• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

41 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

provide more backstory as to why these specific sigils

Shit looks cool, yo.

But more seriously: I do take inspiration and symbols from real world references a lot of the time, but Doom has always been super loose with this and just broadly flirts with the aesthetic. This is consistently true all the way from 1993 to 2016, and I continue in that spirit. So I might turn something upside down or add something or juxtapose things, and it's kind of fun to seek out the more obscure stuff, like in this shot from Dragonfly's post.

1 hour ago, InsanityBringer said:

P6aeU8d.png

doing theme testing for a followup to Starlight Sanctuary. This one is the Legendary Sea of Stars, based on yet another dungeon in a dumb gacha game. The bosses of the dungeon are aquatic themed so I'm trying to incorporate that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRcPA7Fzebw

9 hours ago, Catpho said:

Reveal hidden contents

546iXKO.jpg

-Valiant(take a look @skillsaw):

Yeah, great artwork by Kurashiki. I was thrilled when I saw it. I actually have a framed print of it hanging on the wall.

18 hours ago, VanillaExtract said:

Still catching up on the must-play WADs in Doom's history. This moment in Epic2 had me chuckling for a minute.

DOOM 7.jpg

This scenario is also in Epic 2? Really?... not again :S

6 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

This scenario is also in Epic 2? Really?... not again :S

It wasn't the gameplay scenario so much as how it was revealed. For the most part the WAD had been composed of tombs and jungles up to this point. This hellish, evil room occurs near the end of a tomb-themed map (which, in turn, is near the end of the WAD) with a predominantly grey and brown color scheme: only Egyptian murals and fountains decorate the walls and floor. However, when you find the final key, you open a door which uncovers a room composed entirely of flesh. Upon getting to its far wall, you are dropped down a pit and end up staring this bleeding pharaoh zombie in the face with all the revenants dancing around it. The drop also only lasts about a frame, so it functions as a very muted jump scare. Other WADs and games have climaxed with fire and flesh, of course, but it was especially impactful here. 

26 minutes ago, VanillaExtract said:

you are dropped down a pit and end up staring this bleeding pharaoh zombie in the face with all the revenants dancing around it.

This is the scenario I was talking about, I've seen it originally in Alien Vendetta, then in Deus Vult II and Jenesis too, differently decorated of course, and in the first two cases you enter to the area from tunnels instead. Perhaps in Epic 2 it's a little bit different, I have yet to see that. 

3 hours ago, Ke-Sula said:

Phobos at 2018.03.22 20-03-10.095 [R2787].jpg

I saw some slopes in some of the other pictures, so it looks like you're using UDMF. If so, you can rotate the floor texture so the lights along the wall can be going sideways along the wall all the way around, and not sticking out from the wall in some places.

^ Could be "ZDoom (Doom In Hexen) format, etc, but I doubt it heh. Regardless, good advice. If it's not UDMF but is still ZDoom based, you could use the following ACS feature: Sector_SetRotation()

19 hours ago, InsanityBringer said:

P6aeU8d.png

This one is the Legendary Sea of Stars

Very fitting name, it looks amazing, magic in fact.

7 hours ago, Empyre said:

I saw some slopes in some of the other pictures, so it looks like you're using UDMF. If so, you can rotate the floor texture so the lights along the wall can be going sideways along the wall all the way around, and not sticking out from the wall in some places.

Thanks for the great tip. I'm using UDMF, how exactly do i rotate floor textures?

17 hours ago, Ke-Sula said:

Thanks for the great tip. I'm using UDMF, how exactly do i rotate floor textures?

In GZDoom Builder, you set the Rotation in the Surfaces tab of the Edit Sector window.

Those are so cool Zanieon! Not sure if I could effectively play the maps, i'd constantly be stopping to look at all the details..