Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

rdwpa: mmm.. I had thought of doing that too.. but been too busy with everything else. Nice to see that in action.

an_mutt: very circular... kinda cool too.

Trying out detail texture overlays.. with this I could make the base textures clean, which is fast, then just overlay some noise/stuff ingame. I think this is better than the dithers, maybe they're still useful for sprites (they are also somewhat useful for having more lightlevels displayed). The "overlaymap" needs some tweaking, it could have some way to make the colors turn grey, maybe same color in detail and in base texture makes grey?

Jimi I don't want to come off as rude because I do really like CyberShade. CyberShade was beautiful and the simple and clean textures got the point across with minimal visual noise and the big chunks of colour made everything look colourful with distinct groups of colour for each enemy and texture. All the special effects you've added, the detail textures, the lights, the reflections, the dithering, are very impressive on a technical level but visually it's not good for the 16 colour aesthetic. For another project it could absolutely look excellent.

I know you're capable of improving CyberShade but it really doesn't look like it's going to come from any of these new special effects and will instead come from your superb sprites, textures, and mapping. Sounds also, but meaningful screenshots of sound is difficult.

Fonze said:

Sandy would be super jelly of those slime ceilings ;D

Can't wait for the next zzzv map

hee thanks!
even though these sort of areas splurge on hundreds of sectors, i'm trying to retain just a little whimsy, a sense of what was cool in 1994 as well as today...

that same area but standing on the "cogs":

daunting when you start to think "is having the rest of this view be pitch black good enough or should I filigree all those walls too"... after this map its definitely time to delve back into vanilla

rdwpa said:

Spoiler

That was (pretty obviously) not a serious claim.

edit: Although I honestly expected someone like Maes to miss that. :)

But in all seriousness, I am surprised it turned out so well with only ~15 minutes of scribbling.

I fear I missed the point of the quiz.

Jimi said:

rdwpa: mmm.. I had thought of doing that too.. but been too busy with everything else. Nice to see that in action.

an_mutt: very circular... kinda cool too.

Trying out detail texture overlays.. with this I could make the base textures clean, which is fast, then just overlay some noise/stuff ingame. I think this is better than the dithers, maybe they're still useful for sprites (they are also somewhat useful for having more lightlevels displayed). The "overlaymap" needs some tweaking, it could have some way to make the colors turn grey, maybe same color in detail and in base texture makes grey?
http://i.imgur.com/hhnoh7O.png

To be honest, this is ugly. I suppose it is visually interesting in a glitch art sort of way, but I think trying to play something that looks like this for longer than a minute would just make my eyes hurt. The old screenshot torridgristle posted shows how much all these special effects you've added are actually detracting from the low-res, limited palette art style you're using.

Well, yea, obviously it's not going to look like vomit. This was just a very noticeable test texture, so that I notice it actually works.

The amount of noise I want can be seen in these (this isn't distractive?):
http://i.imgur.com/FmaXaUF.png
http://i.imgur.com/qnal5my.png
http://i.imgur.com/EPGcK7F.gif

Now I just need to make some code that allows changing the detail texture... and use shine or not.

Here's some more, now with some better detail textures and shine turned on. Maybe some of them got a bit too grimy, but at least this way it's easy to tweak the grime. There's also now the thing that same color in detail texture and base texture become grey. I don't mind the shine being warped (actually I like it like that), but on the floor/ceiling it's sometimes kinda glitchy. But overall, now it's starting to look like my initial vision for this.

It looks kinda like you chose the wrong palette for an 8-bit display. Or what you see when you run a Dehacked patch with negative damage projectiles.

an_mutt said:

returning to some Return to Necropolis mapping tonight:

http://i.imgur.com/9fo3UMI.png

No in-game shots, because no texturing has been done yet. Absolutely not looking forward to doing the shadows for this map!

How did you manage to beat the grid to make all those circles and arbitrarily angled straight lines/hallways? Sheer hard work or special tools?

Jimi said:

Here's some more, now with some better detail textures and shine turned on. Maybe some of them got a bit too grimy, but at least this way it's easy to tweak the grime. There's also now the thing that same color in detail texture and base texture become grey. I don't mind the shine being warped (actually I like it like that), but on the floor/ceiling it's sometimes kinda glitchy. But overall, now it's starting to look like my initial vision for this.
http://i.imgur.com/6QgCdd5.png

http://i.imgur.com/TFoyO8J.png

I'm very interested in this; keep up the good work!

@Jimi this is an improvement over how it was in some other recent screenshots but I personally feel it is possibly too gritty / noisy. Is it possible to allow the player to choose in the options if they want the filters on or off?

Fill the middle with troopers :D

And yes, the stuff are already options.

Starting to think, I shouldn't mix the blue with the green in the regular colormap. Red/yellow mix works ok, but blue/green just feels almost like a duplicate of green. Mixes better with the grey. One alternative would be to make green and yellow 2 shades, and then add a violet with 2 shades. Then every color is consistently just 2 shades. Mixing red and blue in some kind of dither/etc just doesn't make violet... it just looks like fireblu. All the other dither/etc mixes did feel/look like the mixed color.

Jimi: i actually like this a lot! i like the noisiness, at least of the second shots you posted. maybe it's not something people will be used to seeing and i don't know how it looks while playing in game, but i think it's pretty visually interesting.

Fonze said:

Beautiful; I'm happy to hear you're still working on it!

It will take some time, but the next beta version will be released eventually. :)

Not a picture, sorry, but the final part of this video needs to be animated to be impressive. Also, VERY not final, if you got a keen eye you can see 16 enemies stuck in walls and 2 rendering glitches:

antares031: Pretty colors. Maybe the compblue shouldn't be used in chairs, when it's also used in techier stuff..

Dragonfly: Great. Looks like fun texture pack to use.

Albertoni: Weird stuff... too sleepy to notice keens.

Trying some more blue. The noise doesn't look so noisy in 640x400. Made the shine on the floor into lines, now there's only minor glitching at NW and SE angles.

Underwater... Definitely making stuff more interesting, if I make some vertical tunnels/etc there.

printz said:

How did you manage to beat the grid to make all those circles and arbitrarily angled straight lines/hallways? Sheer hard work or special tools?

A lot of curve line usage, then drawing on the 1/2/4 unit grids to get what I want - doesn't take too much time, as long as I'm planning out everything ahead of time. Results in a fair number of bleeding linedefs though, which is a chore to take care of!

Anyway, aquatex map:

(still finishing up on the outdoor areas)

Jimi said:

antares031: Pretty colors. Maybe the compblue shouldn't be used in chairs, when it's also used in techier stuff..

Dragonfly: Great. Looks like fun texture pack to use.

Albertoni: Weird stuff... too sleepy to notice keens.

Trying some more blue. The noise doesn't look so noisy in 640x400. Made the shine on the floor into lines, now there's only minor glitching at NW and SE angles.
http://i.imgur.com/Ya66z8K.png

Underwater... Definitely making stuff more interesting, if I make some vertical tunnels/etc there.
http://i.imgur.com/oRMMc1S.png

Remind me of aliens Snes for some reasons.

Soundblock said:

Love the bottom left picture in particular, Dragonfly.

Sadly that had to be compromised for the sake of SEGS. :/
I will be trying to add more '3D stuff' in this map since it's vanilla and that suddenly becomes more impressive, heh.