Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

yakfak said:

At first I thought that the point of your "aaaaaaa" scream below the screenshot was your anger over the values of vanilla limit stats, but then I saw the banner in the screenshot too.

Both the design and lighting are not exactly plain but still rather simplistic, yet OK.

walter confalonieri said:

Can i suppose this is based a certain Doomworld Megawad Project 2014 map, eh? Eh?

:D what's the reference?

scifista42 said:

At first I thought that the point of your "aaaaaaa" scream below the screenshot was your anger over the values of vanilla limit stats, but then I saw the banner in the screenshot too.

Both the design and lighting are not exactly plain but still rather simplistic, yet OK.

whaddya mean simplistic? What would you add to that shot to make it better?

yakfak said:

whaddya mean simplistic?

I mean in a vanilla-esque way, which isn't bad at all, specially if there is consistency. I can see many filler textures choices, generic architectural shapes and underdone lighting in the main big area, though. What I meant to say was that this screenshot is neither bad, nor particularly impressive or noteworthy for the visuals or level design it shows.

yakfak said:

What would you add to that shot to make it better?

Firstly, totally change texturing at least (no more BROWN1, CRATOP2, CEIL3_5, FLOOR5_3) and/or structure of the room (no more 128-like heights or uniform-height ceilings, the blocky grey shelter getting a tune-up). Secondly, maybe try to add more depth to lighting and/or more layers of heights/detail (preferably structural, like stairs or ledges with monsters), only if fitting and as much as visplanes/drawsegs would allow.

Trying something for NOVA 3. It's my third attempt, Heavily WIP (I will add other colors later on):

---------------------------------------------

First dm attempt, I hope the semi-symmetry can be ok (for a arena):

looks cool as usual, Noiser

scifista42 said:

I mean in a vanilla-esque way, which isn't bad at all, specially if there is consistency. I can see many filler textures choices, generic architectural shapes and underdone lighting in the main big area, though. What I meant to say was that this screenshot is neither bad, nor particularly impressive or noteworthy for the visuals or level design it shows.
Firstly, totally change texturing at least (no more BROWN1, CRATOP2, CEIL3_5, FLOOR5_3) and/or structure of the room (no more 128-like heights or uniform-height ceilings, the blocky grey shelter getting a tune-up). Secondly, maybe try to add more depth to lighting and/or more layers of heights/detail (preferably structural, like stairs or ledges with monsters), only if fitting and as much as visplanes/drawsegs would allow.

all very subjective though, right? None of that necessarily improves how it looks, just fills up the segs and planes. Also what makes a texture a "filler texture choice"? The theme of the level is hellish surfaces incurring on a brown1 slime base, just throw it out and replace it with... what?

yakfak said:

1. all very subjective though, right?
2. None of that necessarily improves how it looks, just fills up the segs and planes.
3. Also what makes a texture a "filler texture choice"?
4. The theme of the level is hellish surfaces incurring on a brown1 slime base, just throw it out and replace it with... what?

1. Yes. Sorry if I made it sound like something more than that.
2. Of course that not necessarily, it should be done competently too.
3. One that became VERY familiar to me after playing lots of maps of this kind. Usually extensively used in the IWADs as well.
4. To be fair, every texture looks bad when it covers too large continual area with monotonous brightness level. In addition, BROWN1 looks dirty-ugly to me and is not my personal favorite, I prefer ones like BIGBRIK, BROWN96 or BROWNGRN out of the generic ones. One way to combat this is to make each structure out of multiple textures, ideally not random ones, but ones creating some sort of impression. Another way is to do this only with some walls, keeping these walls bright and darkening the other ones.

Guess for what of the million community projects i've participating with a map is this thing?

Spoiler

for the 64x64 grid project

The eternal things that aren't textures will be deleted from the final product...

The Eternal Doom theme was a good idea for that limitation Walter. Also nice shots Noiser, I like how smooth the bases look, if that makes sense =P.

More progress on the squiggly project (which is still a temp title until I fully sort out the plot).

Fooling arround with decorate (very simple, I know xD). Actually, I don't believe I ever saw someone do this before (well not to my knowledge). There's probably some reason though.

Oh, I should have thought it, the screenshots are obviously taken in OpenGL as I see now. Zandronum has a software-rendering mode too, though (and I personally prefer it over OpenGL), so this will force all your players to use OpenGL instead.

I'm considering making an optional patch to replace the truecolor textures with software friendly textures with the violet textures being replaced with blue ones and the cyan textures being replaced with yellow ones.

@Tormentor667: Wow that looks incredible, looking forward to playing me some of that!

@Ed: Woah, that detail is going to give Breach some serious competition.