Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

19 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

I think this nightmareish void map is very unique and creative. The map's colour scheme changes every time you play or die, with 5 different colour schemes!

The pre-final-boss map of Winter's Fury also has floating rocks in a single-colored void that continually smoothly changes color while you play. :)

@scifista42 I may have said unique, I meant it more in the sense of "Not often mapped" rather than "Never before mapped" :P This one doesn't change colour while playing, only on each 'boot up' of the map, so to speak (so when you enter the map, or die). :)

Inspired by Spyro the Dragon, motivated by the recent changes made to Blade of Agony, here's some improved level select portals, which make use to ZDoom linedef portals (WHEN DID THIS BECOME A FEATURE? OMG <3)

f22f4d7a596a0b0bd2065b0803c84ea3.gif

For reference, below is a gif of what the old portal looked like, in all of it's depthless and pixellated 'glory':

44cab2e619a8bd91c309497de198c703.gif

Doing this requires quite a lot of 'extra map', as seen in the below screenshot. So far I've done 12, with 18 to go plus all of the expansion pack maps. I think the effort is worth it though!

rqb7jfI.png

Edited by Dragonfly : Added in-editor screenie

On 03/04/2017 at 9:47 PM, Dragonfly said:

It's for that reason I am continuing to work on Skulldash even though it saw a release in 2015. That project captivated me and it brings such a fun way of approaching doom mapping for me. Which brings me onto the map Remmirath is making for Skulldash, check out the below, I think this nightmareish void map is very unique and creative. The map's colour scheme changes every time you play or die, with 5 different colour schemes! Each colour scheme has it's own associated piece of music, too. :) I'll post more shots when they're ready ^^

uEIvTaF.png

hUwat92.png

jh3E8zF.png

6k7yKCI.png

84eYKh3.png

The only issue I see is how the brightness doesn't change as well which clashes with some of the darker colours. Now of course it can't be too dark but darker so that it makes a difference, perhaps they could add some subtle coloured lighting.

Edited by Avoozl

I'm completely OK with bright playable areas on dark-colored backgrounds, but less OK with the seemingly slightly varying visibility in the fog, which might be a side effect of the varying color darkness.

When in game you can tell they share the same visibility, but some feel 'thicker' because the surrounding skybox is less visible thanks to using a darker colour, such as purple.

Can you really have it look bright as if the sun is out when you are in a dark foggy area? I am not saying they should make it darker to the point where it's hard to see, I mean only very minor so it makes a bit more sense.

It's worth remembering that ZDoom's "fog" is just Doom's standard darkness, but colored instead of black. Decreasing the light level would make the fog thicker, and therefore make it harder to see stuff from far away.

Perhaps there's something which can be implemented into ZDoom to fix the problem, perhaps a separate brightness for the fog as opposed to the main brightness of the map.

Edited by Avoozl

New area which I'm digging inside a building, under other sectors. Pretty vast space if you ask me. The nearby column is an underground extension of a lamp post platform from the floor above.

The biggest challenge is to make windows which lead outside into the larger complex, because I have to use edge portals for them, and I don't want to make the level feel like a collection of dense sector clusters connected by obvious narrow passages (the portals).

etrn36.png

Finished this computer terminal today, usually something I spend hours on to make them look just right. This one didn't took me that long, I think I did a good job on it. But I still need to edit the rest of the room, next up some chairs in front of them.

Q5.png

Also finished this hallway earlier this week, the hexagonal sky windows are back but a little more detailed this time. I'm going for an old out of use WW2 bunker kind of atmosphere. 

Q6.png

I love mirrors in Doom engine,but sadly it lags too much if you put them everywhere. 

Screenshot_Doom_20161010_210423.png

3 minutes ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

I love mirrors in Doom engine,but sadly it lags too much if you put them everywhere.

What happens if you put two mirrors in opposition? How many reflections? Does it get into an infinite loop? Presumably there is a guard against that.

In GZDoom, the console variable r_mirror_recursions is used to control that. Default value is 4.

12 minutes ago, RjY said:

What happens if you put two mirrors in opposition? How many reflections? Does it get into an infinite loop? Presumably there is a guard against that.

I put to two opposite mirrors in quick test map. It goes like this in software mode. In hardware mode loop  becames white or starts give lag.

Screenshot_Doom_20170408_004204.png

Japanese Community Project looking pretty good.

Screenshot_Doom_20170323_143034.png

Screenshot_Doom_20170323_154249.png

Screenshot_Doom_20170323_160700.png

Screenshot_Doom_20170323_194319.png

haha, it's just occurred to me your maps gave us the most problems difficulty wise in TNS when we played the 2014 and 2015 DMPs, and you've since balanced it out with a 1 monster map last year and something that'll likely crash ZDaemon this year. How many linedefs are we looking at in that shot?

21 minutes ago, dobu gabu maru said:

Should be my last DMP contribution.

last? D:

19 minutes ago, tourniquet said:

It's about time ZDaemon starts supporting extended nodes.

yeah, if only :(

5 minutes ago, Eris Falling said:

last? D:

These maps take a lot of time! I've been trying to throttle back commitments/contributions to other projects in an attempt to built my solo repertoire, so DMP gets cut as a result.