Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

2 hours ago, Catpho said:

-Agent6's screenshots are from a wad called Ancient Aliens, by skillsaw and crew (not by Agent6)

Wish I could create something this good looking, but I've no idea if I'll ever have the time to properly learn mapping, this summer doesn't look too bright so the plan is screwed for now.

Also I completely missed any info on the wad, I had no idea what I'm jumping into :v . Let's just say AV is nothing compared to the insanity of this wad. MAP19 (I think?) made me want to smash my head on the keyboard for its entirety. This is just pure masochism to me.

But in the meantime:

doom00.png

54 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

MAP19 (I think?) made me want to smash my head on the keyboard for its entirety.

Hmm I recall MAP19 being pretty easy, but I played AA on a lower difficulty and it was only MAP21 that made me feel like that, the title of Cyberbullying definitely suited that map, unfortunately the Cyber bullies the player and not the other way around :P I also didn't like MAP23 the first time I played it but I can't remember why so it deserves another shot at some point.

4 minutes ago, Eris Falling said:

Hmm I recall MAP19 being pretty easy, but I played AA on a lower difficulty and it was only MAP21 that made me feel like that, the title of Cyberbullying definitely suited that map, unfortunately the Cyber bullies the player and not the other way around :P I also didn't like MAP23 the first time I played it but I can't remember why so it deserves another shot at some point.

I was mistaken, it was MAP20. MAP19 was also a pain but definitely not to the same degree. That's how it looks on UV... I would've probably probably chosen HMP but since I forgot completely to read about the wad, I jumped straight to the middle of the pool and now I suffer the consequences. I saw how beautiful it was and started playing, expecting it to be something else than what it really is.

But for now, MAP18 was by far the most rage inducing map. I was starting to worry whether PrBoom was going to crash given how much I reloaded saves there. 4. Fucking. 4. Arch-Viles at the end + large waves of Cacos coupled with some Lost Souls and PEs. Yeah, I must really hate myself... not a great sight at all. Oh, and almost dry on ammo too ;_; . There's also been plenty of suicide exits despite the resource starvation in a couple of levels so I'm not exactly seeing their purpose either. I'm yet to find a level I can fully enjoy but given that I'm nearing its end that's not going to happen...

Eh, that's what happens when you want to play stuff but you suck.

6 hours ago, Teder said:

@Agent6, @Bridgeburner56 hey guys can I play your maps? I love those colors and style.

Sure can. I'll be putting out the call for playtesting the first 4-5 maps hopefully by the end of June. You can follow progress here

For my next map I plan on adding a statue that acts as the entrance to the final section of the map. Spent the last two hours trying to get the thing to lower and change texture, ended up settling on two switches. Look isn't finalized, might use 3d floors but haven't decided yet.

statue.png

9 hours ago, Classicgamer6 said:

For my next map I plan on adding a statue that acts as the entrance to the final section of the map. Spent the last two hours trying to get the thing to lower and change texture, ended up settling on two switches. Look isn't finalized, might use 3d floors but haven't decided yet.

Here's how you can lower the whole statue and change texture with one switch:

Make a sector outside the map with the desired floor height.

Make smaller sectors around that sector, one for each sector in the statue.

Join each sector in the statue to one of those sectors, making sure to select the statue sector first each time.

Set the switch to lower to lowest floor and change texture with a tag that matches the sectors in the statue.

Flag all the outside-the-map lines as Not Shown on Map.

If you decide to use 3D floors, have the switch lower both the floor and ceiling of the control sectors by the same amount, enough to put the whole thing just beneath the floor. That would make the statue keep its shape as it lowers.

6 hours ago, Ex Oblivione said:

^

@Dragonfly how much time would you say was put into that?

The project was started around mid-march I think? If the file creation date of ‎18 ‎March ‎2018, ‏‎14:11:53 is anything to go by. So.. jeez, a map a week at this rate!

So, it looks like in my never ending struggle I managed to finally die. And went to Heaven?!

Well well, it seems to be the only place left for me to go to, I must've been too bad for Hell to handle me, and no Purgatory or Underworld could contain the beast of me either xdd. But I suppose I wasn't deemed as honorable enough to go to Valhalla. Oh, indeed, my own mischievous and deceitful ways. And no ancient god would want want to weight my heart. So they decided to plot against me and convey me somewhere where I could not do much and trusted the demons with the decision of what happens next. What possible fate could wait for me at the corner in this twisted dimension? The true masters are truly coming.

Now that the joke's over, this level seems to look pretty awesome. The previous map was probably the easiest in the journey but perhaps due to its great size and the high quality assets used PrBoom+ isn't able to handle things too well, I noticed a fps decrease outside after the action intensified. MAP18 shared a similar story when I approached the end of the level. And MAP23 also made me love hiding behind pillars, suck it Arch-Vile :p . 

doom00.png

doom01.png

Edited by Agent6

Just for fun, this is how Nathan Lineback chose textures for his E1M1 conversion in Marswar:

zRbvwCt.png

3 hours ago, Jaska said:

After many days (or weeks) in mapping block.. Now some experimentation and progress to the forest-themed map. Yeah!

v4F2NC6.png

I'm thinking to divide my project into 2-3 episodes as suggested in the original development-thread. If I stick to that (somehow I doubt) I only need to finish this forest map!

Wow! This is a great example of the potential Doom has for more organic environments.

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

Oh god all the lost souls. Ever.

Yeah. They're at least hitpoint adjusted via a dehacked patch so they have the same number of hitpoints as Heretic gargoyles, which means they only take about a single shotgun blast each.