Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

I was vaguely curious if within vanilla I could suck as much life out of the game as the jaguar version did, so using the Calico translation tables, and a weird custom colormap generator I made that works by sucking the luma out of colors rather than fading them to black multiplicatively. This is what I got:

Spoiler

Mostly, I just wanted to see how bad in practice fading a colormap via luma actually would be. Unsurprisingly, it isn't that pretty. dark colors get the life sucked out of them pretty quickly, and it took a lot of turning to get something that wasn't just pitch black unless the sector was incredibly bright.

all in all I think it would probably be better to stick to the original fading method.

This is what can happen if you don't watch out.

Less than a second later, the screen went full red and I was no more.

^First my eyes were blasted with pain in this thread. Now they're blasted with brilliance and I can not decide if it is bad or better.

WIP for Doomworld Megawad Project

Also, how can i add new flats in chocolate doom? Using the -merge command?

roadworx said:

kinda reminds me of that old windows 95 maze screensaver

has anyone ported that to doom yet?

I remember a level based upon that screensaver (without the randomazed maze effect), but i don't remember where or what name it have...

walter confalonieri said:

Also, how can i add new flats in chocolate doom? Using the -merge command?

Put them between FF_start and F_end and it'll work with plain -file.

GoatLord said:

Is the Doom 3 texture pack completely paletted/resized now?

No, we used the PNG textures and we resized them to the size of the old ones we were using

If you use the trick to use new flats in vanilla Doom:

* The FF_START lump is technically not needed, it's just used because it makes it easier to parse mentally and people have always used it.

* Put the new lumps at the very start of the PWAD, because vanilla doom will try to add as a flat everything between the F_START lump in the IWAD and the F_END lump in the PWAD, if you imagine all the lumps listed out with the PWAD following the IWAD.

Linguica said:

If you use the trick to use new flats in vanilla Doom:

* The FF_START lump is technically not needed, it's just used because it makes it easier to parse mentally and people have always used it.

Of course, I'd advise using the FF_START lump. I remember some engines such as EE and PrBoom+ choking when it wasn't present. Amusingly ZDoom handled it with only a console warning

I made as you guys told me to do (putting at the start of my map the floor lumps with FF_START and F_END), but...

...this shit (still) happens. Testing with chocorenderlimits.

Mostly certainly, i'll turn this map into a limit-removing instead of a pure vanilla doom 2 map, if this problem still persist.

Nothing serious, guess I'm going through another phase in my Doom mapping where I'm just not gonna be happy and satisfied with what I create. Like this map for instance, don't like it and don't know why.

If it makes you feel any better dutch, I quite like these screenshots :). In particular I like the brown/silver color combination. It has an Underhalls vibe to it as well, which I like.

Dutch Doomer said:

Nothing serious, guess I'm going through another phase in my Doom mapping where I'm just not gonna be happy and satisfied with what I create. Like this map for instance, don't like it and don't know why.

first off, i get that whenever i try to map, it's normal.
actually scratch that, i get that whenever i make anything.

secondly, it looks great! it's at least 100x better than anything i or most other people could make :)

Whats wrong with me then....

Don't know if you or anyone else had this feeling before that there is just something wrong with the map you're working on that you don't like. But for some reason you can't find the issue that is causing you to think that it is not a good map. I keep re-shaping rooms, removing rooms and drawing new ones but it still isn't the way I want to be. Like my hand is not doing what my brain is thinking, probably its my brain not thinking at all. I'm quite vague huh...

In a way I like the Underhalls vibe and on the other hand I don't, or maybe I don't like it cause its turning into a symetrical fuckfest. I keep hammering on it for a while more, sooner or later I find the cause of my problem. Need to map more, lately I'm starting to slack again, bad Dutch.

Dutch Doomer said:

Whats wrong with me then....

Don't know if you or anyone else had this feeling before that there is just something wrong with the map you're working on that you don't like. But for some reason you can't find the issue that is causing you to think that it is not a good map. I keep re-shaping rooms, removing rooms and drawing new ones but it still isn't the way I want to be. Like my hand is not doing what my brain is thinking, probably its my brain not thinking at all. I'm quite vague huh...

In a way I like the Underhalls vibe and on the other hand I don't, or maybe I don't like it cause its turning into a symetrical fuckfest. I keep hammering on it for a while more, sooner or later I find the cause of my problem. Need to map more, lately I'm starting to slack again, bad Dutch.

lol i'm pretty sure everyone that maps feels the same way about their works.

i mean, look at this part of a map i'm working on:

you might say, "oh, it's not THAT bad. it's decent for a second map!"
but no. it's awful. i see all these other maps and they look so much better, and there's barely any detail, and i think that it just all-around sucks.

don't beat yourself up over it, just listen to the criticism of others. you should take pride in that, while you may not like it, everyone else does. just remember that artists like you rarely like their work, they strive for perfection in every way possible.

The main reason I don't finish anything is because it doesn't look like BTSX/Valiant/Ancient Aliens/anything by mechadon/etc and therefore it's terrible and I should just not bother. You're not alone, it's just perfectionism I guess, having standards of yourself so high it becomes a curse rather than a blessing. Your shots look fine to me, I also like that Underhalls aesthetic to it.

You shouldn't let yourself get discouraged by other people's work just because they're better than the stuff you put out. I'm sure that there's still plenty of room for you to improve. Don't worry about the high standards and other people's stuff, just make a map!

Pretty much what Breezeep said. Personally I think the best thing to do is create a style unique to you so comparisons aren't as inevitable. You could have a particular method (Ribbiks and his unclosed sector mapping comes to mind) or you can Frankenstein together the styles of people you admire and turn it into your style with time and diligence. Above all though you have to give it a go: success isn't very likely if you don't even try. Give it a shot mang. :)

you might say, "oh, it's not THAT bad. it's decent for a second map!"
but no. it's awful. i see all these other maps and they look so much better, and there's barely any detail, and i think that it just all-around sucks.

don't beat yourself up over it, just listen to the criticism of others. you should take pride in that, while you may not like it, everyone else does. just remember that artists like you rarely like their work, they strive for perfection in every way possible.
[/quote]OH LOOK! the crates full of sand! lol
well how long have you been mapping? I have been mapping for about 20 years & I have never made something that looks normal. No matter how hard I may try; my maps ALWAYS turn out "weird" It as never got me down though. When I 1st started mapping; I thought that the way I make maps would be the common way people chose. It wasn't until I started playing "Demon Gate" that I realized that no; I'm the weirdo. So if it makes you feel any better, my maps don't look right either.
(im the guy who makes the gynormus maps with shitloads of fucks in them that take about 1 day to make it through)

Breezeep said:

You shouldn't let yourself get discouraged by other people's work just because they're better than the stuff you put out.

I think it's important to remember that even if you see other people's work as superior, that there's always bound to be a couple of folks that will prefer your map(s) to whatever you're comparing yourself to. I think we all get intimidated now and then (I seriously doubt anyone has opened up a Mechadon map and went "pfft, I could do this"), but it's healthier to spin that negative energy into motivation—or simply keep in mind that you don't have to make A+ maps all the time.

Also Eris pls release more maps.

Yeah, you already have a good sense for visual design, Eris. You just need some practice getting comfortable being more of a dick with gameplay on occasion, and you'll be golden. :D