Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

Sesq said:

first person to make boatroom.wad gets a box of donuts

What kind of donuts? I'm down if they're good. :P

jmickle66666666 said:

oh noo its a broken image :X i'm super curious

I removed yakfak's sprites for now, mainly because it's still in development.

Please jmickle, make more mondrigan textures, they're awesome and so much fun to work with.

Also additional textures by FuzzballFox.

cool shots! thanks for reuploading. i'd love to return to the mondrigan style, especially since they were some very early textures for me and I'm sure I could do a much better job overall now :)

Been playing with portals, seems they make for very good elevators. Whole thing's still in greybox though, thinking of texturing it with something grungy and brutalist-looking once I've finished the layout and combat. The corridors weave into and around each other in a fashion I'm pretty happy with so far.

Crosspost from the other picture thread:

Title: "Orange juice" (yes, it is final)

Project it's for: Tangerine nightmare

Release: When the project releases :p

Guest Unregistered account
Jaxxoon R said:

http://i.imgur.com/9bt8tyl.png
http://i.imgur.com/njmyoNG.png
http://i.imgur.com/XU2Qkuc.jpg
Been playing with portals, seems they make for very good elevators. Whole thing's still in greybox though, thinking of texturing it with something grungy and brutalist-looking once I've finished the layout and combat. The corridors weave into and around each other in a fashion I'm pretty happy with so far.

I absolutely adore the look of that garden in the first shot! It feels like somewhere I'd like to be.

Also, this is weird, but the lighting in that first shot makes it look like a more advanced, modern, non-Doom engine to me. Huh.

That would be due to the SSAO, glowing flats, and wall color gradients GZDoom has now. What that basically means is automatic corner darkening along with something similar to Doom 64's sector lighting.

Pretty sure the slopes give it away as non-Doom more than anything.

He did say the lighting was specifically the reason for having thought that it looked modern, though. Slopes were featured in a few of other 3D First-Person games around the time, so maybe that's why it didn't immediately stand out as much.

Revae: Cool.. maybe the flame would look better if the inside of the fireplace was darkened.

Memfis: I have diagonal wood paneling on my floors...

Jaxxoon R: If the tiles weren't so misaligned looking they could fit for the indoors.

The_Trigger: Maybe the bottom area could be a little bit brighter.

New minimalistic HUD in action. Maybe I should have made it like this right away. Almost everything in the HUD is drawn with a text write/draw function. It is possible to color the text to any palette color and to display special icons not part of the font with some special codes in the text. The text write stuff apparently has a builtin leading zeros functionality, but can't darken them with that.

Guest Unregistered account

I thought the tiles were dev textures.

Jimi said:

The_Trigger: Maybe the bottom area could be a little bit brighter.

Hah, fair enough. It's not as dark as it looks though ingame. It's a little tough to see on the picture but there is a gradient on the lava flat (ala ancient aliens) so that is why I don't really want to brigten it more :)

When I was a kid, I remember playing a hacked version of Doom 1 called "Mr.Smiley's Safari". There was a website that used to have old games for download, games like Doom , Doom 2 and some more classics that everyone knows. Today I found that website again and it seems that the links are still working for Doom 1.7 and Doom 2(not sure what version) and I even found Mr.Smiley's safari doom which uses doom 1 as an IWAD. I know it's wrong but I had to download it and check it out for nostalgia, I felt like a kid again.

I just messed with slade a bit and created purple/pink pallete just for fun. I used random oblige wad as a test.

The first screenshot with crates looks like 90% of the modern Doom 2 levels I happen to see these days and wish they had more variation. The second screenshot however looks pretty cool architecturally, especially after you put that shadow.

I play a lot of modern Doom 2 levels and that shot has at least a few (creative/good) design decisions that you'd never dream of seeing in contemporary releases, not to mention an overall room structure that is kind of oldschool. Looks more like a good circa 2008 release. Atmosphere and attention to detail is quite strong. 2nd shot looks nice in a different way.

Reminds me of karthik abhiram's mapping :)

Byeblothingal 1024 said:

What the hell da ya got packaged up in all those crates? Is this where our ammunition comes from?

That's what's in one of the crates :