Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

40 minutes ago, DemonusDefunctus said:

Could you show some example of this please?

Darkening 2 maybe. Mostly made of beams and rectangles. Occasional decal.

Drawing something more complex - like terminals and mechanisms - is hard, but it pays off. Then again, there's nothing wrong with relying on stock (or borrowed) assets for these things. It's not like we're making commercial games here.

3 hours ago, Lüt said:

Inspired by the movie?

...wait, looks like you've got more than 2 colors in your map, nevermind.

Yes, the title is inspired by the movie title. It is a small indie movie so it comes a surprise to me that someone knows it. Well done, Lüt!

20 hours ago, Pegleg said:

When I first looked at this picture, the curves reminded me of some of the Sunlust maps.

I don't recall Sunlust maps shape. I just abused of the "curve line" button in GZdoom Builder.

18 hours ago, Marlamir said:

Try to add pentagram on floor

[..]

Actually have something much cooler than the usual pentagram planned.

Okay, here is what it looks like now. What I talked earlier about is that I made an earlier version of this map in which I made an battle axe out of sectors. Here to hoping I can fit that in somewhere.

zY3FUQg.png

2 hours ago, NeedHealth said:

Okay, here is what it looks like now. What I talked earlier about is that I made an earlier version of this map in which I made an battle axe out of sectors. Here to hoping I can fit that in somewhere.

Some observations, take them as you will

• The railings are only on the far right black pillar not the far left (that might be a secret hint though)
  • It also seems like the candelabras are placed asymmetrically in an area which is otherwise symmetric
  • (Yes all right, not quite symmetric because of the switch on the left.)
  • The wall mounted TV screen in a gothic castle? :) At least it's showing static, there wouldn't be any signal in the Middle Ages.

another day, another layout i make in 10 minutes that i can't fully commit myself to :( maybe this one WILL actually become a full map

XBZuy7O.png

(not done btw it's just 1 path out of several i'm making from the hub)

26 minutes ago, RjY said:

Thanks! Observations are always welcome,

-The railings are only on the far right black pillar not the far left (that might be a secret hint though)

Actually it's just me being me trying to add variation. Actually now that you mention it, I might add a secret.

It also seems like the candelabras are placed asymmetrically in an area which is otherwise symmetric

(Yes all right, not quite symmetric because of the switch on the left.)

-I've moved stuff around since the picture, but remember it as being an illusion -born for some reason out of perspective.

The wall mounted TV screen in a gothic castle? :) At least it's showing static, there wouldn't be any signal in the Middle Ages.

-Actually it's is part of the horrible secret this castle contains.

30 minutes ago, RjY said:
  • The wall mounted TV screen in a gothic castle? :) At least it's showing static, there wouldn't be any signal in the Middle Ages.

There wouldn't be any power either, so it should be turned off. :p

13 minutes ago, NeedHealth said:

-Actually it's is part of the horrible secret this castle contains.

Interesting!

6 minutes ago, Gez said:

There wouldn't be any power either, so it should be turned off. :p

No, all gothic castles have electricity :).

View right by the exit.Same map.

XXb32bJ.png

I really hope @Phade102 ( the project leader) changes the sky. :-P

e- I just noticed that Doomguy is really checking the view out. I hope I have his approval.

17 hours ago, RjY said:

@Lüt At last, the sequel nobody wanted

The sequel nobody wanted to a WAD nobody knew existed.

23 years and 2 reviews, I shouldn't be surprised.

15 hours ago, Angry Saint said:

Yes, the title is inspired by the movie title. It is a small indie movie so it comes a surprise to me that someone knows it. Well done, Lüt!

IMDB recommended it to people who liked Pandorum - which, oddly enough, I did.

I looked up the trailers and it seemed intriguing, but it took me 3 or 4 years to finally track down a legitimate copy on HooplaDigital - some obscure streaming service my local library subscribes to, and allows patrons 12 free streams a month.

I can't say it was worth waiting so many years to watch, but it was an amusing little thing regardless. Incredibly atmospheric if nothing else.

Wutizdis.png.05dd873c11c83313a02fc8c65a8baa97.png
Seems like a normal, nothing special UD Hell map at first glance. Now it's your chance to guess, actually WUT IZ DIS.

[EDIT] Okay, guessing time is over.

Not quite a lot of contestants (and wrong, yet lovely assumptions coming from @Ichor, @SuperCupcakeTactics - though he was right about the "E3M1 remix" part as I reveal later - and @Memfis, respectively), but I should tell this was a product of mine in the moment of ravishness straight outta January - the reimaginement of Duke Nukem 3D's E3M1, "Raw Meat" on the slot E3M1, using only those textures which were either present or omnipresent (i.e. on linedefs entirely out of sight) in the original Hell Keep.

Sadly or fortunately, your decision here, this is about everything remarkable I could pull off before my enthusiasm hit rock bottom and casualties overburdened me once again.

Edited by Cell

32 minutes ago, Cell said:

Seems like a normal, nothing special UD Hell map at first glance. Now it's your chance to guess, actually WUT IZ DIS.

Drive-thru for cacodemons?

39 minutes ago, Cell said:

E3M1 remix with a giant popsicle only cacodemons can lick, or other demons can attack to melt it and drop pieces on the floor.

Mapper's block. I am stumped as to what to add. The intended progression is that you work your way right and lower 1), then loop around and enter the door at 2). I do not know how finish this wad.

WZhlrxz.png

5 hours ago, NeedHealth said:

Mapper's block. ... I do not know how finish this wad.

It looks interesting so far. For 'creative block' some folks even recommend putting it away until you almost forget about it, and look at it again later with new eyes as they say. I find it helps to experiment with linearity vs. branching paths, and narrow/sharp architecture vs. open spaces. It can also be good to look at actual blueprints of well known buildings for inspiration.

When you are 'stuck', you can always do the exact opposite of what you've been doing, if only for the sake of some contrast and trying a different mapping "style". I can't tell but it looks so far like mostly interiors, so you could try an outdoor canyon/mountain area, possibly with other small spaces to check out like guard towers/other buildings etc. Doom is also generally about random 'puzzle' sections so if it's all combat heavy or switches and platforms to that point, you could change up the gameplay one way or another.

If you want most of the map to be just indoors, you can try different types of geometry, maybe this is the part of the base where only the mechanics go or something like that. If it's a castle that section could possibly be the dungeon, or the royal palace (I just noticed the wood floor texture lol). If the rest of the place has a dominant 'color scheme' or a certain lighting, try the opposite - bright or darker, or a varying combination. Mixing up thematic elements in a map is the best way to practice effective transitions/texturing, and this can produce a map that has variety but also feels like a unified level as a whole.

5 hours ago, NeedHealth said:

Mapper's block. I am stumped as to what to add. The intended progression is that you work your way right and lower 1), then loop around and enter the door at 2). I do not know how finish this wad.

lately when I struggle like this, and I take a step back and think about it, I realize it's largely because I'm afraid of the outcome and treat it like I only have one shot. so, to combat this, lately I have been making really frequent backups of my maps and accept (maybe even embrace?) that I might try making 2+ different versions of something before what I end up with is what I really want. so I try to take the pressure off myself by making a backup, then I "just go" and make a version of the map (or the portion of it), see how I feel about it, then maybe just go back to my latest backup and try again

Strife mapping is pretty hard, so I'm really excited to see a serious Strife mapset being created. Keep up the good work!

9 minutes ago, Spie812 said:

Strife mapping is pretty hard, so I'm really excited to see a serious Strife mapset being created. Keep up the good work!

Much appreciated! I half assed my last project from 2012, that's definitely not happening this time.