Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

I managed to make my first Doom 3 static model. Yay!

I used Blender to work on a .blender file and downloaded a small plugin to export it as .ase (3dsmax format) for Doom 3. 

What I learned from it:

1. Setting up Blender "materials" (different materials than those from Doom 3!) with "textures" feels a bit clunky but does its job. They will use the UV map information you set with the U key on the meshes in edit mode. Do NOT rely only on the user-friendly textured display; some materials with textures must be setup in their tabs on the right pane. Luckily it becomes intuitive soon.
  2. Furthermore, read how Doom 3 hacks its way into recognizing the .ase format on id's Doom 3 development guide. It involves some file system engineering...
  3. The model can still be divided into logical objects before exporting. In fact this is almost always recommended, because...
  4. ...for .ase at least, material references can only be applied per entire objects. One object can't have separate textures for parts of its mesh.
  5. Some .ase export scripts, like the one I use (luckily Python and thus serviceable) produce a format Doom 3 doesn't understand, so I have to edit them to work.
  6. Blender's only quirks are the different key/mouse bindings compared to DarkRadiant (bug-fixed Doom 3 editor) and the somewhat poor file open/save UI. Otherwise it seems remarkably stable, capable and luckily with the Internet, also extensively crowd-documented.

The torch is classic Doom inspired. I'll probably put more detail or fix its textures a bit. I realized it looks like a screw, maybe I'll either take advantage of this look, or change it. And I'll likely create variations of this, so it doesn't look like copy-paste.

shot00057.png

50 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

Looks pretty awesome @Not Jabba. Interesting that the fountain isn't frozen, I guess it's heated? :P

You can't really tell in this screenshot, but I'm going for a mix of water and ice throughout. The level is partially frozen but not entirely.

6 hours ago, Tango said:

gorgeous island map

Is it weird to want to live in a Doom map?

Improved the torch a bit so it looks more like the one from Doom and less like Mickey Mouse. Now it looks like something fitting in Heretic :D Maybe I can turn it into a magical weapon :)

shot00058.png

@SuperCupcakeTactics Thanks! That is a typical Industron map, a visual style i created towards 2011 after being stunned by Tron: Legacy and mixed that awesome visuals with Industrial pieces. I know many people dislikes Techbases, but what about Ultra-Techbases?

@Eris Falling Nah, Doom '16 is actually nice in the Lazarus Labs theme since it starts use lightstripes like those i did as fine detailing.

I'd love to see the industron theme for some singleplayer maps. It's a shame the CTF maps are just too big or too plain for anyone to be interested in, they look neat anyway.

@Marcaek

You made me search for Doom Reinforced Mapset here, and seems in the oblivion of my memory, the last 2 Industron screenshots i posted here is there, have you tried any of the maps there anyway? Can't complain about not having SP/Coop maps in this style atm :P And currently a fresh new one is being made, i just halted it for some months but it is back to activity now and hopefully i'll finish it by this month or December.

hot damn Zanieon that looks gorgeous. I would love to see a single player map like that, looks absolutely beautiful

I've started adding areas to the map. So far it reminds me of Quake a lot. I suppose stupid UAC technician zombies won't fit in such a map. I wonder if anyone has made a Shambler monster for Doom 3 (or was it just that map called Shambler's Castle...)

shot00060.png

printz, I get that you're excited about this project but maybe the progress vs screenshot balance can do with a bit of tweaking.

I've no issue with one-a-day posts myself, but maybe when there's a little bit more than (below) to show for it ;)

7d65d3ac3f3021f520c0540637775efa.jpg

3 hours ago, Tango said:

yall trying to scare him away or what?

Well, they did. I'll try to keep it to myself on next occasions.

1. Can't progress much when all I have is 2 hours per evening.
  2. Stock textures are limited (decorations severely so), so I need to make do with them until I make new assets.
  3. I deliberately start low detailed and repetitive so I can change the layout later easily.
  4. I really like when I make something that I thought was daunting for me. Or when I put in practice something I just learned.
  5. I feel the need to communicate what I do.

@printz Please continue posting pictures here. That's what this thread is for. Just post them less often, when you have major changes to show off.