Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

joe-ilya said:

Old:
[image]
New:
[image]

Now you're redoing your old maps? Anyways, looks nice so far.

BaronOfStuff: the fullbright rooms look too bright. But I like the 1994 aspect of those screenshots nonetheless :)

mrthejoshmon said:

Does this demonic door look like it will kill you yet?

http://i.imgur.com/uhUXgYP.png

So, if I understand it correctly, did you want this room to make a clear and unmistakable indication of an upcoming instant death trap? If so, then I'd say no, it's not enough clear and unmistakable, and I'd rage if I encountered the structure in the game and got killed for my curiosity to approach it.

@Dutch Doomer: Looks pretty good!

The problem with demonic death traps in Doom is that the player won't really expect them. The idea in most levels (and in the official Doom story) is that when there's a sinister-looking gateway to a dimension of infinite overwhelming pain, the Doomguy jumps right in and then tear shit up. Doomguy has jumped into bottomless chasms, pools of lava, and giant gaping maws (sometimes complete with crusher teeth!) so the Doom player's natural assumption when seeing an obvious trap is "I need to go there to complete level progression", not "I need to avoid going there".

What it is actually going to do is give you a weapon (SSG to be exact) but then flood the water tunnels with demons of varying types that you will have to fight through, at the start you can still pull it off but will be drained for supplies for later sections but with the bonus of an SSG.

My idea is to have you do that or have the player come back later to liberate the SSG when they have enough equipment.

This map is going to be a very close quarters map, so the SSG will be an invaluable tool to finishing it.

That or it will house a very important key, not sure which is a better idea right now.

Superluigieth1 said:

We should make a source port which checks for Brutal Doom and doesn't allow you to play unless if you don't use Brutal Doom.

Then people who want to play Brutal Doom will just not use said sourceport, duh. Brutal is a GZDoom mod, and nobody who wants to use it will try to use it with the GZANTIBRUTALDOOMWHINYASSHOLEEDITION fork. Or if it's a forcefully-added feature to Zdoom master they'll simply modify brutal19.pk3 so it doesn't detect it as Brutal Doom.

There's also the fact that Sergeant Mark IV will eventually release a new version that will break it anyways, or that false positives could fuck over mods that aren't Brutal Doom.

In short, it's a stupid idea that will accomplish nothing. Even as a joke, it's pretty worthless.

mrthejoshmon said:

What it is actually going to do is give you a weapon (SSG to be exact) but then flood the water tunnels with demons of varying types that you will have to fight through, at the start you can still pull it off but will be drained for supplies for later sections but with the bonus of an SSG.

My idea is to have you do that or have the player come back later to liberate the SSG when they have enough equipment.

This map is going to be a very close quarters map, so the SSG will be an invaluable tool to finishing it.

That or it will house a very important key, not sure which is a better idea right now.

That actually sounds like a good setup. You would place the SSG on the pedestal, maybe make it rapidly glow or make glow some of the decorative walls nearby. That way, the player would get a suspiction of a particularly thought-out ambush, and so he'd be free to make a choice whether to risk it or not.

Gez said:

The problem with demonic death traps in Doom is that the player won't really expect them. The idea in most levels (and in the official Doom story) is that when there's a sinister-looking gateway to a dimension of infinite overwhelming pain, the Doomguy jumps right in and then tear shit up. Doomguy has jumped into bottomless chasms, pools of lava, and giant gaping maws (sometimes complete with crusher teeth!) so the Doom player's natural assumption when seeing an obvious trap is "I need to go there to complete level progression", not "I need to avoid going there".

Most common death traps in Doom PWADs are crushing ceilings, usually marked with a conspicuous bloody red ceiling (FLOOR6_1 or FLOOR1_6) and ceiling lower than usual - often too low to get out alive!

Problem is that you can't know they're traps until you get there.

printz said:

Problem is that you can't know they're traps until you get there.

Sometimes you can. For example if the crusher already moves when you see it. Or if you can see barrels that cannot be blown up yet. Or if the mapper somehow established and clearly communicated to the player that a certain liquid type will always be deadly. And so on. I believe there are ways to make it clear-enough. These ways mustn't be just a scary detailing, though, or anything that can be confused with a mere cool factor instead of trap indication.

joe-ilya said:

These are pretty basic layouts(apart from the 2nd shot)

And yet, they're far more visually appealing than anything you put on display.

joe-ilya said:

These are pretty basic layouts(apart from the 2nd shot)

Those are IWAD quality layouts with a slightly more modern appeal. I would call a basic layout a cube on a flat ground with a hallway.