Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

2 hours ago, Breezeep said:

hello HDoom

1 hour ago, NeedHealth said:

Femdoom

Cybie 2

Spoiler
On 6/21/2017 at 9:26 PM, Dragonfly said:

@Xyzzy01 is going to make a map for Skulldash, and suggested doing it in wireframe textures similar to the hub map from the recently released Confinement 256.

ah8yIwE.pngnmfreld.png

Hmmm....

Sorry for double post

3 hours ago, Ryathaen said:

etrn68.png.220049447504adaceb5b6a0765566dee.png

Sneak peek at a cool little thing that should see the light of day in less than a week.

What is it with the blue in Doom (and Wolf3D) that just looks so damn amazing? It's just so ... blue!

55 minutes ago, cyan0s1s said:

What is it with the blue in Doom (and Wolf3D) that just looks so damn amazing? It's just so ... blue!

It's pure blue, as in it literally does not use the red or green color components on the monitor at all (except in order to fade to white on the upper shades).

46 minutes ago, Avoozl said:

Looks more purple-blue to me, and I love that colour.

You must have a very badly calibrated monitor, in that case.

57 minutes ago, Blastfrog said:

You must have a very badly calibrated monitor, in that case.

It reads as a bit purple to me too -- if the palette isn't changed, then probably just an illusion created by the other colors in the shot.

@Ryathaen, where do those iron textures in the bridge-like structure come from? They look really nice.

This crap reminds me of that stupid dress that took the world by storm - "Is it blue and black or white and gold"?
Didn't matter what you thought you saw, the COLOURS OF THE PHOTO in RGB determine that it is definitely blue and gold in that photo, when unedited, regardless of what it may actually be.

Anyways, I extracted the blues from the sky in the screenshot:

Without white borders:

759f44384167b69f70b859d297fc57d8.png

With White borders:

b25ad2319348e6c4529b8fe49d1eb160.png

The above blue colour pallette uses the following RGB colours:

R:0 G:0 B:180

R:0 G:0 B:156

R:0 G:0 B:130

R:0 G:0 B:108

R:0 G:0 B:84

R:0 G:0 B:71

R:0 G:0 B:58

R:0 G:0 B:45

R:0 G:0 B:16

R:0 G:0 B:0 (Black)

Note how none of them have any presence of red in them.

Discussion over. :)

I think I am starting to see the problem, the tilt of my monitor was making it look a tiny bit purplish.

7 hours ago, an_mutt said:

BDoomSM

EDIT: while I'm actually here I might as well post some progress of a map and prove that I am indeed still Doing Things™.

nvMVUYL.png

csqL6zX.png

knuV7Fg.png

I get a Plutonia vibe from these screenshots. they look really cool.

6 hours ago, rdwpa said:

@Cell, classic Doom would look like this imo

Hide contents

qceuTRK.png?1

Do you mean the display being pixelated or the area made alot spacious or both?

@Dragonfly: this is when you're speaking about the "absolute blue" (shade 160 in the MSPaint values) defined in the virtual RGB palette. Regular people often tend to define "blue" at about shade 140-150, which is a blue that is slightly greenish. But of course I'm not a regular person either - I admit I'm still reluctant to accept yellow being a primary color instead of green.

Edited by Cell

It depends on the format you're looking at as to what constitutes a primary colour. On screens, or other light based displays, RGB are the primary colours. When working with printed materials or paints it's Cyan, Magenta, Yellow (and black) which are used as primary colours.

I was talking about the "paint artist view"/"real life convention standard view" or how shall I put that stupid thingy where red, yellow and blue are considered as primary colors.

It is unambiguously pure blue, it "physically" is on the RGB colorspace and it looks like it, too. People's monitors and/or eyes must need calibration or something. :P

5 hours ago, Cell said:

I was talking about the "paint artist view"/"real life convention standard view" or how shall I put that stupid thingy where red, yellow and blue are considered as primary colors.

That is some absolute fucking bullshit they need to stop peddling in classrooms, at least as far as understanding subtractive color is concerned (color wheels and such are a whole different matter). You don't get a very good range at all doing that, due to the way subtractive color works, it turns out muddy and brown when attempting anything but the simplest combinations possible.

Edited by Blastfrog

5 hours ago, Cell said:

I believe it's down to the difference between additive colors and subtractive colors. 

Additive is combining colored light, which is how monitors work. Take a subpixel emitting red light, add a subpixel emitting green light next to it, and the resulting combined light is yellow.

In paint, it works the opposite way. Red paint absorbs all light other than red (which it reflects). If you took paint that absorbed everything but red light and mixed in paint that absorbed everything but green light, the result would be a paint that absorbed everything but brown light. Not yellow at all.

However, if you mixed paint that was red and paint that was yellow, you get green.

So paint and monitors necessarily have different primary colors due to the way they work. One isn't more valid than the other, it's simply that red/yellow/blue has been in use for thousands of years (ever since they invented dyes) but red/green/blue has only really been useful in a widespread way since the development of TV and computer screens.

9 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

This crap reminds me of that stupid dress that took the world by storm - "Is it blue and black or white and gold"?
Didn't matter what you thought you saw, the COLOURS OF THE PHOTO in RGB determine that it is definitely blue and gold in that photo, when unedited, regardless of what it may actually be.

In fairness, the argument over the dress wasn't anything to do with what color the pixels were, it was down to what color people's brains interpreted them.

There's a weird feature we have called color constancy where our brains attempt to automatically counter the effect of any colored light upon a scene. It shows us what it thinks the color would be if it was under neutral light. What pixel color is and what our brains receive can be two entirely different things. 

A much better example is this photo:

C5piDuZUwAEZl00?format=jpg

This photo has zero red pixels in. But our brains automatically attempt to counteract what it perceives as blue light and displays the strawberries as red to us.

In other words, we don't "see" raw visual data at all. We get a highly processed version - our brains run all kinds of filters and post processing effects on the visual data before it reaches our consciousness. So it's not surprise at all that people see things differently.

The debate over colours is getting offtopic a bit, so here I am to seek for advice again.
pfvl2jxa8411pchzg.jpg
Classic map, blocky setup of SLADWALL and BROWN96 meeting. My question is:
To SUPPORT2 or not to SUPPORT2?

Spoiler

I know it's ironic, since it's a pictures thread rather than one for seekers of design advices, and I already blabbered about going offtopic in the introduction. Forgive my stupid nonsense. I SWEAR next time I won't be lazy finding a design choices-related thread instead. BUT NOW AH NEED YOUR ADVICE!! >.<

23 hours ago, Ryathaen said:

Sneak peek at a cool little thing that should see the light of day in less than a week.

Where were you when Mutiny was in progress >:(

2 hours ago, Cell said:

The debate over colours is getting offtopic a bit, so here I am to seek for advice again.
pfvl2jxa8411pchzg.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

I know it's ironic, since it's a pictures thread rather than one for seekers of design advices, and I already blabbered about going offtopic in the introduction. Forgive my stupid nonsense. I SWEAR next time I won't be lazy finding a design choices-related thread instead. BUT NOW AH NEED YOUR ADVICE!! >.<

I use SUPPORT3 a lot for things like that (offset 0 for a 24-unit-wide strip, or offset 24 for a 16-unit-wide strip), but then again, I rarely use SLADWALL or BROWN96, not that there's anything wrong with that: your screenshot looks good, like old-school Doom 1.

Messing around with a jungle type theme.  It's surprising how you can get something half decent by just spamming sprites everywhere. :)

jOnSFeE.png

20 hours ago, Not Jabba said:

@Ryathaen, where do those iron textures in the bridge-like structure come from? They look really nice.

It would spoil part of the surprise to say, but you'll find out as soon as the WAD's ready.

3 hours ago, 40oz said:

Where were you when Mutiny was in progress >:(

Asleep, probably. I spend approximately 94% of my life asleep.

3 hours ago, Cell said:

pfvl2jxa8411pchzg.jpg

Hide contents

I don't think support textures are necessary for that sort of design (since the angles of the walls there denote separate structures where the texture changes), so I'd only add them if you specifically want some silver on the edges as added visual contrast. Maybe they'd go well with the silver door? But I'd probably go without, if it were me!

5 hours ago, Bauul said:

Messing around with a jungle type theme.  It's surprising how you can get something half decent by just spamming sprites everywhere. :)

jOnSFeE.png

Needs more velociraptors.

5 hours ago, Bauul said:

never knew you could see that far in turok

16 minutes ago, roadworx said:

never knew you could see that far in turok

You can with NightDive's remaster! ;)

I was playing a random WAD and couldn't help but make this picture. It's a bit of inside joke, for those who are into Jordan Peterson's lectures.

J0jDZdx.png

Work continues on my map for the Standard E1 CP; layout getting very close. Detailing still a long way off in many areas.

VHoshpa.png

Little sector furniture exit sign and Frankenstein'd brown/blue bricks. Still got a lot of other texture alignment/detailing/etc. to do. Back wall will prolly change.

jIulEJR.png

What to do and where to do it from... heh.

3g0OQnN.png

@Bauul looks fantastic! I thought models were used initially! Good 'morning fog' type appearance, too. :)

@Fonze The angles in the editor shot are pretty mental. Almost all of my maps use 90 or 45 degree angles because they're reasier, heh. Kudos! :)

I'm learning how to use wireframe and Ancient Aliens textures. I fall in love with them. 

NR2QXZ8.png