Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

6 hours ago, Kapanyo said:

BTW, does anyone know of a way to disable the aliasing for low-resolutions? I'd prefer to play with a pixelated screen.

Do you mean the aliasing or the anti-aliasing?  Because it looks pretty aliased to me!

Make sure you have Multisampling and FXAA Quality both set to off in the OpenGL options - they're both full-screen anti-aliasing features that will blur jagged lines.

The Texture Filtering that Scifista mentioned is specifically for the textures, it won't help with the jagged lines.

Guest Unregistered account

Thanks guys, but I've come to the conclusion that it's my laptop, not GZDoom. The same thing happens with other low-res games. I can't currently find a way to fix it, even looking under Graphics options for my Intel 3000, that doesn't involve downloading stuff or messing around with the cmd. Oh well.

Sorry for flooding this thread, guys!

Here's more shots from the forest area. Still no trees, of course:

k4Zmknt.png

NFjVrgj.png

KTR39p2.png

sdAtCY9.png

5x6qxZ8.png

yeah i guess there's a ton of moisture in the air in this forest

I also tried making some textures for this area, to match the music - but turns out making textures that aren't fleshy mouth things is actually really hard! These Doom ones fit the scene too well. I guess I'll just try to imitate them when I try again.

I like what I see, but I have one complaint - the caves are far, far too flat. I see in the last slot you made an archway, so if you're using slopes, use a lot of slopes! ;)

In particular, use vertex slopes, some amazing results can be achieved. I have a quick demo wad for you on vertex slopes, although it's not had much time and effort put into it. To make vertex slopes, your sloped sectors MUST be triangular, as demonstrated in this wad:

http://joshuaosullivan.co.uk/misc-doom/vertex-slopes.wad

Below is an image of the demo wad for you. :)

22362a6ad0d0511315625928a892fb9f.png

8d62f5f7a6e1e49f853ffcd2d59a5ac4.png

Holy bloody - wow, thanks! Yeah, I was gonna elaborate the caves at a later date. The vertex slope feature is news to me - that'll come in much handier than fiddling around with linedef actions.

@Dragonfly Could you possibly explain what vertex slopes are? I'm doing a cave level for my wad next, and I'd love to have a cave that looks as awesome as that.

Okay so vertex slopes are exactly as the name describes - slopes controlled by the vertex.

If you have had any experience in 3D modelling you'll know everything is done with triangles, the same concept applies here, so by drawing a series of triangular sectors, you've greated a 'mesh' of sorts where you can control the heights of each vertex, which in many ways is the same as 3D modelling.

I assume you're editing in GZDoom Builder. Now, see the images below:

e510bb233830dba9c61cc10ba22c5a62.png 77457aca3c384a771d091ca7c14be090.png

So you've set up your grid of triangular sectors, opened the 3D editor mode andwait... What's this? Some weird blue handles have appeared! These handles are what control vertex slopes. You can select them with left mouse click, and using the mousewheel you can control their vertical height. In addition to this you can select multiple vertex slope handles and control them at the same time - See demonstration below.

6a60196bba919ed3a0696149adc42053.gif

As you can see the whole effect is easy to use! It can become difficult when you're trying to draw additional geometry above, such as bridges or ceiling lights etc, but that's all part of the fun of mapping.

As awesome as these slopes are, try to be careful with them - they greatly increase the sector count and subsequently with millions of them will make the game lag pretty bad. In addition to this, floor slopes can be awful, as it makes the movement for the player become bumpy and/or slippery, making the gameplay take a negative hit.

If you can't see the vertex slope handlers, try pressing tab while in 3D mode. :)

Edited by Dragonfly

Thanks so much for the detailed example and tutorial! I can see there's a lot of GZDoom stuff to catch up on. <w<

Few extra things to add: by default those blue triangles don't appear in GZDB, you need to turn them on. I believe the shortcut is Alt-V.

Also, if there are areas they don't appear but you thought they would, it's because the sector has more than three sides. Make sure when you begin creating your triangular sectors you do it logically. Don't just start drawing random lines everywhere as it can become a game of chasing your own tail to limit everything to three sides without ending up with a million tiny sectors.

Finally, try to keep the slops relatively flat if you're using any kind of detailed texture. The greater the angle the more the texture warps. You can use "texture scaling" in the sector options (maybe UDMF only) to manually adjust, but you have to adjust the angle if the slope isn't orthagnle and it can be a bit tricky to get right. So using plainer, low detail textures (like mud, or simple dirt) makes this much less work, as the player won't notice if the texture isn't aligned properly.

Thanks Bauul - I got to grips with it fairly quickly, but it would've helped all the same if I saw your comment first x3

Actually, the only real snag I hit at first was the format. I was using Hexen format initially, and just discovered that UDMF was the one with the feature. Now I understand why everyone's crazy about it! Guess I'll be using it from now on?

As for the texture warping - yeah, I assumed that would be a problem, simply because normal slopes also suffer from it.

Although I could've sworn I've seen maps where the textures are magically the perfect dimensions despite being on a massive incline? Eh, whatevs. Thanks so much for reaching me this new mapping art!

Thanks to all the helpful info lately learned quite a few advanced DB techniques such as 3D floors and vertex slopes, I will have to eventually make a full map.

Just now, Avoozl said:

Thanks to all the helpful info lately learned quite a few advanced DB techniques such as 3D floors and vertex slopes, I will have to eventually make a full map.

Go for it! C;

I'd love to see it if you post in-dev pics here.

6 hours ago, Kapanyo said:

Sorry for flooding this thread, guys!

Here's more shots from the forest area. Still no trees, of course:

k4Zmknt.png

Curiously, your first screen reminds me "The Maze Runner" movie.

Le-Labyrinthe-critique-film-Wes-Ball.jpg

3 hours ago, Kapanyo said:

Although I could've sworn I've seen maps where the textures are magically the perfect dimensions despite being on a massive incline?

You can use the autoalign feature on floors and ceilings in UDMF when editing via GZDoom Builder. [A] to auoalign, [Shift + A] to auto-scale and align. I warn you though, floor alignment can be pretty screwy and hard work, so my suggestion to you is to FINISH THE ENTIRE ROOM / AREA first before faffing with alignment. :)

Edited by Dragonfly

Dragonfly saves me again! Lemme go grab the ZDoom Wiki, I've got a lot of studying to do~

1 hour ago, Eradrop said:

Screenshot_Doom_20170603_195036.png

Love the way the temple's silhouette looms ominously against the moon. Striking stuff. I expect it'd be even cooler to walk up to it!

Maybe it's weird how the sky is so bright and yet everything is rather dark? The moon kinda steals your attention too much.

36 minutes ago, Memfis said:

Maybe it's weird how the sky is so bright and yet everything is rather dark? The moon kinda steals your attention too much.

Of course everything seems dark, because if the moon infront of you, you see the shadows of things.

18 minutes ago, stru said:

FeelsGoodMan 

Also, we have:

Taking a Berserk with 1 health

On the other hand, we have:

1. Taking a Soulsphere with 99 health feels so bad!

2. Accidentally taking an Armor with 99 MegaArmor feels so bad!

I wonder someone would make a map that stacks 199 Health Bonus and 200 Armor Bonus together in order to make a fake Megasphere (of course I know the absorption rate is only Armor, not MegaArmor).

2 hours ago, stru said:

LeHpKKW.jpg

FeelsGoodMan 

You're doing what I did when I started off. I just threw stuff together and messed around, learning stuff. Keep trying if its something you really wanna do, because mapping for me is so fun!

8 minutes ago, Phade102 said:

You're doing what I did when I started off. I just threw stuff together and messed around, learning stuff. Keep trying if its something you really wanna do, because mapping for me is so fun!

He is reffering to the fact that he has 1% health left and he found a Megasphere...

38 minutes ago, Crunchynut44 said:

He is reffering to the fact that he has 1% health left and he found a Megasphere...

...I knew that.

After spending so long wandering tall hedge mazes coated in mist and cast in cold, bluish colours, I've noticed that, subliminally, my face feels almost like it's cold, but it's actually not... similarly to the effect you get when you're ill sometimes, where you think you're cold but touching your forehead reveals that you're actually hot.

Maybe making this thing is making me ill? Could it be an omen?! Am I going mad from wandering these worlds?

Anywho, have some more shots of the previous area.

lTb4ALz.png

IrwFPCv.png

kr1baZQ.png

bEUqNLx.png

3qwzO34.png

HNVH78F.png

67xQCUp.png

If you're wondering why there's so many, it's just because I'm trying to show off all the angles of each area.

h5huYp1.png

XrWRkbR.png

0cN85VZ.png

Gtj6VK7.png

BTW I know that my posts here have been straying further and further away from what qualifies as Doom, but does anyone know of any free or low-price modelling software that would be suited to making low-poly Quake-style models? I'm dabbling with Blender, but from what I've done with it so far it seems more suited to creating high-quality, high-poly models.

EDIT: nvm, just found this awesome page =D

amazing what a google search can do

You know, it may sound weird Kapanyo, but your map reminds me of the hedge maze for the 4th harry potter movie.

OML I was thinking of that without even realising it!