Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

Been working on Skulldash quite intensely over the last couple of days during my night shifts.

What's new you ask? Well, there's now a scoring system and a 'continue' system. The 2 screenshots that look similar show the same map with a min% completion vs a 100% completion. I actually set a really damn good time on the 100% run, too!

721a7a58b36552c842b3f6b09b0078dd.png

fd4f52b58d03cf014b2b14cde1c3ec90.png

65f6a9110aff9bbf80048c9315d97691.png

The math behind the scoring system isn't too elaborate as I wanted it to be reasonably self explanatory. You gain score points in three ways - time, tokens, and kills. Each kill gives points based on what you kill (with the final boss being worth a whopping 1 million points currently). You get a range of point for the different types of tokens, and lastly, your time is scored up.

Your time is broken down into minutes, seconds and tics (35ths of a second). Each tic is worth 10 points. Each second is worth 420 points (35 tics * 1.2). Each full minute is worth 30,240 points (60 seconds * 1.2) - so ending with 1 minute left (30,240 points) vs. 59 seconds (24,780 points) really pays off! This 'mechanic' was inspired by the way speedrunners value 'sub xx runs', for example, how recently a couple of speedrunners achieved 'sub 1:40' runs in Super Mario 64.

Lastly, if you collected all 100% tokens (which usually involves finding 100% secrets in most maps) you're rewarded with a 2x multiplier to your score! High score junkies will shoot for full completions in the quickest time possible. :)

Edited by Dragonfly : Extra info, formatted better.

@Dragonfly I feel you've really done a great job figuring out how to add a scoring system into the game and not make it just be like wolfenstein3ds where you just go around picking up treasure. you actually have to actively survive while collecting them, and I think thats amazing.

Holly cow ! Thats a very cool level.

I hope you will make a little bit movements and not just a big arena, because this style is TERRIFIC

8 hours ago, Master O said:

Are those Chinese hexagrams in the pool of blood there?

7 hours ago, Eris Falling said:

They look like the flag of South Korea, where antares is from.

Sometimes, you can reference anything around you, just to decorate the floor with symbols. And yes, those are from the flag of my country.

8 hours ago, Angry_Cat said:

Well, i guess this is the best i could do.

Now put a ceiling lamp in the center, make the surroundings a bit darker, and you'll have a nice looking room.

1 hour ago, Angry_Cat said:

Doomcapp.PNG.eb3ee38ea04a131dfd959b5adcbf92b7.PNG

You can barely see the light radius effect, but i think this is pretty good for now.

But, have you noticed how much a difference that make? t he room look completely different, and it looks good. But, at the end of the day ask yourself "Is this how I want to the room to look?"

12 hours ago, antares031 said:

Sometimes, you can reference anything around you, just to decorate the floor with symbols. And yes, those are from the flag of my country.

South Korean Community Project pls? [/joking]  

"You see this? This is where they stuck the pole...right here...you know if I had a body....or arms...and even just floating hands I would be pointing you know!"

..."It's horrible...sat behind bars...you can't even attack...just stare...knowing some...s-some DOOMGUY is going to teleport in and mock you...!"

6 hours ago, Master O said:

South Korean Community Project pls? [/joking]  

When there's only one Korea in this world. ;) [/joking]

6 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

DOOM00.png.37f70faf2e0d101ba9194b13cca083f8.png

(picture taken from Icarus)

Lost souls used as torches is exploitation.

#LostSoulLivesMatter

Nice colour combo, although the orange pillars look a tad muddy. I'm guessing it looks better when it's animated ingame.