Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

So, we were talking about crt monitors, huh? Watch these:

Screenshot_Doom_20180505_151936.jpg.d4c795d57a8f6ed25b6d3139ccda7a0c.jpgScreenshot_Doom_20180505_151938.jpg.17506b2a9d72e3365936944938df4c46.jpg

Notice these scanlines :D

Edited by Teder

More images, this time from an old mod called Dimensions of Time by one Matthew Tropiano

I probably butchered his last name.

Spoiler

kSUaAkf.png

The revenants will kill everything in the room, myself excepted.

pyYjpgT.png

JoN3euI.png

SrVaj8O.png

ZKPCxz5.png

Cherry Tapping the cyber because he can't hit me here.

9DSFR9O.png

Captain Planet would not like this...

image.png.8d88848cf699f82252ec1a46408a0128.png

The cacos have arrayed themselves to stop me doing Gaea's will!

Know what I wish I could do is an animated flat of snakes moving around so you could make it like a damaging snake pit. That'd be kinda freaky.

5 hours ago, Teder said:

Notice these scanlines :D

But PC monitors didn't have scanlines?

In television sets and computer monitors, the entire front area of the tube is scanned repetitively and systematically in a fixed pattern called a raster. An image is produced by controlling the intensity of each of the three electron beams, one for each additive primary color (red, green, and blue) with a video signal as a reference. In all modern CRT monitors and televisions, the beams are bent by magnetic deflection, a varying magnetic field generated by coils and driven by electronic circuits around the neck of the tube, although electrostatic deflection is commonly used in oscilloscopes, a type of electronic test instrument.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathode_ray_tube.

Most relevant information underlined.

As I remember, looking very closely at a CRT monitor revealed where the electron beams struck the screen properly.

However, this may not be, because

As a matter of safety, the face is typically made of thick lead glass so as to be highly shatter-resistant and to block most X-ray emissions, particularly if the CRT is used in a consumer product.

All that said, my experience with hardware and cathode ray tubes is extremely limited, so feel free to take this with a grain of salt.

More properly the scan lines are the lines that are scanned by the electron gun and lit. But most people use it antinomically to designate the black gaps between the actual scan lines...

TVs had these black bands because they were meant to be watched from a distance. At least ten feet usually. At this distance, the black bands were unnoticeable normally. Computer monitors, on the other hand, were meant to be watched from up close and personal, what with resting on your desk and also being used to write letters and stuff in small characters. So their image quality was much higher than TVs and you didn't have noticeable black bands. Most scanline filters used in retrogaming stuff are trying to imitate the effect you had on TVs (where you played all these console games), not the effect of a CRT monitor.

Remember that cathode guns are basically bombs made somewhat safe. Also the CRT capacitators can store a dangerous charge powerful enought to hurt you for like a day at least since the CRT was unplugged... maybe more.

e - actually I found a forum post saying that the CRT capacitators will store a charge indefinitly because they release to air if the TV is unplugged. Here's a whole thread about it

https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?t=1017117

Edited by NeedHealth

Dooting doot less CRT talk and more Doom images!

unknown.png unknown.png unknown.png unknown.png

Have some "knurling" textures~

@Eris Falling that looks so great. Love the smooth dark red and black in the distance.

Hell...

Screenshot_Doom_20180506_115603.jpg.ff3ea6d5230c2f99e3b576a2858f2cfe.jpg

What is glowing in the distance?

Archvile!

Nightmares...

Screenshot_Doom_20180506_121035.jpg.549172dd161df70b6009e908b598443a.jpg

...behind every corner...

Masterboss

... and finally... face of evil...

Edited by Teder

19 hours ago, valkiriforce said:

Know what I wish I could do is an animated flat of snakes moving around so you could make it like a damaging snake pit. That'd be kinda freaky.

Didn't "Blood" have a series of flats like this?  I remember having to cross a snake pit on a high-wire in the Circus level...

20 hours ago, valkiriforce said:

9 minutes ago, Lutz said:

Didn't "Blood" have a series of flats like this?  I remember having to cross a snake pit on a high-wire in the Circus level...

giphy.gif

ASNAKES.zip