Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

Meh, brown textures aren't a bad thing. And I was being sarcastic... And I think I managed to fuck up my post.

On 6/22/2017 at 6:53 PM, MysteriousHaruko said:

Do not follow my design choices, danke .

UAC_DEAD.wad called, wants their candles back :P

2 minutes ago, rf` said:

UAC_DEAD.wad called, wants their candles back :P

Oh, sorry I'll return them back. They should be in Doom e2m2 crates ;)

Thank you durian and nx. I have a tendency to discount those little "leave it in" things in favor of the big picture. I'll have to be more careful.

For those of you wondering, it is in fact UAC Ultra 2. I spent the last couple months strenuously working on the textures to get them exactly the way I want them. I'm a nerd for efficiency in file size so they're composite textures which means they're mostly a few solid base textures with tiny patches on them for things like cracks, rivets, warning stripes, baked in lighting etc. Its been taking me forever to get the alignments and patches to look just right in the TEXTURE1 lump, and everytime I would start to map id find that I'm still missing stuff. This particular map is the first one I whipped up where I started detailing and actually had all the parts I needed. The idea is to use the baked in lighting so that the maps would look good even with light amp visors on, then do some extra touches for lighting afterwards. It really works -- what you're seeing in the shot is almost entirely 128 lighting outside a few tiny light and shadow gradients in little corners. UAC Ultra 1s textures simply could not look this good. there will also be other fun stuff like bullet holes, blood splats, fake colored lighting, etc.

I dont intend to save this particular map, I have more ambitious level design goals. But for the first time I was actually able to work on something while focusing on detail and actually have all the textures I needed! So I can calmly admit to myself that Im now ready to work on the fun part of the project, which is to actually make maps for it! (although I just now remembered that I wanted to have some midtexture slopes and arches like Urthars dotb has)

I'll probably need some help down the line. I think it could help make the project more fresh if I collab with some people on a few maps, but I'm gonna need a "light" version of the texture pack that features all the base materials and not all the specific detail stuff so its more user-friendly.

10 hours ago, durian said:

@40oz Very atmospheric, esp with the moody lighting.

Small oddity here:

Hide contents

FdsCc5R.jpg.1f16ed7e764f6bc4fbeeb9d06167e79d.jpg

Looking solid.  That 22hp adds to the tension.

General inquiry.  I'm faced with sector lighting "oddities" like this often especially when I have a light near the floor or ceiling.  If it turns out to be too bothersome, I would guess things like this would typically be dealt with by applying a floor/ceiling light transfer or the old floodfill trick, right?

28 minutes ago, Psyrus said:

I would guess things like this would typically be dealt with by applying a floor/ceiling light transfer or the old floodfill trick, right?

Right.

For catching these kinds of lighting issues, one thing that helps is running the map in GZDoom using hardware rendering and then turning textures off in the rendering settings - makes it very easy to sport differences in light level between walls/ceilings/floors. Example:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20170625_101649.jpg.09d0b2fe71a5127ee17d13e1a6ecd1ab.jpg

This cacodemon looks so happy in environment like this.

For serious note, Ancient Aliens megawad gives me weird vibes.   

9oZMId7.png

20 minutes ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

9oZMId7.png

Illuminati Revealed, right? Thats the map? And yes, that Caco is just like "OH MY GOD THIS IS SO AWESOME"

Just now, Phade102 said:

Illuminati Revealed, right? Thats the map? And yes, that Caco is just like "OH MY GOD THIS IS SO AWESOME"

Yeah, it is. I wish I could draw that scene(without the ssg) and use it for avatar, but I don't have skills, so I use generic anime avatar. 

Just now, MysteriousHaruko said:

Yeah, it is. I wish I could draw that scene(without the ssg) and use it for avatar, but I don't have skills, so I use generic anime avatar. 

That  could be done pretty easily, but getting the caco there again would be hard. it would just involve cropping out the bottom part.

3 minutes ago, Phade102 said:

That  could be done pretty easily, but getting the caco there again would be hard. it would just involve cropping out the bottom part.

Well, if person skilled enough, he won't have problems with it ;)

42 minutes ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

9oZMId7.png

I learnt a lesson from Doom. Even if you are going to die , stay happy !

1391427.jpg

Since I mentioned light transfers.  Also, it seems GZDoom takes very dark screenshots.

Screenshot_Doom_20170626_210144.png.d55b40c8d7f5d0b4599f61c3b7ca72a1.png

Edited by Psyrus : brighter shot

7 hours ago, Psyrus said:

Also, it seems GZDoom takes very dark screenshots.

ESC -> Options -> Display Options -> OpenGL Options -> Preferences -> Sector Light Mode.

Set that to standard. :)

etrn68.png.220049447504adaceb5b6a0765566dee.png

Sneak peek at a cool little thing that should see the light of day in less than a week.

I have an instinct that whenever I make a pool of nukage in a less justified location, I'd just want to make head or tail of it immediately.
I'm here to ask your opinion on whether this is still classic-esque enough or I'll better just scrap it for good.
bkcm3kdf9d37d14zg.jpg

fe1d00ee7e48e2de1bf402aa19b88e11.gif

Finally added a way to return from the map you're playing to the HUB map in Skulldash - All you gotta do is die! :P