Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

I found it magnitudes more satisfying to compare my maps not to what inspired them, but to what I envision them to be, considering myself successful when the map turns out to represent as close as possible to what I had imagined in my head.

Looking at others' stuff only helps to fuel that imagination, corrupting anything I consider inspiration into my own interpretation; thus allowing me to create something that I find acceptable, regardless if it holds up to what inspired me.

Developing your own style also helps, and once you've locked down what makes a "you" map "you", it seems to lift the burden that your maps aren't like anyone elses'. It's not a bad thing, in fact that makes them that much better in the long run.

I'm in a similar sector detail boat as you Eris (more related to starting in the first place than finishing, however): I've always had high standards, but the funny thing is that, looking back, it has been somewhat irrational.

Here are shots from a map I made in December 2015:

http://i.imgur.com/8Yd2NDB.png
http://i.imgur.com/Dl2yJXW.png

This isn't terrible, but knowing what I know about mapping now, I could probably make this entire thing in like six hours of work without even looking at 3D mode or opening up the map in prBoom+ until it was time to make sure everything was functional. (The entire primary structure is really horizontal bar spam.) At the time, though, I thought it was really awesome. It even has a whack-a-mole secret fight. :D

From a bit later (with about 3x more hours spent on design):

http://i.imgur.com/ek7p85F.png
http://i.imgur.com/tK5xWuA.png

I think this is decent, but definitely not "hold out for the perfect idea" quality. Current me could make a map with a similar type of layout and a different sort of gritty texture scheme (to cancel out the "if I already mapped with this texture scheme, of course I'll be able to make a similar map faster" factor) in about two-thirds the time without even trying as hard. Minus the ugly room or two that is basically nothing but skintek.

I guess the point is, even if you are a perfectionist, you'll probably look back and be far from amazed with the ideas that finally broke through for you, but you'll have learned invaluable lessons about mapping by starting and finishing these maps in the first place. Ergo, you'll only hold yourself back by not mapping (assuming you enjoy mapping in the first place, that is :P).

BTSX/Valiant/AA/etc. have been cited, but if one analyzes all of the maps in these sets long enough, they'll probably realize that they are far from perfect, and they might even probably notice things that stand out as deficiencies, at least where their tastes are concerned. And I don't mean that as a slight. Nothing is perfect, and it's certainly possible that in 2027, Lord Linguica willing, we'll look back at the 2010s style as somewhat quaint in many respects, after the envelop has been pushed yet further.

The measure of a map's success: Did you enjoy making it? Do you enjoy playing it? Is it theoretically possible -- or, ideally, even likely -- for another human being (or a cat, or a goat) to enjoy playing it?

I also think that while people are in Mapping Mode, they are more likely to be unduly harsh on themselves, because they are analyzing their maps coldly and analytically, as a tangible "thingy," and comparing them to their idea of a perfect map thingy, whereas in reality a map should be better understood to be an abstract experience, and a successful map is one that delivers a good experience, as far from perfect as it might be. For example (speaking for myself here), AA map06 is a tiny map and by no means impressive (if you are familiar with the sort of dynamism it uses), but man was it fun as hell, especially that vile fight. Is it really that much worse than Theoretical Ribbiks-Mechadon Brain-to-GZDB-Interface Map? Maybe it's a lot shorter, but is a 9/10 quality orgasm really that much worse than a 10/10?

To quote Samuel Beckett: Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. lol that's so pretentious :D

What inspires me to map is that even in an awesome level made by another person I will usually find at least some things that irk me. It might be not "objectively bad" stuff and more like a personal preference, but it still can annoy me. While in a map made by me I can ensure that there are no design decisions I dislike. Only I can fully satisfy myself because I'm perfect. Everyone else sucks at something, be it archvile placement, use of tiny switches, or bad wad names.

rdwpa said:

From my WIP, "Alfonzo goes to post-apocalyptic Antarctica to duel chipmunks for control of the world's last remaining Taylor Swift albums"

ah, yes, a classic

That title is highly contestable. Might I instead suggest "for possession of the world's last remaining Taylor Swift albums". Thank you for your understanding, sincerely, a concerned Doomer.

rdwpa said:

[...] whereas in reality a map should be better understood to be an abstract experience, and a successful map is one that delivers a good experience, as far from perfect as it might be.

Very true. It's easy to get caught up in your own head in trying to polish as many perceived blemishes as possible, but tastes are so subjective that no matter how good you make a map you're always going to have a Memfis there to rain on your parade. I think if people walk away from my maps feeling like they're open/interested in playing another, I'd consider that a successful map.

Eris Falling said:

The main reason I don't finish anything is because it doesn't look like BTSX/Valiant/Ancient Aliens/anything by mechadon/etc and therefore it's terrible and I should just not bother.

Art is about showing people whats inside your head. Nobody else is going to be better than you at doing that, in fact nobody else is even capable of doing that.

Also, one of the most important skills an artist can have is knowing when their stuff looks a bit shit, because thats the only way you can improve.

And if you can't get any better no matter how hard you try, well, there's Citizen Kane and there's Paul Blart Mall Cop, and plenty of room in this world for everything in between.

rdwpa: I really like what I see in your post, it looks like Thy Flesh Consumed most ultimately.

Anyway, I've resumed my Strife map. Here are some screenshots:

I really like how NMN's textures fit here, together with the Strife palette! And expect to see some Doom monsters and marines in this. All with Sehacked :D Thanks fraggle, Quasar and Kaiser!

Right then, let's see...DMP2017 underway maybe. Boom format but taken in GZDoom because fancy lighting effects <3
Also massive panoramic fail.

Eris Falling said:

Right then, let's see...DMP2017 underway maybe. Boom format but taken in GZDoom because fancy lighting effects <3
Also massive panoramic fail.

damn, it looks really good with gzdoom lighting effects!

floatRand said:

Maybe I'll be done this week.

Looks lovely. I like the metal halo above the frigid field--if it was me, I'd make the areas under its shadows a tad darker.

kinda looks like one of those obstacle courses that you find on roblox :p

it looks really cool, though! can't wait to play it!

roadworx said:

kinda looks like one of those obstacle courses that you find on roblox :p

it looks really cool, though! can't wait to play it!

I made this part with Mario 64 in mind. Shit loads of 3D floors, floating elevators & you fall; you die. It's quite abstract compared to my other wads. I am playing it right now to make sure it works before I put it up for downloaf.

The whole thing takes place inside a GIANT dome with constant river of lava balls falling from the center of it's top to bottom.

It has the same beginning room as MAULATOR1 & 2.Wad because I LOVE that starting set so much that I am not sure I could ever make a heretic wad with a different starting setting than that. As always in my wads; you start right in front of the exit but have to go through fuckin hell just to be able to open the god dam door.

printz said:

All with Sehacked :D Thanks fraggle, Quasar and Kaiser!

Does Strife VE support Sehacked?

Gez said:

Does Strife VE support Sehacked?

Of course :D With the -deh parameter (even though the files are .seh). That's why I thanked those guys.

Maps for dwango 9 :
MAP06 (took the original layout and completely surrounded it with a layout of my own.

MAP07 (A squad of classic doom arenas)

MAP08 (A green map inspired by MAP14 of Doom2)

MAP09 (took the layout, retextured and redesigned it and added more areas)

Since MAP10 of dwango5 is as abstract as MAP08 and MAP04 of dwango5, I'll just be using the theme of the map)

Memfis said:

I really like the mood Eris. Also you managed to align SUPPORT3 in a highly original way.

I think that's METAL2.

It's a SUPPORT3 edit where it's split into 2 32-wide panels, so there's still some manual aligning involved.

jmickle66666666: yummy looking.

Tweaked the 16 color palette again and tested lighting. I like yellower green better, but blue gets lonely without bluer green, so they work together like red and yellow. Would like to have violet, could have it if all colors (not grey) were just 2 shades (and still fit into 16), but that would make lighting look bad.

The new rendering effects I've done could work better if the palette had more colors and less contrast between the colors? With the current palette it becomes unclear and irritating to look at when in motion, but they worked in making it look like it was more than 16 colors.