Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

They remind me of stuff we used to get in 2005 or so. Vae Victus, etc. Cute to see this style again.

By the way. A little misalignment on the left of the third shot (SLADWALL).

Medis said:

U found my inspiration >3

Neat, never knew this is inspired by cloudsdale from MLP.

@Crunchynut44 UDMX tranformed into single player maps? Nice usage of heights in the 3rd screenshot.

Lookin good glenzinho and crunchynut :)

Here's an old behemoth I started in 1999 I think it was, just after Boom had come out and removed limits. Been plucking on it now and then since, but without much leeway after the initial burst. Adding hallways now. I have little hope it'll play very well, but at least the layout entertains me. Will probably be a quite short level when all is said and done.

That last one was shot in noclip mode. Heh.

strange choice of sky given the limited yellow range in the default palette. looks snazzy aside from that

Sky's maybe a little dicey (more in the very cartoony way it's drawn than in terms of color scheme), but overall that looks quite good to me, especially the use of stock assets to accent structural detail, ala the gargoyle-faced bloodspouts emptying into the little channels flanking the main stairway there. And hey, I see cement in the distance! +500 bonus points.

Demon of the Well said:

Sky's maybe a little dicey (more in the very cartoony way it's drawn than in terms of color scheme), but overall that looks quite good to me, especially the use of stock assets to accent structural detail, ala the gargoyle-faced bloodspouts emptying into the little channels flanking the main stairway there. And hey, I see cement in the distance! +500 bonus points.

Looks like it could function as a pretty cool Dead Simple clone arena. *evil grin*

Holy Mother of God was the first thought I had on my mind when I saw the second pic.
Good stuff.

Finished another one, MAP23: Plateau of the Beheaded

(images linked for 1080p goodness)

@soundblock: I see how that sky could be awesome. A yellow sky would definitely compliment that level. Looks great!

@rayzik: where can I play this and other levels of yours? Do you have a link?

About my choice of sky: In PAR (the project the map is for) I'm trying to use the skies to help tell the story in the default story-text files that goes into Doom II. Don't know that I'll be successful, or that it matters much, but the sky goes fiery and these buildings pop out of the sky after the player's been around in "the other dimension" for a bit, and have stirred the pot around, raising hell. Guess I'm giving some cartoony concessions on this one, over individual awesomeness of sky.

They're an easter egg of sorts, and you kind of have to crane your mouselook neck to see them. Anyone notice what arcade game the buildings' architecture is from?

Oh boy the awesomeness in this page! Great job guys!

Anyway, I think the buildings in the sky came from... Tetris, maybe? They reminds me of a futuristic Kremlin, especially in the disposition of the towers / building... but I think that i'm pretty wrong....

Soundblock said:

They're an easter egg of sorts, and you kind of have to crane your mouselook neck to see them. Anyone notice what arcade game the buildings' architecture is from?

They remind me of the very old Buck Rogers game I could never finish on that Amstrad PC 1512.

One day after reading some articles on BASIC programming in a popular science magazine, I decided it'd be simple enough to add more lives to the game, so I opened the exe in EDIT.COM and discovered that it wasn't actually BASIC code but unintelligible gibberish. So I quit and I must have used "save and quit" or something because the exe stopped working. My first modding attempt! :)

Soundblock said:

Older. I'll confirm if someone gets it right. :-)

Makes me think of some game where you played a moon rover and had to jump over stuff.

Iirc, it was basically like the endless running games we have today.

Arctangent said:

Makes me think of some game where you played a moon rover and had to jump over stuff.

That's it. The game is Moon Patrol.

As your reward, here is a postcard from Plasmaplant. ;-)

How have i never noticed how badly the plutonia sky tiles??

I always felt like that kinda stuff sticks out so obviously when i make my own skies but somehow this sky pulls it off and fools me for 20 years until now.

It's probably because plutonia offers very few places where you can get a good panoramic view of the whole sky, thus you can either not see enough of the spots where it tiles poorly to notice, or it is cutoff above the viewing angle of the player making it impossible to see at all.