Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

On 10/23/2017 at 6:46 PM, Walter confetti said:

Worked more at catacombs 3d texture thing, now changed from png to doom gfx palette and added / edited few more textures, still more works needs to be done.

Nice, so I'm not the only one who played those games.

Back when EB was still just Electronics Boutique, a friend and I bought 5 different Wolf3D/Doom knockoffs from there, and that was one of them (along with Blake Stone, Corridor 7 and Lethal Tender). That and Corridor 7 were my favorites of the bunch. My friend got way into Blake Stone, and we both wanted to like Lethal Tender, but it had an obnoxious damage system where specific body parts could be injured, and while it was an interesting and realistic idea, what it came down to was pressing up and walking in circles if your leg got hit, or losing your weapon if your arm got hit, so we never ended up playing it much.

Regardless, looks like you've got a nice adaptation going. Are you going to make any maps with it, or is it exclusively a texture pack?

On 10/25/2017 at 2:54 PM, cannonball said:

Given my lack of contribution this year, I was thinking of putting together a quick episode of doom 2 maps. The pics are from maps01/2/3/4 respectively.

Those shots look great. The orange sky is hard to use in a way that genuinely compliments the maps, but I think yours accent it just right.

Are you only making 4 maps, or are those just the ones you've started so far?

On 10/23/2017 at 8:33 AM, Remmirath said:

Spoopy lighting:

a92b5a271c0f170d71ac46afa5ebe535.gif

arnie.png.44ac8d89afd3a5d4795e55b161536c

On 10/27/2017 at 2:47 PM, GoatLord said:

I've had this idea for awhile now, about a tech/hell map that starts with the player being given the option to take the blue or red key route to whatever is beyond those portals. After deciding to give GZDoom Builder a go, I began buildiong on this idea and gleefully explored colored lighting, and the ability to use PK3 files (in this case the Doom 64 texture set) to achieve a moody effect.

So Killer Colours part 2?

Because I'd love you forever if you could deliver that.

And by forever, I mean for a few hours.

On 10/27/2017 at 10:48 PM, Doomkid said:

Doomed in Space is ON THE WAY...

Pretty nice old-school look.

Things like those ships in the first shot take me back to playing UAC_DEAD for the first time.

Only thing I think is really off is the dark Mancubus sprite in the second pic. The black imps work because their spikes and eyes/mouths are still aligned with the room lighting so that the skin looks dark rather than shadowy, but the Mancubus has its flamethrowers and other non-skin highlights looking equally dark, and the end result appears as a figure that looks as if it were lurking in a shadowy area despite standing in a fully lit room. It's a stark contrast that immediately jumped out to me when I was scrolling through the pictures. Kind of like when I try to Photoshop myself into outdoor scenery so that it looks like I leave my den more than once a month.

I mean, I figure you probably just imported the sprites from elsewhere, but I'd suggest trying to brighten them at least a little bit.

On 10/22/2017 at 5:09 AM, RjY said:

ORAd42P.jpg

OK, so I only had to look at the picture 3 times to see it wasn't actually a shoddy edit of the Doom water flat overlaid onto the sky.

And I always thought the Doom's water was unrealistic.

On 10/26/2017 at 2:57 PM, Eradrop said:

Screenshot_Doom_20171026_230806.png.600c62b29e29e1ab01fc599321bf1488.png

This looks genuinely amazing.

The vine overhangs on the left side look virtually seamless. On the right, not so much when the ceiling height transitions. It's a very small point in an overall impressive shot, but if you have a lot of transitions of similar height, maybe a transitional vine texture - longer on one side than the other - to connect the two heights would add the perfecting touch.

Unless it's a just an odd line angle that looks like a height variation from the position you were at, in which case ignore this :P Shot's kinda too low-res to tell exactly.

(And, for some reason, the head reminds me more of Prometheus than anything.)

On 10/29/2017 at 12:48 PM, bonnie said:

the most fun i ever got out of zdoom

x6kAQ1l.png

Most fun I've ever had looking at a ZDoom screenshot.

ANYWAY...

Figures that all my inspiration for portal-based design would come for a game Eternity doesn't even support:

tec11-house01-01a.png

tec11-house01-02.png

tec11-house01-03.png

Good advice. I don't have the most keen eye for those sorts of details but I agree that the dark color should essentially be reserved for the manc's skin while his other bits and pieces remain bright. It's on the to-do list!

@Lüt thanks, actually I posted a beta of the texture pack: 

And I just think to made a texture pack only... I made that rooms only for testing the textures... Also I like the piece of trivia about these forgotten games you played back in the days... I didn't even known about Lethal Tender... Sounds like an ambitious CyClones.

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 6:19 PM, Gustavo6046 said:

Wish I had some idea of what I could do to put on this thread, preferably a map...

Make something cheap or stupid, an odd shape, and make 200 different variations of sectors branching out like I'm doing lol. Different themes/textures but the same shape throughout. Limit your starting map. Then go crazy.

15 hours ago, Da Werecat said:

Fuck. Someone beat me to it.

There's a clear benefit to this approach: you can make the reflection as blurry as you want, with a little work. Few things reflect like mirrors in the real world. BTW, if alpha channels work in GZDoom, "specular maps" are a possibility.

Simple specular mapping was basically what I was going for! It doesn't quite work well though as the image of the light glow too obviously remains the same size at any distance (as it's a Sky texture). 

9 minutes ago, NaZa said:

Researching how far can I go without a visoverflow.

I believe the answer is "further than you think but never as far as you want"

That's so true, man. Most of the time I'm making crude architecture to make sure I don't hit it and see it's clocked at about 60, so I chuck a bit more details, and it's 128+. So yeah, detail placement is incredibly difficult to achieve but it's going pretty steady atm.

1 hour ago, Da Werecat said:

My idea was to use properly positioned sprites or walls with textures.

I'd like to see your take on it!

Obviously proper specular maps would be amazing, but that'd be a quite the challenge.  They'd only work with dynamic lights, and you'd want to set up a specular map for each texture if you wanted to do it properly.  But, it'd work a lot better than a normal map would, because as far as I can recall Doom textures don't have "shininess" baked into them, like they do shading.  

ql3xRp4.png
I think I overdone this place way too much as I decided to delete some areas for better gameplay. 

@Remmirath A good start, would like to see more detail in them though! As far as I can tell they're pretty flat currently, but if you compare to any of your favourite textures- lets say that wall on the right- there's so much more going on, even for a similarly basic texture! This is before getting to even more complex textures like the METAL variants, or BRNGRN variants etc.

Keep up the good work, though! Always appreciate ppl making new textures :)

@jmickle66666666 as co-author of these textures with Remmirath, I've taken note of your comments. We've had compliments for making textures which aren't slimy / grimy but instead look clean. Perhaps all the textures can have a 'dirty' variant? :)

A general note on creating textures:

With most art forms—doom textures, level design, fashion, music, food—there is tremendous value in striking a balance between grit and cleanliness, rough and smooth, bold and subdued, large and small, light and dark. Texture sets where everything is extremely noisy grittiness, especially at doom's resolution, are an eyesore. But at the other extreme, the overly plain will look bland and dull just as quickly. Quality minimalism is harder than most realize, while the busier and noisier your texture is the harder it is to ensure it conveys something of value and isn't just pixel vomit.

With very few exceptions, Adrian Carmack was an absolute genius at this. Study his work, in Doom and beyond, and ask yourself if your textures measure up to that level of craftsmanship and artistry. If not, keep practicing. At least that's what I do.

15 hours ago, Angry Saint said:

Eden Log.

eden log.jpg

When I first looked at this picture, the curves reminded me of some of the Sunlust maps.

Grit isn't that hard to do with the right tools. What's been tragically absent from many original texture packs is hand-drawn details.

22 hours ago, NeedHealth said:

qFBwH5S.png

Try to add pentagram on floor

20 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

My map for Gore Prison:

I really like your layout, very nice

On 10/31/2017 at 4:34 AM, Walter confetti said:

And I just think to made a texture pack only... I made that rooms only for testing the textures... Also I like the piece of trivia about these forgotten games you played back in the days... I didn't even known about Lethal Tender... Sounds like an ambitious CyClones.

Oddly enough, CyClones was one of the only early FPS games that I didn't play. Dug through a whole lot of other crap, but skipped one of the more well known ones. Looking at a gameplay video, Lethal Tender certainly didn't match it in the technical category, though I can't say much of ambition in any other regard. If you want a moderately thorough LT gameplay video, check out this one. And note the part from 16:03 - 16:33, the way the screen jerks back and forth while the guy's trying to walk forward with a damaged leg. I would've been gone from the Doom scene long ago if it played like that.

Anyway, texture pack looks nice, though I don't imagine it'll have the variety to support any particularly large projects. Could make for a fun secret level like the original Map31/32 in Doom 2. Personally I'd use them at a 1:1 pixel ratio and build a map on a 64x64 basis rather than the 2:1 nearest-neighbor upscaling they have now, but I suppose the dimensions are more true to the original game that way. It would be great if you could do for those textures what id did for their Doom 2 variations of the Wolf3D textures. I realize that's going well beyond mere adaptation though.

On 10/31/2017 at 4:10 PM, Myst.Haruko said:

I think I overdone this place way too much as I decided to delete some areas for better gameplay. 

Always the hardest but most necessary thing to do. If designing WADs doesn't make you realize that, writing fiction certainly will :|

Typically works for the best in the end though.

On 10/31/2017 at 5:27 PM, Angry Saint said:

Eden Log.

Inspired by the movie?

...wait, looks like you've got more than 2 colors in your map, nevermind.

On 11/1/2017 at 9:11 AM, Pegleg said:

When I first looked at this picture, the curves reminded me of some of the Sunlust maps.

Strange, it actually made me think of an exceptionally radioactive bird holding a ray-gun, but I suppose they're close enough.

On 11/1/2017 at 10:30 AM, Myst.Haruko said:

One last screenshot from my project. This sky and textures blends well.

I was curious what kind of sky would go with that kind of map.

It looks good, particularly since it's curved. It wouldn't work anywhere near as well if it were a straight texture, so good call using the skybox there.

On 11/1/2017 at 12:43 AM, Obsidian said:

Needs more gore.

Fixed:

goreprisonal.png

14 hours ago, Da Werecat said:

Grit isn't that hard to do with the right tools. What's been tragically absent from many original texture packs is hand-drawn details.

Could you show some example of this please?