Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wow. A MAP01 that actually feels like a MAP01 of a larger mapset. Not too much, too soon. A simple, nicely balanced beginning map.

Interesting. I don't think I've ever seen STEP1 used as a texture on a door that size.

Feels sort of episode one doom-y.

Not that that is a bad thing. Fun little romp. Maybe the ssg is a little unnecessary, but I dunno.

Easy-ish difficulty and relatively simplistic design, but well working and flowing, enjoyable for a quick little ride. I actually like how all of your detail is "structural", that's an efficient way how to map. I liked how monsters could wander around rather freely, it didn't feel as scripted as in an average modern-day map.

SSG, Berserk and even the green armor weren't really necessary, and the step wallpaper texture would probably cause tutti-frutti bug in less advanced source ports. Nice (a little uncommon) use of lifts. Good MAP01. Keep it up!

General Rainbow Bacon said:

Added some stuff to the map including secrets, difficulty settings, and fixed a few other things.

Now there's a HOM in the left window of the central room (next to rocket launcher). Outdoor secret has maybe too much of imp's meat for such a minor threat they pose. A couple zombiemen among them might fit there better, it's slightly slow to kill all the imps compared to the rest of the map - nothing major, though, of course!

Adding new things added new problems as well.

---
Missing texture on the teleport "window".

http://i.imgur.com/QByFv80.png

---
You can run off the ramp out the other window.

http://i.imgur.com/ZiAMmgs.png

Fortunately, as long as you're not playing Vanilla, you can run across the edge of the central area and the top of the Flaming Barrel to get back into the map.

http://i.imgur.com/lHQg6i4.png

---
Suggest tagging the teleport linedef "monster-block".

http://i.imgur.com/FYKDXBG.png

---
Again, as long as you're not using Vanilla, you can SR across the tops of the Barrels and out the window to get to the secret. Since the door opened from the other side when I walked up to it, I thought that was your intent. I found the hidden door to outside later. I actually like my way better.

http://i.imgur.com/ONAXKfL.png

---
I still like it. Looking forward to the rest.

The second map oversupplied me with resources, really, there were tons of pickups from zombies and then tons of lying bullet/shell boxes and rockets. Other than that, I liked it a lot - nice layout. It wasn't difficult to play, but hitscanners managed to put a pressure at a couple times, which was good.

Your "fix" to the first map's HOM looks weird to me - the same walltexture in a window, again?

Yeah, I know. I can't think of anything else to describe an adventure spanning many places at the moment though. I'll work on it.

Aeneid?

Wow, fantastic map02, I absolutely loved it (except the part where I took a teleport and a bunch of chaingunners behind the destination almost killed me). This project looks very promising now.

Thanks Memfis. I enjoyed building it. I actually played through it myself and even though I knew where everything was, I liked playing it.

E: Hey guys. I need some textures for this wad. Mostly space/tech textures for the later levels. I also need directions on how to add stuff to animations.

E: Hey guys. I need some textures for this wad. Mostly space/tech textures for the later levels.

Doom-style texture stock on Realm667.

I also need directions on how to add stuff to animations.

Do you mean just new sprites, or new sprites AND different animation / behaviour? In the former case: http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Adding_custom_sprites In the latter case: Learn to edit DEHACKED using Whacked editor, here are some tutorials. If you don't want to learn those things, then better state what you'd want exactly, and someone might volunteer to do it for you.

I strongly associate "animations" with sprites. My misunderstanding. Nevermind.

Well, for adding custom animated flats/textures/switches, there are 3 ways to do so: Hacky vanilla way, hacky Boom way, and easy ZDoom way.

ZDoom way (ANIMDEFS text lump) is out of the game, I suppose, as you're not mapping for ZDoom.

Boom way: Download Boom Editing Utilities. Find a file DEFSWANI.DAT. Make a copy of the file (call it GRB.DAT, for example), and open it in a text editor. You'll see a list of hardcoded animated textures, flats and switches. Follow the format and feel free to add your own texture names to the list. Then call a program SWANTBLS.EXE with the .DAT file as a parameter: Type "SWANTBLS GRB" in the command line. SWANTBLS will generate 2 lumps, ANIMATED and SWITCHES. Import these into your wad, and you're done.

I'm personally comfortable with the vanilla way, which requires to edit TEXTURE1 lump directly. You need to know names of hardcoded animated textures. Some of them don't exist in Doom2.wad, so you just add them. This doesn't apply to switch textures, only animated ones. If you want more animated textures or custom switch textures, you have to edit the existing stock ones inside TEXTURE1 itself, widening the textures, adding patches etc. Also if you put more new textures between the animated texture entries, the animation will be extended, because only the first and the last frames define the animation as a whole. With flats, you can add one new animated flat SWATER1-SWATER4. You add it between FF_START and F_END markers. If you want more animated flats, you need to replace existing ones. If you want an animation with more than 4 frames, add custom flats in between the first and the last hardcoded flat names (for example between FWATER1 and FWATER4) - the principle works the same as with textures within TEXTURE1. This probably sounds confusing, I'm not good at explaining things. You can probably look it up on a wiki.

Tango said:

does ANIMDEFS not work with boom?

Boom has it's own specialized lump for animated textures called ANIMATED (also, SWITCHES, for switches). You used to have to compile it externally using SWANTBLS.exe but SLADE supports compiling and editing ANIMATED/SWITCHES lumps directly now.

I wouldn't call the Boom way hacky. Sure, you need to turn the text file into binary lumps (as opposed to importing it directly), but it's still much more elegant than in vanilla Doom.

skillsaw said:

Boom has it's own specialized lump for animated textures called ANIMATED (also, SWITCHES, for switches). You used to have to compile it externally using SWANTBLS.exe but SLADE supports compiling and editing ANIMATED/SWITCHES lumps directly now.

ah yeah that's what I was thinking, just mucked up the name. I've used that a few times though, so I had no idea there used to be another method. SLADE is awesome

this is becoming a serious project.

It really is! The new MAP03 was great.

I liked the starting canyon, nice looking and with dangers coming from many directions at the same time. Then there was a clever ambush pit trap, I've barely survived it, but it was awesome. Raising floors are uncommon, but you've used it well here. Then the worst part of the map came: Horde of pinky demons. They're the only thing spoiling the map, IMO, as they're just prolonging time and nothing else. The building's inside was okay. I liked the fact that I had to backtrack through the dangerous area again, fortunately I've cleared it beforehand. Then the caco pit. It worked greatly. I couldn't so easily balance on the pit's border because of the torches, so that I've finally jumped down and then attended an interesting twisted-staircase fight. Nice. The last chaingunner/hitscanner challenge was well done, too.

My favourite-ever map from yours, so far. Keep up the good work! :)