• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

Can you spot the difference?

3xnEJVIh.png

SH7Jvd5h.png

The first is Doom running at 6-bit precision per color channel (VGA card). The second is just Doom as it is supposed to appear in 8-bit precision per color channel (SVGA card). VGA cards were capable of reproducing less colors than graphics cards that used later standards. 

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/PLAYPAL#Technical_limitations

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=38713 

Still working hard on Chapter 2 of Blade of Agony to improve the performance and gameplay, and to compensate the delayed release:

Ha1hHr5.png

23 minutes ago, printz said:

I'm working on my new map editor for macOS.

The feature that motivates me to finish it? Map view rotation — which doesn't also rotate the grid. This means that you can draw structures without being aligned to the same old grid.

This screenshot doesn't show the benefits of it, since the map has been built with already existing editors, and my work-in-progress editor can't edit much right now. But it's an opportunity to show my Doom map anyway.

That's a great feature, and one I'm somewhat surprised hasn't turned up in other editors yet.

I assume and/or hope you're supporting UDMF's higher vertex precision, as working on rotated scenes without a rotated grid would be very awkward without it.

2 hours ago, esselfortium said:

I assume and/or hope you're supporting UDMF's higher vertex precision, as working on rotated scenes without a rotated grid would be very awkward without it.

In the vanilla Doom format, it still picks the map point closest to the grid point. Hopefully the irregularities will only be noticed in Doom if you look carefully.

3 hours ago, printz said:

I'm working on my new map editor for macOS.

The feature that motivates me to finish it? Map view rotation — which doesn't also rotate the grid. This means that you can draw structures without being aligned to the same old grid.

One of the reasons I still use DoomBuilder 1 is the arbitrary degree rotate geometry feature before it was neutered.

App name idea for your editor: Slimetrail.

Oh are we doing piano keyboards now?

Deus Vult II map21:

8KBduBq.png

Community Chest 3 map14:

bCE31je.png

Bonus WTF from same:

epkvzdu.png

@rdwpa (below) hahaha, that's hilarious, thank you :)

Edited by RjY

They have the right idea, but I think they took it too far. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Prepuce

The Holy Prepuce, or Holy Foreskin (Latin præputium or prepucium) is one of several relics attributed to Jesus, a product of the circumcision of Jesus.

At various points in history, a number of churches in Europe have claimed to possess Jesus' foreskin, sometimes at the same time. Various miraculous powers have been ascribed to it.

14 hours ago, Afterglow said:

App name idea for your editor: Slimetrail.

I'm wondering if you're just being nice and suggesting a name (don't worry, I've got that settled) or alluding to the multitude of slime trails caused by making lots of angled areas for vanilla Doom — especially when those angles aren't precise at the map-unit level. In that case, I just don't care… Let there be slime trails! Now I wonder if GZDoom rebuilds nodes to kill them off — usual stuff that GZDoom does is good here :P

I love 3d bridges on Vanilla. (screen from HR2 map 19)

Screenshot_Doom_20170521_165136.png

45 minutes ago, Roofi said:

I love 3d bridges on Vanilla. (screen from HR2 map 19)

This one is especially impressive for its high number of layers/levels. More than one above the ground is rare, two I'd never seen outside an Iikka Keränen* map, but here we have four.

________

* thanks to the Doom wiki for a source from which to copypaste the spelling.

2 hours ago, RjY said:

This one is especially impressive for its high number of layers/levels. More than one above the ground is rare, two I'd never seen outside an Iikka Keränen* map, but here we have four.

Since these bridges all lack "middle railings" and self-referencing linedefs can freely overlap each other, this kind of overlapping bridges could be made without a multitude of sectors, which probably made the feat not only possible, but relatively easy to make.

Guest Unregistered account

I'm hoping (although given my age and programming experience, it's a pipe dream) to make a horror (kinda) game at some point in the near future. 320x200, capped framerate (optional), low colour, etc. SO ORIGINAL!

It revolves around the concept of emotions (interacting with or even looking at certain things will alter the player's feelings, so getting pummelled by enemies will increase their anger, gradually upping a red glare at the corners of the screen and having some effect on attacking power, seeing dead things will increase unease and leave a green tinge to the screen temporarily, and so on.)

The game will feature a polygonal art style with no animation interp (like Quake). It's much scarier to only see the jagged, sharp outline of a thing when it's jerking around at 5 frames per second. Also, monster teeth look terrifying when they're only made of four faces.

Factor in the visibility of 320x200, and I could make this work... if I make it unique enough, and actually a good game.

So, to test it out, and for fun, I made some 64x64 textures and loaded them up in Doom!

2r6I2BE.png

lU4Gvbc.png

And a shot with full brightness so you can actually see the textures.

wiGHlfu.png

EDIT: flats are in the making.

The idea reminds me of Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. You can freak out from looking at scary things, and even go insane if you stare for too long, AFAIK.

Guest Unregistered account

Just like in real life, eh?

The idea in my theoretical game is that the system can be helpful or hindering - so anger is makes your attacks wilder and less accurate, and you become more vulnerable, but your move faster and deal more damage. Unease (green) is just a hinderance. Haven't decided how. Happiness (yellow/white) basically acts as a power up and sadness (blue) is the only thing that can kill you.

There'll probably be more, but this is all brainstorming. The game probably won't even get made.

4 hours ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

Delaweare based on zdoom engine. I love visuals so much here. 

Screenshot_Delaweare_20170519_211931.png

Getting Virtual Boy flashbacks here...

4 minutes ago, Ichor said:

Getting Virtual Boy flashbacks here...

It looks cool,I quickly checked. This red effect didn't last long,like invulnerable sphere's effect. 

On 5/20/2017 at 6:41 PM, Afterglow said:

One of the reasons I still use DoomBuilder 1 is the arbitrary degree rotate geometry feature before it was neutered.

You can input arbitrary rotation values in the Edit Selection side tab. Is there something else missing?

On 5/21/2017 at 3:31 AM, RjY said:

Oh are we doing piano keyboards now?

Deus Vult II map21:

8KBduBq.png

Community Chest 3 map14:

bCE31je.png

Bonus WTF from same:

epkvzdu.png

@rdwpa (below) hahaha, that's hilarious, thank you :)

Holy Bible and Unholy Penis.

Yeah... that was bad.

That green and white texture is disgusting. Please continue using it without a hint of irony.