Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

Playing through Doom II on the GBA, I pretty much spent the entire game dreading the second half of The Chasm. No way in hell I'd be able to navigate through the level with the GBA's difficult controls and only serviceable framerate.

Oh the joy i felt when I saw this:

YEEEAHH.png

bDX2qMX.png

4EmHByR.png

Before and after.  Grass / ground textures probably going to go in favor of megatexturing the holy hell out of the grass and rock areas. For the record, the original map sucks really bad.  I'm demolishing huge swathes of this map with only the central core having anything based on the original architecture.  The old stuff is just too shitty, broken and poorly designed.  

Edited by Ed : After / Before

I found these in GZDoom screenshots folder from 2011

Spoiler

1OQZ39N.png
1FQxMiL.png

I even dont'n know what is happening here and what is this wad. Probably monsters spawned by cheats.

12 hours ago, Ed said:
Before and after. 

which is before, and which is after? :p I actually kinda like the dreary quake-esque look of the second shot more, though that may just be my overexposure to those gothbricks at this point.

28 minutes ago, Ribbiks said:

I actually kinda like the dreary quake-esque look of the second shot more

I'm on the total opposite side - I feel the first shot had much more going for it, especially fond of the 'grass gradient' and the colour scheme. :P

Either the screenshots were swapped, or this is a "tune-down" project.

I'm with Ribbiks on this, the second shot looks better. It looks like a Quake map and the texture combination plus that nice looking sky makes it superior in my opinion.

While the first shot undoubtedly has more detail, I too like the second one more.  It has that kind of desolate, dreary Quake vibe while the top one doesn't really feel like it has a distinct personality. 

44 minutes ago, Bauul said:

While the first shot undoubtedly has more detail, I too like the second one more.  It has that kind of desolate, dreary Quake vibe while the top one doesn't really feel like it has a distinct personality. 

Interesting. I really feel like the original texture scheme is painfully drab - especially spanning over an entire map.  I might play around with the color scheme to find what's going to be the best fit for the map - which is as simple as a few rounds of Find and Replace Mode.  Maybe I should just go balls-out Quake themed.

I think the quake theme in general is drab, preferring the more interesting colors of Doomier atmospheres. As such, I think the before shot was vastly superior.

17 hours ago, Ed said:
Before and after

Hate to be that guy, but I don't clearly prefer one over the other. The second shot does nail that desolate eldritch look, but I like the first shot's more colorful fantasyishish ambient too (almost reminds me of Heretic). I'd reckon it really depends on what aesthetic the whole map's going for.

I wonder if it's also that the lighting in the second one looks much more realistic.  It's lit in exactly the way you'd expect from a dreary overcast day, so the whole theme comes together well.

In the first shot though, despite it being a dark blue night, it's lit quite brightly, with white light too.  It makes it look a bit more artificial, which is why I think we're getting a stronger sense of atmosphere from the second shot.

Update the first shot with a bunch more contrast and make it a lot darker and moodier to match the sky texture and I think it'd make a world of difference.

First shot is way more appealing to me, with the gray and brown dueling each other for control of the scene, though I do prefer the lava sectors of the second one.

Only thing I'd change is the texture the Hell Knight is on. It's got very obvious tiling and stands out IMO.

1 hour ago, Ed said:

Interesting. I really feel like the original texture scheme is painfully drab - especially spanning over an entire map.  I might play around with the color scheme to find what's going to be the best fit for the map - which is as simple as a few rounds of Find and Replace Mode.  Maybe I should just go balls-out Quake themed.

You do realize that you've swapped the after screenshot with the before shot, right?

A few screens from my upcoming Plain Ol' Doom 2 project Map 20.  I'm about 3/4 done, just detailing on the last third of the map and implementing difficulty levels.  I'm very tempted to do a GZDoom version after this one with a load of haze and smoke effects to really nail that "occupied city" feel.

Spoiler

Or78yD1.png

9guWWrY.png

fZ8wZCk.png

l39Etsf.png

Y6iWF6J.png

So I took these pictures a month ago with my cellphone during my PRCP playing to show a friend of mine what I was into:

(sorry about the quality)

IMG-20170310-WA0002.png

IMG-20170310-WA0004.png

IMG-20170310-WA0006.png

2 hours ago, FuzzballFox said:

DtICQRe.png

Totally not a ripoff nope! :D

I really hope that's something you just made and not an older map, because if it's an older map that is crazy similar in style!

6 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

So I took these pictures a month ago with my cellphone during my PRCP playing to show a friend of mine what I was into:

(sorry about the quality)

IMG-20170310-WA0002.png

IMG-20170310-WA0004.png

IMG-20170310-WA0006.png

Looks like Have @ it cool map

haha yeah it looks like a fuzzy memory

7 hours ago, Bauul said:

I really hope that's something you just made and not an older map, because if it's an older map that is crazy similar in style!

Yeah I only made it last night as an experiment on that style :) Tried a couple textures by Nightmare too based on the Gothix stuff to mix it up a bit~

I know it resembles certain things but yeah that was the idea to see if I could emulate it a bit without straight off copying!

Edited by FuzzballFox