivalent of pistol - relatively fast and relatively weak medium range weapon available from the start of the game. It actually feels more powerful than the Doom's pistol, and stays useful even with the super shotgun available, although the sound has nothing to do with it.

Da Werecat said:

Quake 3 has good weapon sounds, the shotgun is no exception. It also should be noted that Quake 3's shotgun = regular shotgun rather than super shotgun, despite the appearance.

Quake 3's Plasma Rifle has a sweet firing sound also, much better than Doom's Plasma Rifle firing sound I would say.

The BOOM of the double barreled shotgun followed by the CLICK-CLICK-CLICK is one of the reasons I love Doom so much. Never gets old, never fails to satisfy. The sound of an arachnotron's brain imploding as it shuts down and dies is just the icing on the cake. Glorious.

Doom has a ton of cool sounds.

Mine is the death shriek your player makes when he's killed. The normal one, not the "second scream".

Fun fact: Rammstein sampled Doomguy's scream in the song "Wollt ihr das bett in flammen seven" along with the sound heard when you pick up a shotgun. Check it out.

And just a random question...anybody else ever think that the designers made a mistake with the commandos gun sound? I think they meant to make their chaingun sound like a bunch of pistol firing (as it sounds when you use it) but accidentally loaded the shotgun sound instead. Granted, I prefer the shotgun sound for the chaingun, but I always imagined there was some kind of fuck up with that.

That was not actually a fuck-up. They wanted the commando to be a badass zombie enemy so they made him muscled and gave him a bloody goatee. The id guys thought he sounded a lot beefier with the shotgun sound on loop after trying out both the pistol and shotgun sounds. source: Masters of Doom (I think..)

TheCupboard said:

The id guys thought he sounded a lot beefier with the shotgun sound on loop after trying out both the pistol and shotgun sounds. source: Masters of Doom (I think..)

Ah, thank you for informing me.