Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

Z0k said:

I guess the 2nd one would look better if the whole ceiling "sector" above the grates was nearly fullbright. In fact, the first one would also look better with such a treatment. The light on the floor implies that the light source (whatever it is) must be really strong to cast so much light even through the grate which blocks, like, 3/4 of the light that comes from the source, which means that the parts above the grate should be super lit-up. I can't decide which of the screenshots would look better than the other, though.

I like the effect of the moon with the sky texture, it makes the whole thing look more 3D than with a "closed" ceiling with light textures.

Maybe you can combine both by having light fixtures on the sides of the skylights.

Something like this? because im fact im pleased with this one since have both things, light and view to the sky (but i should get a better space texture and something that looks similar to deimos mountains)

You should do the effect that you had on MAP30 of 50 Monsters and have the rocks fade to purple.

Then whack in a Jimi Hendrix MIDI if people still don't get it. :P

So I decided that I actually despised my baron doodle. It looks retarded. So, instead of just crapping on a piece of paper for twenty minutes and calling it a day, I spent the last five hours of my shift on Doomguy Himself.

So, one third of a pencil later...

Gez said:

There are many reasons.

The first: there were less heavy-duty machinery to move earth and rocks around, so buildings tended to be built based on the terrain. If you had a hilltop that had an irregular trapezoidal shape, then you built an irregular trapezoidal castle atop it.

The second: everything was hand built specifically for the castle, no need to make sure to have standardized shapes just so that your Ikea furniture will fit right. This made getting perfect 90° angles a lot less important.

The third: if the castle was planned by a good architect, the angles of the walls would be thought so as to minimize blind spots outside the castle. This is especially true if you look at Vauban's fortresses. Vauban rocked hardcore, if you like castles you need to look at his work.

Thanks for your post, some good information in there. I'll definitely check out Vauban's works, thanks for the link!

Z0k said:

i just wish Gzdoom could support translucent slope 3dfloors :/
http://i.imgur.com/PsqDH87.png

i dont know if i should keep it with the grid texture or return it to the light texture (which can be seen trough the window in this screen):
http://i.imgur.com/nQFwITj.png

I just thought of a trick that might work...

Say you wanted it to be 'translucent shawn2' (Oh how creative) create a version of shawn2 that is dithered so 50% of the image is transparent, then make it idk, 8x/16x larger. Put the standard res one in the textures of the WAD, and place the high res version in HI_START/END. If it's high resolution enough it may give off the translucent effect more-so than dithered, especially at longer distances.

This is all theoretical, I've not tried and I'm not on a computer which I can try with right now. If you do try it out, show some screens! :P

Ignoring all the above, the texture you selected looks absolutely fine, and I really like the shots you've taken, the map is looking great!

AD_79 said:

http://i.imgur.com/xgorunR.png

I dunno, just messing around right now, I'm bored!

Well unlike most people, your boredom is producing some awesome results! I always welcome good use of purple in Doom!

Here's a couple of shots from the Hub Map from Skulldash:-

I adore the use of green in those shots there it compliments the fine attention to detail. Classic style mapping with a modern and fresh look to it. Is that an SP set or a DM wad?

Memfis said:

Hehe nice pics, could totally use your own personal thread with all these screenshots.

Not long now! I want to have the project 100% finished along with it's own website (which is about 80% ready) so that I can produce a proper 'release thread' rather than an ongoing 'yeah it will eventually be released' type thread. :)

Springy said:

I adore the use of green in those shots there it compliments the fine attention to detail. Classic style mapping with a modern and fresh look to it. Is that an SP set or a DM wad?

Thank you very much! The project, titled SkullDash, is a SP megawad which (should) work on Cooperative. It requires the dev version (v3.0) of Zandronum to work on Multiplayer however, so it might be that I have to later release a multiplayer patch.

rdwpa said:

Pretty nice-looking. Is this going to be a map in 50M?

Nah, this is just a random map I did on the weekend. Might do a few more in this theme if I can be bothered to actually do so.

yakfak said:

i_don't_respect_you_enough_to_use_the_good_textures.wad

It looks pretty interesting.

scifista42 said:

^ That's not a Doom picture, unless you're making a weird TC with pitch-black levels.

Sorry, here's mine

scifista42 said:

^ JPG compression sucks for Doom screenshots. PNG (or at least BMP) are the way to go.

Good advice, except I'd have not mentioned BMP from fear of it actually being used! BMP (Bitmap) is typically uncompressed which means the file size is far larger, and in turn everyone's bandwidth consumption increases.

PNG (Portable Network Graphic) is much better than BMP in most scenarios, especially so for sharing screenshots (It's name even implies this). Typically PNG's are lossless and compressed, which means that the output will be the same for a much smaller file size. :)

JPEG/JPG (They are the same) format is best for photographic images - you can get a crystal-clear screenshot in JPEG but you'd need to export the JPEG from a decent piece of software (Read: Adobe Software or GIMP or whatever) to even have the compression options available to you.

Here's a relevant image, based on the initial argument of don't use jpeg for screenshots:

Of course compressed JPG is better. It adds more depth to the picture in the same way lower resolutions do. Results in a more interesting and enticing look. You want to get there, you want to find out what that area hides. Posting uncompressed screenshots is like getting naked immediately, as Wilou once said.

Another shot of the same area, it seems that "red, yellow and purple" is the theme for this.

Now to actually make more maps :^)